Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

Racket wrote: »
    Could be maybe a paid sub feature when that comes in? That way they can limit random people searching to adults, or adults who have paid for their kids. Or it might just be a feature implemented to everyone when they get the proper online system off the ground in the autumn.

Well if I have to pay to use friend codes I'm out. Proper online nintendo. You have no excuse if you're trying to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Well if I have to pay to use friend codes I'm out. Proper online nintendo. You have no excuse if you're trying to charge.

Well if u don't pay, u won't have online, which means u won't need friends!! Makes no difference. They said it's free online for 6 months so it's prob while they test out new features, such as gamer tags.

Also, a lot of posts in this thread so far. Lots of people must have gotten their switches early!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Well if u don't pay, u won't have online, which means u won't need friends!! Makes no difference. They said it's free online for 6 months so it's prob while they test out new features, such as gamer tags.

Also, a lot of posts in this thread so far. Lots of people must have gotten their switches early!!! :p

I'd like to play online. I'll have to cancel my arms and splatoon 2 plans if they don't address it at e3.

Kimishima so far seems like a much better business man than Iwata was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭druss

I have mine. Store sent me a text to collect at 5.30. Arrowed across town by metro and tram and running like crazy. Arrive 10 minutes after closing, but shouting "Monsieur, precommande!" got me that Hollywood "airport scene" happy ending. Bus home now.

I would have considered asking for another game and maybe the neon snipperclips bundle, but I didn't want to overstay my welcome. Great bunch of lads!

They said it's free online for 6 months so it's prob while they test out new features, such as gamer tags.

"new features"... "gamer tags"

Gamer tags have been around since the 90s. Hardly a feature, or new!

Edit, did they have gamer tags (read: usernames) on the original Commodore 64 Internet in the 80's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

bit late posting but it's mine since 00:02

played a few minutes of zelda look amazing
    now gonna head to bed

big day ahead of me tomorrow

"new features"... "gamer tags"

Gamer tags have been around since the 90s. Hardly a feature, or new!

Edit, did they have gamer tags (read: usernames) on the original Commodore 64 Internet in the 80's?

Read back on the conversation and you'll see what I meant...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,575 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I have it!

Deadly looking yoke.

Alright, Switchy. Let's roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

I have it too... :) Copy from the main thread... But gotta love those pictures :) Homer J Simpson Drool....

Finally Home, 2am and only turning it on, 6 hours to work :)

Unboxing stills, hhummm Treasure this moment, might be 2020's before we get another Nintendo Launch Switchmas Events. Its been a blast lads...

MS_dl0Kq6MlFAZzsL52xm8XaY-96I-p99dKNCSQakF9ES7iklrNMxt_fD38SC1mLF8tRrNlAEfoZU-79-1OOjP1l3GVfow3wj8IhMVZerXOdB3ihKOeb8fy4mk6eUEwKBwACPfE0cAI1ujQShfXOk74bDr3m5aPtds3uVzMuilSuio2pJFv8WFiXtxD1x4XrDIouxJ3VQOX9i95lXC6an9lI4GrL6-ERnlqwC3s0Jiyfq76GEXz7OaPcxonMSrdLxje6Eb9mKAj9XRp3X1f7mMVle3DhFikEt5BYwkhSHPRrK98KHG11oi1hguFKymPBckGR0GmqqBHa4glhnDUKAWHuqlTuttH0x1bNl-zQ9j9_voS3sudb5cTPvTALDk9zil-Lnw5HzkOCso-z1TBZA98K2yh6nRCeWMm37iYDP6s9wMVGCrTklB5ytOSxOPW7Mz-_Xas4ZikUVl-mGpWE1S21vlXS9SIYbjfFUoKa2qUtyMHDFgSlP4KC82_vkbYa_dId2g-FolRZmIxaSK04VT9_jGJsmkCCe0nZtO0Q494Qc6QZLZ2nccA6GQFH7seIfZVf7jZxp6KduRqzoNY96X9mdVJLboMujghAlq2BGMYNu-LYY_Np=w2570-h1265-no

All the bits of cardboard and crap fit neatly back in the empty box.

That doesn't always happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Got mine.

Friend codes aside. I'm kinda impressed by Nintendo's online service holding up. Now my last console was a Wii but by the stuff you read I was expecting the worst.

