Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Just wondering what are the main differences between the Series S & X?

From what I can see the S seems to have half the space and you cannot buy physical games? Anything else I should know?

Looking to buy my son this and I think the S will suit him as he will only have a couple of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Hurrache wrote: »
    Just to clarify, I'm not sure if it's applicable to headphones, but certainly on amps, soundbars and home cinema systems. There's a pile of stuff out there about it.

I believe this is actually caused by the TV, not the Xbox or soundbar. I have an LG TV and a Sonos Arc, was very disappointed to see a huge (one second) lag between sound and picture when running Atmos on the Xbox. There is lag on any hdmi device in my setup though (same for my PS5 but the lag isn't quite as bad as it's just Dolby digital sound and not Atmos), it's the TV that's the issue. The sound should pass straight through from the Xbox to soundbar via the TV with nothing happening, but the TV is processing the sound signal from the Xbox before sending it on to the soundbar, this is where the lag comes in.

As you said people have been purchasing extra equipment to split the signal so that the sound goes straight from the Xbox to the soundbar. I bought one of these:

https://www.hdfury.eu/shop/hdfury-arcana/

Sound is now perfectly in sync, there a couple of downsides to this though (other than the ridiculous situation of needing to spend another €200 to get rid of sound lag in a €900 soundbar). The picture signal also now goes through the Arcana, and the Arcana only has one HDMI input. I need to run both my Series X and PS5 through the Arcana to fix the lag. You can either buy a HDMI splitter or just do what I've done, swap the HDMI cable over that's plugged into the Arcana when you want to switch consoles. I really didn't want yet another device in my chain that would take up space and potentially fail some day.

The first day or two I got it I had to do a little messing around to get the HDR to display correctly too, and when you switch between a game with HDR and the non HDR menu on Xbox the picture cuts out for a couple of seconds while the Arcana reconfigures how it's processing the video.

All in all I would say it's worth it to fix the lag but ridiculous that you need to pay €200 and put up with the above when the root cause of the problem could be fixed by a software update by LG. The other benefit to the Arcana is it will get you full uncompressed Atmos on a TV that doesn't have HDMI 2.1. I'm very happy with the picture on my TV and have only had it a couple of years so would have no interest in upgrading it just to get higher quality sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

That's a cool device, albeit expensive like you say.

I've an LG and with the audio stream set to pass through, no processing done within the TV, the lag is there. I had originally put it down to the soundbar being slow in processing the signal, and I recently changed the bar for other reasons but it's still there with the new one. On the inbuilt Disney, Netflix, Amazon and Apple apps the Atmos soundtracks are perfectly in synch with the pics.

I then thought it may be the TV alright, but from different forums there's a variety of manufacturers mentioned as having the issue, Panasonic and LG get a mention in this thread
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/xbox-series-x-dolby-atmos-sound-delay/0f42bf69-6cec-47ac-912a-7fa1d728e469?page=1&auth=1

and there's a big thread on it in Reddit, I think it's this thread where I first saw mention of the American device, Shark, people are buying to synch them. People having the issue with probably most manufacturers.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxinsiders/comments/k1rabj/audio_lag_xbox_series_x_on_bitstream_out/

It's a pain in the ass all the same, Microsoft and Dolby probably neither stepping up to take ownership of there the issue is originating from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It's not great that some of these soundbars are going for single HDMI port either. eARC in it's infancy is not without flaws. My bar (JBL 9.1) only has 2 HDMI ports and I would like at least one more really but I've made it work. Xbox is directly connected to the bar and I have zero sound issues for games or media. My TV is awesome (Pana DX902) but it's old so just basic ARC and no Atmos passthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Well I can tell you it's no different on my PS5 or the PS4 I had before it for me anyway. Once you switch to bitstream audio it's lag city, once you split the signal with the Arcana and eliminate the TV from the chain there's no issue. I don't see how that can point to anything other than the TV.

Yes I've read it's a problem on other manufacturers TVs too. There doesn't seem to be a definitive way of telling if the problem will be present on any TV you want to buy until you've bought it and tested it yourself.

