Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PC Gaming, General & Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

well if you want to take it as that's what i meant, sure lol

or it could mean i just don't like competitive gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

nesf wrote: »
    It was more like "Ooh, Warcraft in Space.."

Especially with its original interface

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8u66UKm43ZgQmphaLF_nmbZEfvL63n7RXYRVeKxZ_loWVxM3SUA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Shooter? Curious as to the genre here.

You shoot guns therefore it is a shooter in my mind!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Mass Effect 1 is a Space Opera RPG. Mass Effect 2 is a Space shooter with some fun RPG elements. Mass Effect 3 is like 2 but with an addition of a really excellent multi-player that can affect the single player storyline. It's probably fair to say that Mass Effect was a lot of things to a lot of people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Shiminay wrote: »
    It's probably fair to say that Mass Effect was a lot of things to a lot of people :)

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

As an aside, I think Jenna Coleman is the most lovely of lovely ladies currently appearing on our TV screens, I hope she has a long and wonderful career after the Doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

As an aside, I think Jenna Coleman is the most lovely of lovely ladies currently appearing on our TV screens, I hope she has a long and wonderful career after the Doctor.

Yeah about that. This was her last season, she'll be in the Christmas special and then gone apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

She's good but she ain't Karen Gillan!

sweetie wrote: »
    She's good but she ain't Karen Gillan!

Nobody is Karen Gillan (except of course, Karen Gillan). Even bald and blue in Guardians she was the epitome of loveliness

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Just bought Fallout 3 (original disc long gone) wife working evenings for the next few months.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Just bought Fallout 3 (original disc long gone) wife working evenings for the next few months.

Congrats on an amazing and long overdue purchase.
    You're in for a treat ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

dreamers75 wrote: »

Can't work out which bit the smiley is for... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I've definitely been a convert to Total Biscuit over the last few months but he has that really irritating habit of putting the word "frankly" in every single sentence.
    There's a fella I work with who does the same thing.

It's a bit like football people putting "to be honest" anywhere it'll fit but neither their honesty nor TB's frankness are ever in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Gbear wrote: »
    I've definitely been a convert to Total Biscuit over the last few months but he has that really irritating habit of putting the word "frankly" in every single sentence.
    There's a fella I work with who does the same thing.

It's a bit like football people putting "to be honest" anywhere it'll fit but neither their honesty nor TB's frankness are ever in question.

Great,every time he says frankly now im going to notice:pac:

I have to say i like his review style. I think he manages to most of the time talk about a game in a good critical way without letting his own opinion take center stage.

I feel like i know a lot more about a possible purchase after watching his vids. I dont get the same sense of the games being reviewed from most other reviewers. I did find him an aquired taste though,took awhile to appreciate his style.

I like the WTF videos, they don't help me that much with knowing if I'd like something but they are very good for helping me spot games that I really, really won't like due to some mechanic or visual aspect that might not come up in a decent written review. I like RPS for their reviews also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I was thinking there was a massive gap in the market for a WH40K FPS.

Sure enough:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

from what I understand though WH40k games have been pretty **** lately. didnt one come out this year that got totally panned?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Space Hulk was released last year, and was pretty poor from what i read. It was more of a strategy/xcom style game though.

Not even, it was a direct port of the board game and it took all the annoying parts of being a boardgame (slow to set up, slow to move characters) and replicated them on our screens. Terrible design, terrible execution. Unskippable animations of slow and clunky Terminator marines stomping across corridors, awkward interface causing mis-clicks and RAEG! I looked forward to that one in a big way and it was fking awful, I could only play it for about 10 minutes before giving up and wishing for my €20 back.

This, however, could be briulliant, but I'm not holding my breath. The Space Hulk brand means it's going to be very limited in its scope unless they're going to throw continuity out the window which will do nothing except enrage GW fans who are the people who will make or break this game. Even Space Marine that came out a few years ago - an incredibly fun game for any GW fan and a really well put together shooter for anyone else who was interested in that sort of thing had a real problem getting noticed (of course, being a part of the THQ doomed empire didn't help).

Mordheim looks interesting:

And Eternal Crusade would interest me if it didn't say MMO - I got burned by the Star Wars thing - couldn't get past the fact that I fking despise MMO mechanics (standing there hitting something for 2 minutes with a lightsabre and it not being instantly dismembered is not something I'm prepared to tolerate). I've also just noticed that it's going to be F2P micro-transaction supported, so I'm definitely out.

Overheal wrote: »
    from what I understand though WH40k games have been pretty **** lately. didnt one come out this year that got totally panned?

There's a turn based, hex based 40k game coming out from Slitherine that looks interesting. I think it's going to be similar to the (popular from the genre) Panzer Corps.

It might turn out to be a grognard only affair given Slitherine's track record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I was actually thinking of Kill Team and Storm of Vengeance. Both came out in the spring, and both were reportedly terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Kill Team was alright...ish.

Space Marine was a brilliant game but that's a few years ago now. Great single player and totally under-rated multiplayer.

I enjoyed Kill Team for what it was - a simple Twin Stick shooter with loads of DAKKA. Funnily enough, it was also Unreal Engine 3 and used the same assets as the Space Marine game - it was released as a kind of teaser and is intended to be a prologue to the main game. I spent a lot of time playing it co-op on the 360 with my girlfriend, it was most enjoyable since we're both big 40k fans.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

So I may have just dropped a few blips on Far Cry 3 and DA:Inquisition....

If you don't see me for a few days, send food and water as I'm probably running low.

i was rank 1 in that for about a week at one point

Sprucelee76 :)

It's tough going at first but when you get decent weapons and mods it's great :)

have ye solo'd any yet?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

ME3MP was definitely the biggest surprise I've experienced in gaming in the last few years. I slated them for adding it, and expected a tacked on crapfest. What I got was one of the best MP experiences I've ever had (or at least in the last few years). So much fun, and a huge amount of content for it.

Hopefully DA:Inquisition MP will be half as good.

i had a solo gold video on youtube somewhere with a level 18 batarian soldier

Those inferno grenades are brilliant

yeah, here

42 minutes of beatdown against collectors on gold :)

might squeeze a quick one or two in now then :) though i'm pretty crap on plat, gold is my comfort zone.

Also waiting for DA:I too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Ugh Far Cry 4 black screen issue....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭Wossack

I <3 Planetside2

shocking prices on in game items though :/

Advertisement