Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starting out - some questions

• 15-03-2013 12:57pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK, so I'm going to give this a whirl this weekend. I have some questions. First off let me state that I wont be paying for the premium membership (until or unless I start doing this frequently)

Is there a nice map that I can look at that shows approximate cache locations near me? (edit: nvm, I found the "live map")

What kind of thing is suitable to bring along to leave in the cache. Can you give me an example?

Is geocaching.com a horrible money making racket? I found it incredibly irritating. Constantly trying to make me pay. Couldn't even order by difficulty (really a pre-requisite for your first cache) without upgrading.

Are there alternative sites to geocaching.com that I should consider?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Khannie wrote: »
    What kind of thing is suitable to bring along to leave in the cache. Can you give me an example?

Is geocaching.com a horrible money making racket? I found it incredibly irritating. Constantly trying to make me pay. Couldn't even order by difficulty (really a pre-requisite for your first cache) without upgrading.

Are there alternative sites to geocaching.com that I should consider?

Anything small and family friendly is usually the norm really. Keyrings and the like. Although, it's not a requirement to leave anything unless you want to take something. :)

If you look at the live map for your area, click on the caches that you are interested in, and it will tell you the difficulty level of the cache. No need to search really. I only use the search function when traveling outside of my own area. However, if you would like, you can PM me your general area and I will do a search for you if you want? I am a premium member, but only because a lot of the more interesting caches are premium members only.

Geocaching.com is the "only" official website that I am aware of. I wouldn't be trusting any others if I'm honest.

HTH. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

No its not a money making racket
    They have staff to pay.
    The website to maintain
    The servers to maintain.
    Also premium caches does help protect the cache a little bit. prevents people not into caching finding caches and taking them

The Live map is what you want

some caches are tiny and only has room for the log book just :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Don't forget to bring a pen! :)

Advertisement