Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Presbyterian records

• 13-04-2014 8:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

Where should I look for Dublin (Eustace Street, I think) Presbyterian baptismal records?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Where should I look for Dublin (Eustace Street, I think) Presbyterian baptismal records?

I see Eustace street mentioned in Ryan's, with a FamilySearch film 100238 reference, but the church does not seem to be listed in the Ecclesiastical directory, or street listing of Thom's 1865. There are several other Presbyterian congregations listed in Dublin City or nearby - Rutland Sq., Upr Ormond Quay, Adelaide Rd., Gloucester St., Lwr. Abbey St., Sandymount and a church at King's Inn St.

One of my branches is Presbyterian, and some of that line married in Presbyterian churches in Dublin, e.g. Gloucester St., but after 1864 so I have civil certs. It seems the searches are generally referred either to the churches, if they still exist (cant think of any that are still in the city), to PRONI or the Presbyterian Historical Society in Belfast.

There are records for just one Presbyterian church included on IrishGenealogy, Lucan, and none on RootsIreland that I see.

p.s. depending on dates,it may also be worth checking CofI baptisms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Thanks, I've emailed PRONI and will see if the National Library can help too.

Turns out they're in the Royal Irish Academy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Turns out they're in the Royal Irish Academy.

What? All of them? I would have thought NLI was the place. Never would have thought of RIA for anything relevant to me.

Nope, they weren't in the Royal Irish Academy; went to the National Library of Ireland's genealogy room, where the librarian was really kind and helpful; remembered while there that I had (d'oh) found a record of the baptism on the Mormons' site familysearch.org - I'd assumed it was a birth cert, but of course it couldn't be because birth certs weren't in existence in 1843 - and so I'm off to Werburgh Street today to the new home of the Registrar's Office.

Edit: So I went to Werburgh Street (not well signposted - in behind a big wall, and I only found it by stopping to ask the way of a lad putting up a notice in a carpark). A staffer there said they only had civil records, and couldn't suggest anywhere else to try. I went out and looked up the LDS (latter-day saints) online and rang every phone number I could find (five of them); each one either rang out or accessed a mailbox that was full. Since it was a nice day, I cycled out to Glasnevin to visit their gaff, but found it locked up tight and nobody around. I'm now officially stymied. Odd that no one else has duplicates of their records.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I presume you have contacted the actual Presbyterian Church of Ireland to check?

http://www.presbyterianireland.org/About-Us/Historical-Information/Church-Records

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

shanew wrote: »
    I see Eustace street mentioned in Ryan's, with a FamilySearch film 100238 reference.....

dont know if you've already seen, but there are transcriptions from this film on FamilySearch - see : film 100238 not that many results, but might be worth a look

shanew wrote: »
    dont know if you've already seen, but there are transcriptions from this film on FamilySearch - see : film 100238 not that many results, but might be worth a look

Thanks. My great-grandmother's file is 0100238 IT 1-2 so it's in that series, but her record isn't one of those scanned, unfortunately.

Edit: these are just some of the records held on microfilm by the LDS:

http://www.cotyroneireland.com/research/Microfilms.html

If they're no longer available for consultation, should they be handed over to the State for access at the National Library's genaeological records?

Mods, could you perhaps merge the two LDS threads, if it's not a lot of trouble?

Rang the number today, mistaking it for a different number, and was told yes, they're open Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 10 to 1pm. So… off there next week.

Irish records are kept there, the manager said. If you need records from someone else (Poland was the example given), you can request them and they'll be sent over from Salt Lake City for you to study.

Incidentally, the manager there said they're crowdsourcing (my word, not his) transcription of the millions of microfilm records - if anyone would care to volunteer, you take a batch of 200 records and type them in and someone else does the same, another cross-checks them and if there are any contradictions they're resolved by a checker. Your batch of records can be from anywhere, though I suspect Irish people probably won't have to type up, say, Polish records.

• Advertisement

Just in case anyone's following this thread and doesn't see the others I've posted, these records are now in Pearse Street Library for the next three months.

All of them, or just Eustace Street?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    All of them, or just Eustace Street?

Eustace Street and Strand Street.

And if you're interested in such things, a lot of information about family crests, with drawings, etc.

Anyone have any ideas of why C of I people would have got married in the Presbyterian church (York Street 1860's) and then have their children baptised in the C of I?

Advertisement