Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mad to buy an Xbox One X?

Options
  • 25-02-2021 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi folks, looking for some opinions on buying an Xbox One X now.

Let me explain my rationale first. I've a wife and 2 kids and only game a couple times a week so not exactly a serious gamer due to lack of time. I've a TV I bought about a year ago which can do 4k at 60 frames per second, which is what the One X seems to be optimized for. There seems to be a few good quality used models out there for about 240 to 300 euro, depending on whats included and condition. So roughly half the price of the Series X (plus you're normally getting and extra game or controller thrown in but also of course there's increased risk buying used to consider)

I'm not too interested in the series S as the 120 fps at 1440p output doesn't suit my 4k 60 fps TV. So for someone who only games here and there and has a TV like mine, is the Xbox One X still a good buy ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Contrails wrote: »
    Hi folks, looking for some opinions on buying an Xbox One X now.

Let me explain my rationale first. I've a wife and 2 kids and only game a couple times a week so not exactly a serious gamer due to lack of time. I've a TV I bought about a year ago which can do 4k at 60 frames per second, which is what the One X seems to be optimized for. There seems to be a few good quality used models out there for about 240 to 300 euro, depending on whats included and condition. So roughly half the price of the Series X (plus you're normally getting and extra game or controller thrown in but also of course there's increased risk buying used to consider)

I'm not too interested in the series S as the 120 fps at 1440p output doesn't suit my 4k 60 fps TV. So for someone who only games here and there and has a TV like mine, is the Xbox One X still a good buy ?

The difference between the load times on the new devices are a game changer especially if you don’t get to game often .

Get a series s or x

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

Cyrus wrote: »
    The difference between the load times on the new devices are a game changer especially if you don’t get to game often .

Get a series s or x

I second this opinion. I'm kind of in the same boat and to be able to jump in (and then out) quickly is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Cyrus wrote: »

Get a series s or x

Can confirm, have kids so time is limited, fast load time is a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Yes, get one. I can't imagine the load times will affect you that much.

I'm recommending previous gen to a friend that was asking where to start. I mean, you can obviously upgrade down the line.

Edited to say: I've the Series X.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Birneybau wrote: »
    Yes, get one. I can't imagine the load times will affect you that much.

I'm recommending previous gen to a friend that was asking where to start. I mean, you can obviously upgrade down the line.

Edited to say: I've the Series X.

the load times on a one x are very very slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

Thanks for the replies folks. Still mulling it over. Ive a lend of the original Xbox One at the moment and is my first bit of gaming since my 360 days back in the naughties. Are the load times for the one x and original one similar?

I've been pleasantly surprised by the speed of the standard xbox one since I've had it. But that being said, I guess I don't know any better!

Edit: looking at some comparisons online it does appear the One X improves on the original One and the One S in terms of load times. Given that I'm used to the original One i don't think it will phase me. Plus getting native 4k on the cheap does appeal. There's also another thing to consider, the Series X and even the S are gold dust at the moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I've considered the One x myself for Forza but concluded that I would be an idiot to get one when the next gen consoles dont cost that much more and will play new releases for at least the next 7 years. I'm looking at comparisons between the S and X and not seeing that much difference but going to get the X soon as in a few years their might be a big difference between the S and X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

I wouldn't buy a one x for 300 quid now. If you intend to go all digital and only play a few games now and then you could get a series s new for that price. The series machines load stuff so much faster and they have instant resume on games ...and are so bloody quiet :) plus way more powerful than a one x.

New Xbox series x and s pop up all the time. Don't fall for not available crap. I'd wait and get the series x new as there are no compromises with it for the sake of 200 quid. Plus you have proper guarantee. It'll easily do the full 4K hog at 60 FPS plus it'll give you good value over a longer life span.

Patience grasshopper! Enjoy the console you have on loan. Maybe you'll be sick of Xbox in a month or too, but if you really want more get the series x.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Also don't kid yourself that the One X is a 4K 60fps console. The vast, vast majority of games don't run at native 4K, it's often 1440P or some other dynamic res, and a great many games also run at 30fps either.

It's a 4K 60fps console in the same way the Series X is a 4K 120fps console. It's possible on paper, even achievable in the odd game, but for the most part it absolutely isn't.

The Series X is about 3 times more powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

The One X is still a kickass console, but as above, I wouldn't spend 300 quid on it now, your money would be better spent on a Series S.

