Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding babies junk food

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 MarshmallowPop

I have nothing against a treat but should be exactly that, a treat that you get and enjoy sparingly.

When I worked in one school in particular we had to stop the Treat of the Week on a Friday because parents were sending in full packets of biscuits and sharing bags of crisps as one treat :rolleyes:

Again, it comes down to nutrition and feeding our bodies like the temple it is!

If you have a child, top of my parenting priorities would be making sure my child is well fed and educating myself about the nutrional needs of my child.

Look at the graphs for obesity in Ireland, it's shocking how fat we have got in a relatively short space of time.

I know there are many variables about we have become so obese but my husband and I both work time but with forward planning, we cook from scratch everyday.

Convenience is in and home cooking is out in a lot of households these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Convenience is in and home cooking is out in a lot of households these days.

Not everyone has the skills or confidence to cook from scratch either. I did Home Ec in school so learned how to cook then but even though my mom cooked everything from scratch she never asked for us to help in the kitchen. My siblings never learned to cook and didn’t until in their 20’s. They had a knowledge of good, healthy food so they wanted to teach themselves at that stage but if someone was coming from a house where they themselves were brought up with convenience food it’s a vicious circle.

I don’t know what’s being taught in relation to healthy eating etc in schools but I can imagine it is very difficult to counteract what’s happening at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,179 ✭✭✭✭fits

anndub wrote: »
    For what it's worth I'd sooner feed a sub one year old a pouch than a KFC.

True. But only one of those is marketed towards them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,952 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

[QUOTE=bee06;116692070]Not everyone has the skills or confidence to cook from scratch either. I did Home Ec in school so learned how to cook then but even though my mom cooked everything from scratch she never asked for us to help in the kitchen. My siblings never learned to cook and didn’t until in their 20’s. They had a knowledge of good, healthy food so they wanted to teach themselves at that stage but if someone was coming from a house where they themselves were brought up with convenience food it’s a vicious circle.

I don’t know what’s being taught in relation to healthy eating etc in schools but I can imagine it is very difficult to counteract what’s happening at home.[/QUOTE]

Like anything it can be learned. I was raised by a typicaly Irish mammy in the 80s/90s in that the kitchen was her domain and you weren't allowed in there. Everything was cooked for the 5 kids. When I came to leave home I didn't have the faintest idea how to cook anything. I asked if she'd show me some basic things before leaving home and was told no.
    Out on my own I hadn't a clue how to cook or manage my finances. I ate Koka noodles and Campbells meatballs until I decided I couldn't let that continue long term. I went into a bookshop, looked for a recipe book I thought I could manage and taught myself to cook.

We all know we need to eat healthy and that processed food isn't good for you. You might not be able to cook but you need the will to make a change.

(I still have that first book!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Jamie Olivers Ministry of Food is a great basic cookbook. Easy to follow recipes that can be adapted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

River Cottage Baby and Toddler cookbook is a good one too - a bunch of healthy things for all ages - with targeted things for babies, folks doing weaning etc etc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We all like to eat nice things incl children , we also all define junk food differently.
    I usually give my kids(12,10,8,6) treats on a fri or sat and tell them that is it for the week and one child eats them that day the other 3 make them last the week , it is usually a few mini things, they get the odd take away and mac donalds occasionally too but they know it is a treat.
    I see other kids go mad when they get access to treats.
    Jars,cereal,chicken nuggets are all fine in moderation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I just give mine whatever I'm having. She's into gymnastics so it all gets burnt off or turned into muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

There is a huge difference in giving an older child treats like chocolate and / or the occasional McDonald's and giving them to a baby which is what the OP was about.

Advertisement