Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pocophone F1 - The new flagship killer?

Comments

haven't seen any mention of nfc for any version.

definitely the way that it has raised edges at the front means that the glass has a higher chances of breaking.

already a thick enough phone so wouldn't be the most suited to a case in terms of not overly bulking up the overall footprinnt and fitting it in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Soup Thief

MOH wrote: »
    Only reason I've held off on it is the lack of NFC. I'm still not sure a wider European release won't include an NFC version, so holding off on buying an import until that's setteled.

A good point MOH.
    After all that indecision the other night about buying a Mi8 I discovered that the phones I found the great deal on were Chinese retail versions, flashed with an international ROM. Problem was, in order to flash a new ROM the bootloader had to be unlocked - i read around and find that relocking with a new ROM bricks the phone, but leaving the bootloader unlocked borks the NFC! Added to the tax obligations I decided to sack the idea and ordered a blue 128gb F1 from eglobalcentral.eu (€312 delivered, with 3 pin plug and international ROM)

That slightly optimistic point about NFC on the European versions has me wondering. It wouldn't amaze me if there was an NFC capability, disabled by software in India. I guess if someone has an F1 already (even an import) they could try running Devcheck from XDA or Play to see if the relevant hardware is present. I've not read about anyone finding it in the teardowns, but we're talking about a miniscule component so would hardly be surprising if it were missed. I'll ask on XDA and see if anyone can shed any light.

Countering that optimism with my natural pessimism I'm wondering if, if NFC were present, will we fudge it by unlocking the bootloader as happens with the mi8?

All will be revealed...

@glasso - that's what tempered glass screen protectors are for

I don't fully understand why nfc is absent from budget and many mid-range phones.
    is it a cost issue (how much does it cost to implement) or purely a segmentation issue?!

it has 2.5d curved glass on the front - that means that temperered glass protectors won't be able to cover the whole front - looks like absolute sh1t with a protector then a big gap to the side of the glass - 10x worse than any notch

like this or most likely way worse

9H-2-5D-Anti-Explosion-Screen-Protector-Tempered-Glass-For-iPhone-7-7-Plus-6-6.jpg_640x640.jpg

glasso wrote: »
    it has 2.5d curved glass on the front - that means that temperered glass protectors won't be able to cover the whole front - looks like absolute sh1t with a protector then a big gap to the side of the glass - 10x worse than any notch

I have ordered a glass screen protector that claimed to follow the contour of the curved glass. We'll see what the postman brings, but if it is flat like you say, then it probably will look like a hatful of arses

NFC, FM radio and similar features are so cheap they're nearly free, but I really think they are omitted to segment / differentiate markets. It's all a bit weird. The F1 itself is strange to my mind in that it has been pitched as, and frankly is a phone designed for a market segment that's always been neglected. People who want a cheap but balls-out fast phone with a massive battery and an SD slot. People care less about fancy design than fancy designers would have us believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I have ordered a glass screen protector that claimed to follow the contour of the curved glass. We'll see what the postman brings, but if it is flat like you say, then it probably will look like a hatful of arses

That halo effect makes me want to eat my own head, even seeing it on someone else's phone.

corwill wrote: »
    That halo effect makes me want to eat my own head, even seeing it on someone else's phone.

But if it stopped my phone breaking into teeny pieces I reckon could deal with it. Bear in mind the F1 isn't much of a looker to start with!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

For that reason it's just seen as an unnecessary additional cost to have to put an NFC interface in the phone.

Not having NFC is crap if you have a LEAP card

Not having NFC is crap if you have a LEAP card

Absolutely! That's pretty much the only time I use it tbh, but it's worth having just for that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Assume this phone can't play hd netflix or prime?

• Advertisement

irishchris wrote: »
    Assume this phone can't play hd netflix or prime?

540p Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

540p Netflix

That's massively disappointing :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

mi 8 is a nicer looking phone with nfc and better overall build quality imo.
    if I could get it for not much more than the f1 I'd go for that. the notch is really big on the f1 also.

going to cost you more tho when the shipping from aliexpress is taken into account.

duty would add another 23% + collection charge again.

some aliexpress sellers claim that the dhl option will avoid customs I think but not sure how reliable that is

I just took delivery of a Mi 8 and used one of the sellers on Ali that claim no customs charges if you pay for DHL. Delivery took 8 days and there were no customs fees.

