Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Using DeGiro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Just signed up and transferred from my bank to degiro.

I expect the "transfer funds" task will stay there until 48 hours time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Presume because it's the weekend the transfer will not execute until Monday, so may arrive on Tuesday? First transfer make take a little longer.
    Pussyhands wrote: »
    Just signed up and transferred from my bank to degiro.

I expect the "transfer funds" task will stay there until 48 hours time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Sometimes when I click on a stock (during trading hours) there is no price listed or no chart available for the stock. Anyone know why this happens?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

el diablo wrote: »
    Sometimes when I click on a stock (during trading hours) there is no price listed or no chart available for the stock. Anyone know why this happens?
    Some exchange feeds are not free or implemented.

I signed up to DeGiro on Saturday morning and manually transferred money from my bank to degiro. But it's still saying I need to complete the task of transferring money.

Is it possible there hasn't been enough time yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 RockDaddy

Yes, most likely. It takes two days for transfer to complete, once the funds have landed they will email you to continue with your registration. You will the be asked to fill out some forms online for tax, residency, proof of identity (they can scan passport through your phone) etc.

I just completed mine last Friday, its all fairly simple in fairness.

Noob question but when it shows the "difference" for a stock you have bought, does that mean difference from total including fees?

i.e. stock bought for 100 euro, meaning 99.50 in stocks would show -.50?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭dickface

Noob question but when it shows the "difference" for a stock you have bought, does that mean difference from total including fees?

i.e. stock bought for 100 euro, meaning 99.50 in stocks would show -.50?

I'm close to being 100% yes on this just always forget to check closely.

So I'm up and running in DeGiro. Waheyy.

Now where do I go to learn about buying things like the S&P500 tracking thing? Is this what an ETF is?

Did I read you can't buy US ETFs in Ireland anymore?

You cannot buy US domiciled ETF's, you can still buy ETF's that track US indices. From IShares, Amundi, Xtrackers etc...

• Advertisement

dickface wrote: »
    You cannot buy US domiciled ETF's, you can still buy ETF's that track US indices. From IShares, Amundi, Xtrackers etc...

How similar is this to having the S&P500?

And how do you buy them on degiro?

It tracks the SP500 so the very same
    https://www.justetf.com/en/how-to/sp-500-etfs.html
    Search for these on degiro. They should have a few. Try to find lowest TER and some highish volume so there isn't a large spread between bid and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

How similar is this to having the S&P500?

And how do you buy them on degiro?
    If i'm not mistaken, they are taxed differently and have to deal with the deemed disposable rule...

Taylor365 wrote: »
    If i'm not mistaken, they are taxed differently and have to deal with the deemed disposable rule...

Anyone got more info on this? I'm a noob. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

I've just recently opened an account with DeGiro. I'll generally be passively investing small amounts in areas/sectors I think will take off (particularly tech related areas) in the long run.

I was wondering what site/source could people recommend for market newws/info. I have an ongoing subscription with the Financial Times which I find to be reasonably priced (student deal) but I've recently subscribed to Bloomberg also (they were running a deal) just to see how it compared. I like both for different reasons but I'll probably stick with the FT since it seems to be more reasonably priced in the long run.

Are there any other good news sources out there or should the above suffice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Full of pumpers and shorters but Seeking alpha is ok for news (pinch of salt with the comments)

I'm currently reading through a Day Trading book (I think it's a 5 books in 1 special) and taking some notes just to understand how to trade, strategies employed, the mechanics of the market etc.

However, I'm guessing that DEGIRO is too expensive to day trade on given the transaction fees involved. I would think that the fees associated with the high transaction volume involved in day trades would quickly erode gains and compound losses

Are there any other low cost trading platforms that might be more useful for day trading? Or is DEGIRO the lowest cost operator in the EU/Ireland?

I'm currently reading through a Day Trading book (I think it's a 5 books in 1 special) and taking some notes just to understand how to trade, strategies employed, the mechanics of the market etc.

However, I'm guessing that DEGIRO is too expensive to day trade on given the transaction fees involved. I would think that the fees associated with the high transaction volume involved in day trades would quickly erode gains and compound losses

Are there any other low cost trading platforms that might be more useful for day trading? Or is DEGIRO the lowest cost operator in the EU/Ireland?

DeGiro is the cheapest in Ireland by a distance for general trading! The others are extortion!
    There are cheap options in the UK but not available to us.

Not sure what platforms day traders in Ireland use??

