Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mining - Solar PV

Options
  • 15-04-2021 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭

Now that I have solar PV and am working from home, I'm playing with doing some ETH mining.

Have found a few guides etc to follow but am wondering whether anyone has done something clever with managing to mine while the panels are generating an excess?

Even something as rudimentary as scheduling it to start and stop an hour either side of sunrise and sunset would be a nice bit of automation.

Any thoughts or input?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,764 ✭✭✭✭unkel

From a financial point of view it's unwise to only mine during daylight hours (on your PV) as the revenue from mining is worth several times even the highest electricity day rate. So just mine 24/7 and be glad your PV is working for ya :D

I got into PV myself soon after I started mining, even though at the time I had free electricity. I use the rigs to partially heat the house in winter and in summer I usually slow down the mining / sell some stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Alkers wrote: »
    Now that I have solar PV and am working from home, I'm playing with doing some ETH mining.

Have found a few guides etc to follow but am wondering whether anyone has done something clever with managing to mine while the panels are generating an excess?

Even something as rudimentary as scheduling it to start and stop an hour either side of sunrise and sunset would be a nice bit of automation.

Any thoughts or input?

You would probably make more money selling electricity back to the grid.
    But love to see output in a few month.

markmoto wrote: »
    You would probably make more money selling electricity back to the grid.
    But love to see output in a few month.

You don't get paid for selling electricity to the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

unkel wrote: »
    You don't get paid for selling electricity to the grid.

Check this out
    https://greennews.ie/mss-scheme-energy-sold-back-to-grid/

Eh, yeah I'm well aware of that, we've been waiting for that for years ;)

Not here yet though, it is supposed to be introduced in July. And it will only work if you have a smart meter, the vast majority of people do not yet have one. They are being rolled out but it could be 2-3 years before you have one. And then when all is setup for the feed in tariff, the rate is likely very low, barely worth your while unless you have a huge array and you don't use most of it yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

From a financial point of view it's unwise to only mine during daylight hours (on your PV) as the revenue from mining is worth several times even the highest electricity day rate. So just mine 24/7 and be glad your PV is working for ya :D

I got into PV myself soon after I started mining, even though at the time I had free electricity. I use the rigs to partially heat the house in winter and in summer I usually slow down the mining / sell some stuff

Thanks for the reply, I'm just dipping my toes in with my current pc which is just about breaking even as it's fairly old - GTX 1050ti, hence wanting to opitmise for solar PV. You'd think it would be fairly easy to schedule programmes to run and PCs to turn on / off at certain times but I've not found anything particularly obvious.

Even a 1050ti is very profitable mining 24/7 even if you paid all of its electricity use at €0.20/kWh! Night rate and solar PV are small added benefits that reduce your cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Even a 1050ti is very profitable mining 24/7 even if you paid all of its electricity use at €0.20/kWh! Night rate and solar PV are small added benefits that reduce your cost.

Would you recommend ETH or something less mainstream?

You can't mine ETH with a 1050ti unless you do it in Linux using lolminer in zombie mode. And even then you get badly reduced hash rates. Plenty of other coins you can mine though, many of them pretty profitable!

I picked up a P106 (basically a GTX1060 3GB) there a few days ago for €60. It mines about €1 per day minus electricity costs of about €0.20. Gives you a good idea of profitability, your 1050ti does a bit better than that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭randombar

Looking for a rig to get into this, any suggestions?

• Advertisement

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Looking for a rig to get into this, any suggestions?

You building it yourself and learning along the way or are you looking to purchase a turn key solution? Budget? Where are you placing the rig, does it have to be quiet?

Yup, build myself, decent budget, would be happy to spend a few more quid if it saves elec or better return.

Problem is all GPUs are ludicrously overpriced. All modern stuff is now about 100% more expensive than full RRP :D :eek: Mid range cards selling for the guts of €1000. Each. And second hand older cards that sold for €40 about 6 months ago, sell for €250 now.

Perfect storm. Mining is very profitable, so miners want nice GPUs and everyone wants to get into mining. Plus a lot of people with nothing to do because of COVID who spend their time gaming and desire nice GPUs. This big demand for cards is opposed to the huge shortage of global silicon chip production, so very little supply. Meaning prices go up and up.

Problem is all GPUs are ludicrously overpriced. All modern stuff is now about 100% more expensive than full RRP :D :eek: Mid range cards selling for the guts of €1000. Each. And second hand older cards that sold for €40 about 6 months ago, sell for €250 now.

Perfect storm. Mining is very profitable, so miners want nice GPUs and everyone wants to get into mining. Plus a lot of people with nothing to do because of COVID who spend their time gaming and desire nice GPUs. This big demand for cards is opposed to the huge shortage of global silicon chip production, so very little supply. Meaning prices go up and up.

What kind of GPUs should I be looking out for? Are there older ones that are decent or ones for 500/600 new that would get me going?

Any GPU can mine as long as it has at least 3GB of video RAM. Unfortunately there are very, very few new GPUs to be found. Anywhere in the world.

So the only important thing really is the GPU, what about the PSU, is it worth investing in an efficient one?

Good PSUs are also extremely expensive and hard to get. It often makes more financial sense to buy a cheaper, less powerful, less efficient PSU. Depending on your requirements too obviously. And how quiet you need the rig to be (i.e. if you have it in the house as opposed to in a garage / outbuilding / basement)

I have mine in the house and I do have a couple of high end very quiet and very efficient PSUs. But I wouldn't buy them if I had to pay today's price for them

Good PSUs are also extremely expensive and hard to get. It often makes more financial sense to buy a cheaper, less powerful, less efficient PSU. Depending on your requirements too obviously. And how quiet you need the rig to be (i.e. if you have it in the house as opposed to in a garage / outbuilding / basement)

I have mine in the house and I do have a couple of high end very quiet and very efficient PSUs. But I wouldn't buy them if I had to pay today's price for them

Thinking I'll put it out in the Garage all right so noise isn't an issue. Where should I go to buy all this stuff? Also any decent posts/threads on how to get set up?

Lots and lots on YouTube. If garage and noise is no problem then you can get away with a cheap Chinese mining PSU (roughly €100 second hand) or a server PSU. Where to buy? Wherever you can find them :D eBay, DoneDeal, Adverts, FaceBook, try all the usual online shops as well, you might get lucky (but you will likely spend a lot of time searching)

Advertisement