Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payrise help

• 27-03-2021 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi, i started with a new company last year and i took a job with an offer that i would have not accepted pre covid, i am being paid roughly 12-15 000 below current rates, tbh i accepted this job as a short term stop as i hoped to go travelling but sadly covid has ruined that, i really enjoy my new job and i have big responsibility and i am preforming very well according to my manager etc.
    My problem, I've never asked for a payrise before in any job so I'm not sure how one askes for a payrise.
    I am looking to ask for a pay rise, it's a small-ish company and I've only met the boss once, he doesn't come to site and i dont be in the head office so i won't be seeing him in person . He is the person that I'd would need to meet to ask but i probably won't meet the boss unless he ever has to come to site which is highly unlikely .
    Has anyone every asked for a payrise via email?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Do you have any one to one meetings with your boss, even by phone or zoom? That would seem like the place to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Frank12

No i wouldn't at all, I've only spoken to him once since my interview almost a year ago, which is a good sign as it means we've had no accidents or major issues on site, however he is the one that decides on salaries etc and i won't have that chance to meet him.
    I suppose i could try arrange a zoom call but I'm super awkward at these things, especially if it's going to be over a zoom call 😬

No i wouldn't at all, I've only spoken to him once since my interview almost a year ago, which is a good sign as it means we've had no accidents or major issues on site, however he is the one that decides on salaries etc and i won't have that chance to meet him.
    I suppose i could try arrange a zoom call but I'm super awkward at these things, especially if it's going to be over a zoom call 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 81,014 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What's your feelings about the company and job, would you be happy to stay put for €15k if they upped it?

The company likely knows they are getting you cheap if you have done your research right. If it was me I would send out my CV to various agencies and jobs to see what the feedback is, you should know from that if the €15k more is realistic.

Covid job seeking is not all doom and gloom, if your skills are in demand the prospects might be actually better than pre Covid, I know a fair few people who have switched jobs in the last year.

I love the job/company, it has being a grest 9 months but my workload and responsibility is huge and i know I'm an improtant clog in the wheel of the operation of this current project and they couldn't afford to loose me, and if i look for a raise, I'll get it its just how can i go about asking for it, i don't deal directly with the managing director, he doesn't come to site and i don't be in HQ,

Would an email be OK or? Preferably i know its best to do it in person however the liklihood is i might not meet him for months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,014 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you are working well there and the financial position of the company is good I would go for it, all he can do is say no or perhaps delay a rise. He may have more respect for you asking for it from the outset rather than handing in your notice and saying you are leaving for better money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Frank12 wrote: »
    I love the job/company, it has being a grest 9 months but my workload and responsibility is huge and i know I'm an improtant clog in the wheel of the operation of this current project and they couldn't afford to loose me, and if i look for a raise, I'll get it its just how can i go about asking for it, i don't deal directly with the managing director, he doesn't come to site and i don't be in HQ,

Would an email be OK or? Preferably i know its best to do it in person however the liklihood is i might not meet him for months.

You can send an email asking for a meeting with him. I wouldn't discuss the rise in an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭malkmoose

I think the best thing to do is first get some facts and information to support any conversation you will have.

1. Do some research on recruitment websites, agencies, Glassdoor, professional network/friends to get the industry standard for your job.

2. Do you have annual objectives? Weekly or monthly targets? If yes, then collect the data to prove you are doing a good job. If no metrics then just give examples of things you did well and how you are handling all the workload etc.

3. Engage with your manager and explain you are very happy with the company and the people there (which is true) and that you would like to get some feedback on performance and discuss potential career paths in the company.

4. Ask HR if there a formal appraisal process ( most places have an annual one) and find out when the next one is. Any pay rise will probably have to be done formally with manager and HR. You might have to wait until you are 12 months in the job.

5. For the appraisal or discussion, do a self assessment of how you think you are performing and back it up with facts, you should be prepared for the meeting. Explain that you have done some research and you see that the salary is slightly below industry standard, what do you need to do to correct that? Explain you are very happy in the role and enjoy the company etc.

6. If they say no then you need to think about your career. Personally I think getting 2/3 years of good experience under your belt sets you up really well for the future. It might be a pain in the ass now not getting your market value but in the long run it might be the best call. Also, don't underestimate enjoying where you work! A quick check of this forum will show you all of the ****-shows

I've always worked in big companies so this is potential all a bit too formal if you're working in a smaller place. However, I do think you should first prepare your justification before you engage.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dublin Lad2021

Kinda depends on what industry you're in. Those salary scales can also be misleading but anyways, if you are legitimately underpaid like
    15gs your boss most likely knows it or can't afford to pay you properly, I'm in the same boat but it's not quite 15g. I'd either send an email asking for a time or give him a call on the fly and just say you know times are tough but you've been working really hard and the responsibility etc. doesn't fit the salary and ask if he/she would be able to facilitate giving you a raise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Is the company profitable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭thefa

Make sure your info is solid first re €12-15k for similar roles, experience and industries. Do your research on what has improved under you and if you can relate this back to some finances, even better.

Do not go through email. Comes across as a bit feeble in my opinion. Having conversations outside your comfort zone is just a part of life if you want to get better outcomes.

Assuming your manager and boss are different people here. This has to go through your manager, out of both respect and process. The manager assesses your performance regularly and should be able to present your case.

Don’t overplay your hand here too because at the end of the day you are only there 9 months and enjoy the job. I can attest to how tight even some big, hugely profitable companies can be. Have to be ready to move on sometimes which involves weighing up what’s most important at that time. I’ve learned not to underestimate that initial negotiation.

Advertisement