But if you really want a One X either nab one second hand now, or wait for a bargain to turn up. I remember getting my One S for 120 or something from Currys in a flash sale, worth holding out for...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daveq

I'm in the same dilemma and I've decided on a Series S. Don't have it yet as it seems to be OOS everywhere. But as others have said I think long term for casual gaming it might be a better purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Pretty sure Series X would be a better option then One X. After jumping from One x to Series X, I could not go back to old sluggishness and load times of old generation.
    Ideally I would still recommend spending a few extra quid amd getting X, but S would be still a better option over one x. Remember One x is not going to get much support soon and all games will aim mainly to be optimised on current gen. Series S will be better investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Moved from a One to a One X recently and it's a bit improvement in terms of 4k HDR games. Framerate is better but as said, don't expect 60fps all the time. Load times have been fine - not an issue. It's quiet as a mouse too.

I definitely would not spend 240-300 on one. The One X asking prices on Adverts are unrealistic. If you can get a good price, 150-ish, then I'd say go for it and you'd probably get your money back if you upgrade. But at 240-300, I'd definitely spend the extra on next gen.

I sold 2 of my One X's boxed in mint condition for under €200, so you should easily get one for that price.

You can also greatly improve load times by putting games onto an external SSD. It really does depend what type of game you're playing though. If I'm playing PUBG or CoD, the load times don't make a difference to me. If I'm jumping into a single player story driven game, then quick resume on the Series X/S is a game changer.

Quick Resume and fast loading is the game changer for me.
    I played GTA5 for the first time on Series X.
    Was like playing a SNES game. Boom - you're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

YoshiSays wrote: »
    Quick Resume and fast loading is the game changer for me.
    I played GTA5 for the first time on Series X.
    Was like playing a SNES game. Boom - you're in.

I never knew how much loading times bothered me until I switched to Series X. I can't go back! I used ssds on pc and laptop for years, but the way its set on seroes X, its actually faster. Pc load times now feel slow for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I'm not in a position to get a series X at the minute. I have an older (Original 1tb model) - would adding an External SSD improve load times for me?

GBX wrote: »
    I'm not in a position to get a series X at the minute. I have an older (Original 1tb model) - would adding an External SSD improve load times for me?

Yes, significantly. You won't get the quick resume feature found in the Series X/S, but load times are definitely a lot quicker.

Here's one comparison video, I'm sure there's loads around.

steamsey wrote: »
    Moved from a One to a One X recently and it's a bit improvement in terms of 4k HDR games. Framerate is better but as said, don't expect 60fps all the time. Load times have been fine - not an issue. It's quiet as a mouse too.

I definitely would not spend 240-300 on one. The One X asking prices on Adverts are unrealistic. If you can get a good price, 150-ish, then I'd say go for it and you'd probably get your money back if you upgrade. But at 240-300, I'd definitely spend the extra on next gen.

Yeah I'd say it'll be next gen at this stage. I've the One on loan for a good bit more so probably won't bother with the One X. May aswell future proof myself and go straight to the XSX.. whenever I can find it.

I know alot of people have mentioned the XSS as an alternative (and it is an excellent cost effective alternative judging by the numerous reviews I've watched) but I'd kick myself for not going native 4k when I have a capable TV. 4k gaming to me is the pinnacle. Id take 4k 60fps over 1440p 120fps any day.

Update:

Series X ordered folks. Thanks for the discussion. Looking forward to being sniped in Verdansk in 4k UHD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

the corpo wrote: »
    The One X is still a kickass console, but as above, I wouldn't spend 300 quid on it now, your money would be better spent on a Series S.

But if you really want a One X either nab one second hand now, or wait for a bargain to turn up. I remember getting my One S for 120 or something from Currys in a flash sale, worth holding out for...

Ya I got a one S on that Currys deal, what a bargain.

Probably gonna get an S series

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What is this load time thing? I have a One X and I don't power it down fully, I use the instant start feature which puts me back into where I was in a game so there is no boot time or game loading time.

Anyway, I have just ordered a series X so will sell the One X.

I think with One X the machine has to be left on (in low power mode) and you can only have 1 game on instant start.
    With Series S/X you don't need to keep the machine powered on and you can switch between multiple games with quick resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Best thing about that feature is how often it surprises me. I still tend to close games out of habit - or at least think I do - but I'll boot up the Xbox on Sunday morning and there's my drunk ass halfway through a PES match.

Advertisement