A good point MOH.
    After all that indecision the other night about buying a Mi8 I discovered that the phones I found the great deal on were Chinese retail versions, flashed with an international ROM. Problem was, in order to flash a new ROM the bootloader had to be unlocked - i read around and find that relocking with a new ROM bricks the phone, but leaving the bootloader unlocked borks the NFC! Added to the tax obligations I decided to sack the idea and ordered a blue 128gb F1 from eglobalcentral.eu (€312 delivered, with 3 pin plug and international ROM)

That slightly optimistic point about NFC on the European versions has me wondering. It wouldn't amaze me if there was an NFC capability, disabled by software in India. I guess if someone has an F1 already (even an import) they could try running Devcheck from XDA or Play to see if the relevant hardware is present. I've not read about anyone finding it in the teardowns, but we're talking about a miniscule component so would hardly be surprising if it were missed. I'll ask on XDA and see if anyone can shed any light.

Countering that optimism with my natural pessimism I'm wondering if, if NFC were present, will we fudge it by unlocking the bootloader as happens with the mi8?

All will be revealed...

Like you I was torn between the F1 and the Mi 8. I went with the Mi 8 in the end because in my opinion the build quality is superior (I don't like phones with plastic back covers) it has an AMOLED screen, NFC and the camera has OIS.

Yes its true that the phone is a Chinese model flashed with a global ROM but band 3 and band 20 are supported and it receives OTA updates so no worries.

When I got the phone, I installed TWRP, rooted it, and flashed the ROM from Xiaomi.eu, installed Magisk and NFC works perfectly. The camera on the Mi 8 is unbelievable and the phone itself is a work of art. Best phone I've ever had.

The ROM from xiaomi.eu unlocks some cool features not found of the global ROM such as infared face unlock and it also removes the chinese bloatware :)

Running sweet as a nut on vodafone 4g now.

The phone cost me €345 all in including DHL delivery for the 6GB RAM 64GB model

Tip: if your going to buy a Mi 8, pay in USD and use Revolut and you will save a few euro.

Here is the seller I purchased from

I am extremely happy with my decision of choosing the Mi 8 over the F1

I just took delivery of a Mi 8 and used one of the sellers on Ali that claim no customs charges if you pay for DHL. Delivery took 8 days and there were no customs fees.

Like you I was torn between the F1 and the Mi 8. I went with the Mi 8 in the end because in my opinion the build quality is superior (I don't like phones with plastic back covers) it has an AMOLED screen, NFC and the camera has OIS.

Yes its true that the phone is a Chinese model flashed with a global ROM but band 3 and band 20 are supported and it receives OTA updates so no worries.

When I got the phone, I installed TWRP, rooted it, and flashed the ROM from Xiaomi.eu, installed Magisk and NFC works perfectly. The camera on the Mi 8 is unbelievable and the phone itself is a work of art. Best phone I've ever had.

The ROM from xiaomi.eu unlocks some cool features not found of the global ROM such as infared face unlock and it also removes the chinese bloatware :)

Running sweet as a nut on vodafone 4g now.

The phone cost me €345 all in including DHL delivery for the 6GB RAM 64GB model

Tip: if your going to buy a Mi 8, pay in USD and use Revolut and you will save a few euro.

Here is the seller I purchased from

I am extremely happy with my decision of choosing the Mi 8 over the F1

Glad it paid off for you!
    That's the same AliExpress seller I was going to use! Enjoy that beautiful AMOLED screen too, ya jammy thing

After googling I couldn't find any reassuring reports of people having managed to Kang a Chinese mi8 in the way you've managed to, so between the fear of ending up with a lemon and cautionary tales of people being hit up for tax I bottled it!

Nevermind - I'm sure I'll have lots of fun with the F1 when the postie brings it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Anyone recieve their Pocophone yet?
    Thorn between it and the Mi 8 now.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

Anyone recieve their Pocophone yet? Thorn between it and the Mi 8 now.

Mine arrived today ordered it on the 29th, I'll update you later when i have it set up. So far so good tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

dinnybyrne wrote: »
    Mine arrived today ordered it on the 29th, I'll update you later when i have it set up. So far so good tho...