Im no expert, but if DeGiro is too expensive, is it more likely your volume is too small?? How much money is required to start day trading??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭syntheticjunk

I was wondering what site/source could people recommend for market newws/info.

For me personally - Barrons and The Economist works best to get long term macro view.

Thanks, I'll definitely check those sites out

RockDaddy wrote: »
    DeGiro is the cheapest in Ireland by a distance for general trading! The others are extortion!
    There are cheap options in the UK but not available to us.

Not sure what platforms day traders in Ireland use??

Im no expert, but if DeGiro is too expensive, is it more likely your volume is too small?? How much money is required to start day trading??

Yeah, I haven't started to invest yet but it'll only be peanuts initially, which would mean that the transaction fees from multiple trades would probably have a big effect. No matter, I'll just hold off until I've a bit more disposable cash to play with.

I was just hoping there might be a platform similar to RobinHood operating in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

If your gains can’t overcome a 2-20 Euro fee, then you’re not winning much in trades.
    Plus fees can be offset for taxes as the cost of doing business if I’m not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Hi all,
    Have been away for a while now and so not 100% up to date. Based on what I have seen, there is no change with Degiro and US Domiciled ETFs.
    Does anyone have any experience with any other offshore brokers that deal with Irish residents? A few have been mentioned here and there but nothing concrete.
    Just got a letter from Leeds Building Society to say that they are closing their deposit business in the country and so I have until the end of September to find a home for the money.
    Cheers

Thanks, I'll definitely check those sites out

Yeah, I haven't started to invest yet but it'll only be peanuts initially, which would mean that the transaction fees from multiple trades would probably have a big effect. No matter, I'll just hold off until I've a bit more disposable cash to play with.

I was just hoping there might be a platform similar to RobinHood operating in Ireland

Ya, in the US and UK you can trade daily for very little, makes day trading more affordable for smaller traders.

I would always have thought though that you would need at least 10-15k to be a day trader. Even being successful with 2% a day leaves you with a basic enough income, not accounting for the inevitable losses along the way.

But I have never day traded and know little about it, just assumptions

When I log into DeGiro today I see that my whole portfolio has disappeared and no sign of any of my orders or account balance etc. Anyone know what the hell is going on? Does not seem to be a very trustworthy service and it seems to take them almost a week to respond to emails.

When I log into DeGiro today I see that my whole portfolio has disappeared and no sign of any of my orders or account balance etc. Anyone know what the hell is going on? Does not seem to be a very trustworthy service and it seems to take them almost a week to respond to emails.

No such problem, what were you holding?

dickface wrote: »
    No such problem, what were you holding?

It works a bit better for me when I use Microsoft Edge instead of Chrome. I can now see my portfolio but their user interface is woeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

It works a bit better for me when I use Microsoft Edge instead of Chrome. I can now see my portfolio but their user interface is woeful.

Yup, nothing for me now. Chrome, Edge and Mobile showing white screen.

Ah well, twas fun while it lasted...back to shootin craps again.

For stocks where they don't list the price (eg on the TSX) how are they calculating the "day difference"? I purchased some stocks today at the current market price but straight away it show a 25% loss on my holdings (in the "day difference" of this stock) even though the price hasn't moved...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

For stocks where they don't list the price (eg on the TSX) how are they calculating the "day difference"? I purchased some stocks today at the current market price but straight away it show a 25% loss on my holdings (in the "day difference" of this stock) even though the price hasn't moved...

https://mobile.tmxmoney.com (it'll say RT beside the price if it's real time) check out bnn and level 2 quotes as well if tsx is delayed.

Careful the current market price on a lot of places is delayed make sure it's real time your looking at. Buying at the current market price is a rookie mistake. Put in your bid and grab some popcorn.

Edit..
    Sorry misunderstood you have to work it out yourself to see what your holding is worth right now if not correct in Degiro.
    Just use xe to convert the price into euro and it'll be close enough to what should be reflected when updated.

• Advertisement

https://mobile.tmxmoney.com (it'll say RT beside the price if it's real time) check out bnn and level 2 quotes as well if tsx is delayed.

Careful the current market price on a lot of places is delayed make sure it's real time your looking at. Buying at the current market price is a rookie mistake. Put in your bid and grab some popcorn.

Edit..
    Sorry misunderstood you have to work it out yourself to see what your holding is worth right now if not correct in Degiro.
    Just use xe to convert the price into euro and it'll be close enough to what should be reflected when updated.

Thanks. Yes, I had the real time price and was using the Tmxmoney website also . Seems to have corrected itself now and my "day difference" and "total difference" look correct.

Advertisement