I would highly recommend the Arcana anyway if you want the full sound experience without lag. After the first day or two of setup I've barely had to look at it since. It has no problem switching the audio between the console and TV when you change the channel, controlling the volume with the TV remote etc. Everything just works as it should (other than the few annoyances I outlined above), my setup has to be idiot proof or else I'd be constantly getting called into the living room by my girlfriend because there's no sound coming out of the Netflix app on the TV :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

PCros wrote: »

From what I can see the S seems to have half the space and you cannot buy physical games? Anything else I should know?

Looking to buy my son this and I think the S will suit him as he will only have a couple of games.

The X also offers higher resolution, frame rates and more powerful hardware that should mean it'll be "future-proof" for longer. Plus the disk drive is handy for cheap game sales, 2nd hand games, sharing games. Also, it can play loads of different kinds of optical media. It is more expensive, but you're potentially getting a lot more for the extra 200 quid. Also, it should give a better sale price if you plan to sell.

Atmos is brutal on the Series X, there can be enormous lag and it's pointless using it. People have even been buying hardware to put the audio and visual feed through in order to synchronise them.
    I'd imagine people don't have it setup right. It really is possible the majority of people on the Internet are not set up properly and everyone goes to the same forums and getting the same misinformation that it doesn't work on XSX You need:

XSX -> hdmi 2.1 -> TV -> e-arc -> receiver/soundbar

As well as that you need to set your TV e-arc settings to pass through.

Works great for me.

Nah, while I'm sure there are people with mixed up settings, the general issue is not due to having an incorrect set up, there's a deeper issue.

I have what you show, and many others do too, but there is lag with atmos. There's threads on both AV forums, gaming forums, Microsoft's own forums, and at least one on each manufacturers community forums with people highlighting the issue.

Nah, while I'm sure there are people with mixed up settings, the general issue is not due to having an incorrect set up, there's a deeper issue.

I have what you show, and many others do too, but there is lag with atmos. There's threads on both AV forums, gaming forums, Microsoft's own forums, and at least one on each manufacturers community forums with people highlighting the issue.
    I get lag on sky (its an absolute head wreck and seems to differ in severity day by day).

But its only on sky. Netflix, Amazon, downloads/emby server and xbox series X all work fine. And sky is not hdmi 2.1.

PCros wrote: »

Yeah, it's really just space and the lack of hard drive. My kids went from a One X to a Series S, and they love it. It's nice and compact, everything loads really quickly as well. They would only play FIFA, Roblox, Fortnite and Rocket League, though. If your kids play games that take up 100gb+, I'd think twice.

• Advertisement

Mr Grumble wrote: »
    I get lag on sky (its an absolute head wreck and seems to differ in severity day by day).

But its only on sky. Netflix, Amazon, downloads/emby server and xbox series X all work fine. And sky is not hdmi 2.1.

It's when using Atmos audio tracks, which Sky is also fine with.

It's when using Atmos audio tracks, which Sky is also fine with.

What i mean is sky isn't hdmi 2.1 so it doesn't use e-arc. That means you're not getting audio pass through so it will convert the audio into the tv and again back out into receiver/soundbar.

You could go sky box -> receiver/bar -> TV e-arc. One less thing to convert. I havent tried this myself because I don't have enough cables.

I don't think you can do that with the XSX or you lose hdmi 2.1, unless you have a receiver/soundbar that supports it but I don't think they're out yet.

I had a soundbar with 2.1, still issues.

Even if Sky audio is passed through to the soundbar from the TV and it's providing Atmos, there's no lag.

Only see the Atmos lag with the Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I hate the past two gens of Xbox(actually all systems). I haven't played the Xbox in a few days said I will just now and nothing but updates and I have a really slow internet connection. Xbox has a update and so does the game I wanted to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

I hate the past two gens of Xbox(actually all systems). I haven't played the Xbox in a few days said I will just now and nothing but updates and I have a really slow internet connection. Xbox has a update and so does the game I wanted to play.

I believe if you change the power settings to 'Instant On' updates will take place even when the console is off but open to correction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

.E_C_K_S. wrote: »
    I believe if you change the power settings to 'Instant On' updates will take place even when the console is off but open to correction on this.

You'd think so. Biggest problem I have with the One/Series is how poorly it handles updates.