Nice. Will you let us know if you experience any multitouch or LED bleeding issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

No issues with light bleeding or multitouch.
    Very happy with it so far i ordered the 6gb/64gb version on eglobalcentral.eu for 309 euro. Took 9 days in total and no customs charges.
    Its heavier than my OnePlus 3 build quality is nicer than i expected but i dont like the raised screen edges(exposed to breaking) so id advice anyone ordering one to order a case also.the supplied case is flush to the edge of the glass,dont see it protecting it in a fall.
    The swipe gestures are great once you get the hang of it but im worried they wont work with a proper case as you swipe from the edge of the screen.
    Battery is at 60 percent after messing with it for 5 hours.
    Screen is nicer than i expected and its a powerful piece of hardware.
    Love the face unlock absolutely seemless.
    My cell reception has improved as well.

dinnybyrne wrote: »
    No issues with light bleeding or multitouch.
    Very happy with it so far i ordered the 6gb/64gb version on eglobalcentral.eu for 309 euro. Took 9 days in total and no customs charges.
    Its heavier than my OnePlus 3 build quality is nicer than i expected but i dont like the raised screen edges(exposed to breaking) so id advice anyone ordering one to order a case also.the supplied case is flush to the edge of the glass,dont see it protecting it in a fall.
    The swipe gestures are great once you get the hang of it but im worried they wont work with a proper case as you swipe from the edge of the screen.
    Battery is at 60 percent after messing with it for 5 hours.
    Screen is nicer than i expected and its a powerful piece of hardware.
    Love the face unlock absolutely seemless.
    My cell reception has improved as well.

All very encouraging! Itching for mine to arrive. Good to read some positive comments too - the XDA thread is riddled with what seem frankly to be unreasonable complaints.
    Btw, I'm just switching to a new deal - Tesco mobile are doing a €15pcm 4g deal with 15gb data, incl calls & texts. Seems good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

All very encouraging! Itching for mine to arrive. Good to read some positive comments too - the XDA thread is riddled with what seem frankly to be unreasonable complaints.
    Btw, I'm just switching to a new deal - Tesco mobile are doing a €15pcm 4g deal with 15gb data, incl calls & texts. Seems good

Is that the plan people are losing their minds about over on the Tesco mobile forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Patww79 wrote: »
    Is that the plan people are losing their minds about over on the Tesco mobile forum?

The new version of the plan is crap compared to what it used to be. The network is also so unreliable for the majority of their customers and I swear the rest are having issues and just not noticing. Go with one of the main players if you want a consistent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The Lycamobile Ireland plus plan for €15 is much better IMO.
    Same limitations coverage was as Tesco in that they are an MVNO, but better value.

banie01 wrote: »
    Same limitations coverage was as Tesco in that they are an MVNO, but better value.

Hadn't seen that - always assumed Lycamobile were a bit dodgy, but when you get down to details it looks like they're the same as Tesco but with 25gb pcm rather than 15 with Tesco.
    I mostly have WiFi access so have just been using 48months for the past few years (€10 pcm but only 3g access). Figured I'd give Tesco a go for a change.
    Will see how it rolls

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Patww79 wrote: »

I've just ported off Tesco after over a year with them. Network is gone to the dogs. Randomly dropping voice and text while still connected to mobile data, and phone appears connected so you've no idea until someone emails you to say they can't ring you. I moved to 3 and that's been fine so it's definitely a Tesco specific issue rather than the network.

banie01 wrote: »

lycamobile data service is fairly pants tho.
    goes down to an edge (sub 3g) connection in central dublin - no joke
    they basically have the lowest priority of quality of service on the three network

but it is dirt cheap. you can get calls and data for 7.50 a month

month 1
    top up by 15 euro to get calls and data. texts not free and come out of credit

month 2
    use the 15 euro credit to buy the ireland plus bundle for calls, data, text. eu roaming

no roaming on month 1, only on the bundle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Is there a summary that involves less being shouted at?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

MOH wrote: »
    Is there a summary that involves less being shouted at?

Back-to-front baseball cap -> won't be playing that.

corwill wrote: »
    Back-to-front baseball cap -> won't be playing that.
    Youtube is riddled with these morons who mistake affectations for personalities.
    I took one for the team.
    Salient point is that while this phone won't play Netflix at High Definition because it lacks a particular DRM decoder/codec (?) which can't be added remotely as a software update, it really doesn't matter cos the screen isn't big enough for your eyeballs to notice.
    Didn't justify 6 minutes of hooning about in a hat.

• Advertisement

Youtube is riddled with these morons who mistake affectations for personalities.
    I took one for the team.
    Salient point is that while this phone won't play Netflix at High Definition because it lacks a particular DRM decoder/codec (?) which can't be added remotely as a software update, it really doesn't matter cos the screen isn't big enough for your eyeballs to notice.
    Didn't justify 6 minutes of hooning about in a hat.

A moron who has made millions from hooning about in a hat. Moron indeed.

Advertisement