Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Escalators in quayside

• 22-03-2015 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭

Anyone think it odd the amount of people who let their young children play on the escalators.

I have never seen it anywhere else. I saw a child sitting on one of the steps today. She could easily have got her hand caught in the mechanism.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shoot the Crows

Crazy. I noticed that myself the other day. And security guards nearby not taking any notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

I work in the Quayside and a couple of us were only talking about this last weekend! It's mad how many people think nothing of letting kids play on them, running up the 'down' escalator, sitting on them the whole way up or down, etc. Heatons in Carrick had an incident where a child had its hand caught and lost a finger as a result. There was another child in a shopping centre in Galway 2 years ago whose jacket got caught on the handrail and he was pulled up the outside of the escalator. If it wasn't for a staff member grabbing him, he would have been seriously injured. It's mental how some people see them as a way of entertaining their children...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

As a bored kid in an airport many, many years ago, I got a loose shoelace caught in an escalator but had the wit to throw myself full length (all 3 foot of me) on the floor at the top and hold on until the lace broke. It seemed like an eternity but was probably only a second or two, and I made damned sure my parents never found out.

Years later I saw a guy wearing sandals lose his toes on one of the old wooden escalators on the London Underground and it was only then I understood how seriously my brief childhood terror could have ended up.

Apathy to danger isn't going to change anytime soon. I hate compo culture but it does seem that Insurance costs are the only thing that will change the attitudes of managers of public access spaces to try and enforce any sense of safety among users of their facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Maybe it would be worth contacting the Quayside directly so that they could address the issue with security.

http://www.quayside.ie/contact-us

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I'll be honest, I've seen more adults going up/down the escalators the wrong way than I have kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Just on them today. And I noticed how dangerous it could be where the escalator goes back into the floor with the big teeth. And also when the steps start to go flat

Some people have no cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

rizzodun wrote: »
    Maybe it would be worth contacting the Quayside directly so that they could address the issue with security.

http://www.quayside.ie/contact-us

Thanks sent them a message.

Advertisement