It won't predownload system updates pending your approval and 9/10 it doesn't update your games until you launch it or go to the updates list in the OS(which can still take minutes to populate on the new consoles).

Updates are easily the worst aspect of the Xbox platform as it currently stands.

It might be one of your settings. My Series X has always updated itself in the background, I've never had to interact with it. With games, if connected via ethernet anyway, they'll also automatically update themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

It might be one of your settings. My Series X has always updated itself in the background, I've never had to interact with it. With games, if connected via ethernet anyway, they'll also automatically update themselves.

yeah same here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I have instant on turned on and have both "keep my console up to date" and "keep my games & apps up to date" and it has never worked on any of the 3 One consoles I've had nor my Series X.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Conar

I have instant on turned on and have both "keep my console up to date" and "keep my games & apps up to date" and it has never worked on any of the 3 One consoles I've had nor my Series X.

I'm the same, on multiple Xboxes. I've often wondered is game sharing (primary console etc) causing an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

Conar wrote: »
    I'm the same, on multiple Xboxes. I've often wondered is game sharing (primary console etc) causing an issue.

if game sharing all your doing is pre installing to your game sharing mates xbox ( my own asked why I preloaded loads of games one weekend and clogged his internet)

you need to pre load through xbox site as your then designate the xbox you want the stuff loaded too. Updates via instant on shouldnt be impacted by this.

regarding soundbars it really must be a tv issue as I picked up that cheap dolby atmos soundbar from currys a while back and its worked an absolute charm with earc and hdmi 2.1 no lag whatsoever, now the TV itself has atmos built in so wondering if thats the reason:confused:

TVs with atmos built in also have the sound lag with Atmos going to external devices, and it's not restricted to the one manufacturer. It's only when there's an Atmos soundtrack, DTS can have a bit but not as bad. There's people who've been fine with Atmos and their Xbox X, but when they got a Series X the issue arose, but others have said the issue was there since the Xbox X. It's like trying to untangle spaghetti.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

mine was the opposite, with one X i couldnt get atmos to work at all except with headphones with series X and new tv its working like a charm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Hi folks, does anyone else have an issue with the right trigger on their bundled Xbox Series X controller?

Mine started sticking a few days ago i.e. after pressing the trigger it would 'stay down' for a half a second. I did some googling and noticed this was an issue with some previous gen Xbox One controllers. The problem seems to have resolved itself now in the sense that whatever padding material is inside the trigger has moved so it doesn't stick anymore but it does properly make a clicking noise compared to the left trigger which is a softer sounding click (hope that makes sense).

I bought the Series X at the start of January so obviously a little bit annoyed that this has happened.

Just wanted to know if anyone has had the same experience and whether they got in touch with Microsoft about it. I'm most likely to continue with it as I can deal with the noise, as long as it doesn't inhibit or impact gameplay. This is also my only Series X controller (I do have an old Xbox One S one lying around) and don't really want to be without it for too long.

Images of LT and RT attached for comparison.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, had this for a couple of days. Feels like it's hitting some paste or tape on the inside and sticking to it for a moment. Others on here have had it as well, but it seems to be very intermittent, I haven't had any issues since, and no complaints on here either since those first ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I have the left stick getting stuck the odd time on the shock blue controller and the x button getting stuck on the bundled white controller

Internet speeds?

Got a new router from virgin lately.
    Should be on 250mbps.

Laptop wired to router is 250mbps
    WiFi on the phone in room is currently 241mbps

But download speed in wired Xbox1S in the 'test network speed' widget is 92mbps.
    Is this to be expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Internet speeds?

Got a new router from virgin lately.
    Should be on 250mbps.

Laptop wired to router is 250mbps
    WiFi on the phone in room is currently 241mbps

But download speed in wired Xbox1S in the 'test network speed' widget is 92mbps.
    Is this to be expected?

Consoles are always like that for me. The games till fly down though.

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Consoles are always like that for me. The games till fly down though.

AFAIK download speeds of games can be restricted by game provider.
    I thought the widget would be a connection speed test.

No complaints from Padawan on his Minecraft though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    I have the left stick getting stuck the odd time on the shock blue controller and the x button getting stuck on the bundled white controller

I've got it on the B button... maybe twice an hour it'll stick

Advertisement