Got a music CD in the Zelda limited edition, the only device that can play it in my house is a PS 4 :pac:

The only headphone jack is on the console itself. That's super annouing when it's under the tv and the controller is in my hand.

But jeez it's so sleek!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Got my Switch and Zelda Special Edition tonight in Smyths Tallaght. Sound bunch of lads there early. Been just messing about with it since. I'm in love with it. Got the Neon colored joycons! :D Couldn't resist!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    The only headphone jack is on the console itself. That's super annouing when it's under the tv and the controller is in my hand.

That bothers me a bit - it's not possible to play on the tv using headphones. Unless you sit right infront of it or have a ridiculously long cable.

Does the pro-controller have any sort of port underneath it other than usb for charging? Wonder could they bring out some adapter for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Got mine set up now...house full of laughter as the kids snip each other to bits before school 😃

Overwhelming first impressions are (a) it is so fast compared with the WiiU and (b) it is soooo small

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Andrew76 wrote: »
    That bothers me a bit - it's not possible to play on the tv using headphones. Unless you sit right infront of it or have a ridiculously long cable.

Does the pro-controller have any sort of port underneath it other than usb for charging? Wonder could they bring out some adapter for it.

I'd highly recommend this for anyone who uses Bluetooth headphones, will work from your TV or if you plug it in to the switch itself.
    Bluetooth Transmitter Avantree PrivaII low LATENCY

It has its own battery so can be charged which makes it portable enough for use on the switch.

Very surprised that Bluetooth headphones are not supported out of the box though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭druss

Those neon joycons are catnip for toddlers. The things were produced for my attention and explanation a few times.

I hid the tablet and joycons before leaving the house. Need to buy screen protector and case somewhere today!

Report from home. Boy stands in front of empty Switch Dock, pressing buttons on Wii U Pro controller. Some day, my friend, some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Got mine in Airside last night with no preorder, just stood meekly in the queue and the chap wasn't even fazed the fact I had no preorder...

Only opened it this morning with the lads before school, they are PC gamers so they don't really care... :)

Got Shovel Knight off store which bring back the SNES memories...

What boardsie was I standing behind? :)

Could see the lad in front of me was reading boards on his phone, didn't want to say "Hi I'm Fieldog, what's your boards handle and Nintendo ID" as that's just plain odd... :)

I was the dude in the big fluffy snorkel type jacket... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Andrew76 wrote: »

You could use something like this and then regular bluetooth headphones : linky

Edit - just saw @lafors post above suggesting something similar - sorry about that !

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

I went up to Smyths in Carrickmines last night, I was 4th in the queue at about 11:15, I'm glad I went up early because I'd say there were at least 80 people, if not more, queuing up!

Played Zelda until 3am! I'm very impressed with the pro-controller and everything loads so quickly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Anseo!
    As I said in the other thread last night, the console is tiny which is great since it's in front of the tv. The joy con grip is really comfortable. And was all so quick to set up.
    I like how the dock had the compartment for the wires. Wonder if the hidden usb slot is expected to take a hard drive.

I thought there would be a catch in the dock to hold the console. As it stands I had to hold it in while taking the joy cons off

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

22846806.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I collected mine from GS in Swords this morning at 9.05. There was only two people there when I arrived, I was expecting to have to wait around a while. All I collected was the console but they tried to push a lot of extras on me. Wasn't interested in anything else though. I want to give the Joycons a good trial before deciding on the Pro Controller.

Was everyone here told about the joycon issue? Smyths told me. I guess to stop returns based on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was everyone here told about the joycon issue? Smyths told me. I guess to stop returns based on it

no mention to me in GS anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Picked mine up in GS Parkway this morning, it is so small! Chilling now with Zelda for the day, very impressed so far!

CastorTroy wrote: »

What JoyCon issue????

What JoyCon issue????

There were some reports about the left joy con disconnecting if too far from the console or obscured in some way

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I have mine. Currently charging in the dock... I think.

There was a green light but it has gone off. Is it still charging or...?

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    I have mine. Currently charging in the dock... I think.

There was a green light but it has gone off. Is it still charging or...?

Had that same concern.

Wait, now the light seems to be staying on?

Advertisement