Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Tommy and Hector Podcast

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Am I wrong in thinking that that works out at paying €2 per podcast?

Has anyone tried it yet? I would definitely pay for it but had presumed they'd use Patreon like everyone else. If I can't access and queue this in my normal podcast app then I wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

You'd want to be mental to pay for that tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

humberklog wrote: »
    Am I wrong in thinking that that works out at paying €2 per podcast?

Yeah, looks like around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Has anyone tried it yet? I would definitely pay for it but had presumed they'd use Patreon like everyone else. If I can't access and queue this in my normal podcast app then I wouldn't bother.

You can add it in your podcast app alright, I use pocketcasts and it added in no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭onrail

Never mind paying for the podcast....

What I wouldn't pay to see the curtain pulled back and Simon Pegg appear and have a chat with Tommy on the Saturday night show...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Cienciano wrote: »
    Fair enough I suppose, but works out at €8.61 a month which is expensive when I compare it with other podcasts I pay for. As much as I like it, I'll give it a miss.

Compared to the likes of Second Captains it's very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Whatever about Tommy T

The very idea of paying Hector mc gobsh1te money to listen to his scutter talk is funny....I’d pay not to listen to him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Whatever about Tommy T

The very idea of paying Hector mc gobsh1te money to listen to his scutter talk is funny....I’d pay not to listen to him

Hector makes the show work imo

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

JoseJones wrote: »
    You can add it in your podcast app alright, I use pocketcasts and it added in no problem.

Happy days. Must activate it today. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 singmeasongy

I already pay a sub for spotify where i listen to podcasts not entertaining the idea of paying extra. Think the quality of the podcast is getting worse and not sure they have the content for another one.

Fair enough have a patreon if people like to donate something but they already have alot of advertising/sponsors on their podcast.

Cant see a second podcast being worth paying for not like tommy and hector are short of a bit of money and your helping out somebody who is strugglng to make any money off podcasts as only source of income with no sponsors.

Greedy and bad move. :cool:

onrail wrote: »
    Never mind paying for the podcast....

What I wouldn't pay to see the curtain pulled back and Simon Pegg appear and have a chat with Tommy on the Saturday night show...

I don't watch the show myself but doesn't he have 2 strict rules for the producers?
    No friends. No comedians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭onrail

humberklog wrote: »
    I don't watch the show myself but doesn't he have 2 strict rules for the producers?
    No friends. No comedians.

Ah yeah heard that.. Doesn't seem as if Pegg is a friend any longer though!
    Comic actor maybe more than a comedian.

Anyway, it's fairly unlikely RTE would have the budget or the influence to get him, but still think it'd be class to see Tommy's reaction after his story on the pod this week.

I already pay a sub for spotify where i listen to podcasts not entertaining the idea of paying extra. Think the quality of the podcast is getting worse and not sure they have the content for another one.

Fair enough have a patreon if people like to donate something but they already have alot of advertising/sponsors on their podcast.

Cant see a second podcast being worth paying for not like tommy and hector are short of a bit of money and your helping out somebody who is strugglng to make any money off podcasts as only source of income with no sponsors.

Sort of agree. I pay for Irish History Podcast because a lot of work goes into it, it's not a massive podcast and I like to support it. Hardcore history too because I'll listen to each one 3 or 4 times, podcasts are amazing, long and really well researched. Second captains because its daily, so you get plenty for your money.

But at the end of the day, the can charge what they want, plenty won't have a problem paying fair play to them if they make a few extra quid but it won't be from me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

I think that's harsh, I personally haven't seen a drop in quality but I am surprised how they manage to have so much to talk about each week! Also, their financial circumstances are irrelevant, they're not a charity. Nothing has changed for you, you still get your free podcast every week. Not sure how that amounts to greed.

I agree though that with all the other subs on the go €8.61 is expressive. I'll sign up for now as I look forward to the show each week. I imagine once lockdown lifts and I've not going on in my life, this sub will be first to go and you'd wonder if they'd keep this going long term either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Awful contrived shiote

You'd want to be mental to pay for that tripe.
    Awful contrived shiote

You probably should have took the hint when you were ignored the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

I skipped this podcast for the past year as I'm not a fan of either Tommy or Hector on their own. I really enjoyed Tommy's first few stand up Dvd's but the rest turned into him shouting and acting weird. Hector sometimes plays the jack the lad a bit much for the cameras in his shows.

But gave the podcast a go based on the recommendation from a family member and I love it. Am working my way through the older episodes during the week and some of them have me pulled up in stitches when I'm out running.

I usually fast-forward when Tommy's doing his weird sleazy whispering voice.

But won't be paying extra for the bonus episode for now. As others have said they already get money from advertising.

Also am I wrong but I thought all money made from the podcast went to Laurita's Hospice?

Judging from the payment page, if you pay both pods are ad free. I have no problem with ads tbh, but can't imagine it's much revenue for a podcast like this

On last week, Tommy on Simon Pegg was fùcking brilliant. Also, the story about telling his "friend" about a problem he had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Cienciano wrote: »
    Hector in his army camp with his mother looking for him was great

Just caught up with that episode yesterday, and it was probably the best one overall.

Their stories about what riding was like back in their day was hilarious, as was Hector's tale of getting guitar lessons :D

The latest few have me glad I paid for it.

Loved the section from Monday about what you get from your parents.

2 standout moments was Hector talking about Rosco making the phone call and the 2 lads talking about the kids playing GTA. I was listening while lifting boxes, almost dropped them!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

The podcast coming from Ballina/Knockmore is a disgrace

Tommy and Hector totally obnoxious towards the people of Ballina

Very disrespectful towards Laurita

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Raoul

Sorolla wrote: »
    The podcast coming from Ballina/Knockmore is a disgrace

Tommy and Hector totally obnoxious towards the people of Ballina

Very disrespectful towards Laurita

I didn't think Hector was to be honest. Tommy definitely. Without doubt the worst podcast so far. Tommy was being an absolute pr1ck. Keeping the joke up for 2/3 min would have been fine but I think it went on for 15/20 min, to the point where it just seemed like he genuinely hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Raoul wrote: »
    I didn't think Hector was to be honest. Tommy definitely. Without doubt the worst podcast so far. Tommy was being an absolute pr1ck. Keeping the joke up for 2/3 min would have been fine but I think it went on for 15/20 min, to the point where it just seemed like he genuinely hated it.

I’m sure it’s no fun for Laurita driving to Galway from Mayo every week for the podcast.

She never complains - never bitches about Tommy and Hectors home place.

I think the podcast coming from Knockmore/Ballina was a big deal for Laurita.

Tommy was a guest in Lauritas home town and he humiliated her.

Very bad form and an extremely bad way to treat a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SteadyNed

That pod reminded me of the 3rd day of a stag, where everyone is wrecked with hangovers, broke and want to get the hell out of ****ing Carrick-on-Shannon.

Tommy was like that fella in the group who everyone hates but was only invited because he's the bride's brother. Prick of a lad looking for a fight all weekend, trying his best to wind everyone up. Laurita like the best man trying to stay diplomatic :)

Nah I think they hit the nail on the head there - they'd spent too long in each others company and were wrecked from the drink.

I agree, I thought Tommy was unbelievably nasty about Ballina and Mayo, and it put a real downer on the podcast. I felt bad for Laurita and if it was me I would have walked out of the studio. Both Tommy and Hector treat her badly, Tommy is worse but in several episodes I have noticed them either talking over her or ignoring her completely.

I was really enjoying the first few episodes but they need to start bringing on some guests its getting boring just listening to the two guys talking about themselves!! Like who gives a toss what Tommy wears or if he drinks whiskey or not, at least Hector has some interesting stories.

Straight away I thought..."hmmm, Tommy hit the bag hard last night".

He sounded just like myself (or friends) the morning after a lot of coke. I thought Hector was covering like mad bringing up dust allergy and antihistamines (Peritic and solpadene being my go to).

In fairness they're pretty open about their drug use which is quite refreshing particularly in Irish media.

How come Tommy never brings up his house in Dalkey? He's mostly there (pre-Covid anyway).

It was an awful, awkward Pod that they really should've binned and re-recorded a few hours later.
    If that made the cut (pun intended) then what didn't?

• Advertisement

has anyone listened to the subscription episodes? maybe they keep the better content for that one, and the rest for the free episodes, I’ve been listening since the beginning but it definitely has gone a bit stale the last while. Tommy did sound like he was in bits, whatever the cause

Advertisement