Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Crossfit gym sligo?

• 22-03-2015 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 12 wally101

Anyone know where the location for new Crossfit gym in Sligo going to be? Current one based in Finisklin estate. On other side of town maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

wally101 wrote: »
    Anyone know where the location for new Crossfit gym in Sligo going to be? Current one based in Finisklin estate. On other side of town maybe?

There's been one in cleveragh industrial estate for a year or more now. They're on twitter and have their own website. Where's the one in Finisklin?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 wally101

Same place, but they relocated to Finisklin before christmas to a bigger premises I think.

I know that they sometimes have 20 people with one coach in the current gym in finilskin. Hopefully the new place won't have those numbers and their coaches will be a bit stricter. Way too much to ensure proper form and prevent injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

. Where's the one in Finisklin?

its just down beside the creche, I see those poor b*stards running past my lab's window a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I know that they sometimes have 20 people with one coach in the current gym in finilskin. Hopefully the new place won't have those numbers and their coaches will be a bit stricter. Way too much to ensure proper form and prevent injury.

Given their classes are capped below that, I think you've been listening to the gossip mill. Have you any evidence that they can't manage their classes, or do you just like to diss local businesses in public?

• Advertisement

wally101 wrote: »

I doubt it would be a sustainable business model to open another one in Sligo itself, there's been talk of somebody based in Collooney opening, but don't know if that's anything more than talk.

ectoraige wrote: »
    Given their classes are capped below that, I think you've been listening to the gossip mill. Have you any evidence that they can't manage their classes, or do you just like to diss local businesses in public?

I know a member there. I also know that the coaches are good guys who know their stuff.

I've zero interest in dissing businesses. I'm a crossfit member elsewhere in the country and love the whole ethos of crossfit. Unfortunately the brand has a reputation in the fitness industry for causing injury, which of course is bull, all exercise can cause injury if not done correctly, however if there are classes with 20 people - ever - then injury is much more likely and only adds to this myth about "crossfit causes injury".

I know a member there. I also know that the coaches are good guys who know their stuff.

I've zero interest in dissing businesses. I'm a crossfit member elsewhere in the country and love the whole ethos of crossfit. Unfortunately the brand has a reputation in the fitness industry for causing injury, which of course is bull, all exercise can cause injury if not done correctly, however if there are classes with 20 people - ever - then injury is much more likely and only adds to this myth about "crossfit causes injury".

Well, you know two members now, as I've been a member for over a year. I'm well aware of the reputation the brand has but to be honest you're only adding to it because your post seems based more on a mix of speculation and hearsay. Does your friend think it unsafe? Just for actual information, their classes are capped at 18, and the two coaches would be present - one taking the class, and while the other might be doing their own mobility, they will also be keeping an eye on things. They also maintained smaller classes previously when all the members were inexperienced, now there will be a lot of experienced members in every class too.

They are both highly qualified with degrees in sports science, and have lots of experience in the industry. They aren't people who happened to be a bit fit and decided to call themselves personal trainers. I know this because I checked it out before joining as I was apprehensive due to the poor reputation in Crossfit. If there's one thing that pisses them off, it's poor coaches, and the damage poor coaching has done to Crossfit.

Perhaps you should arrange to visit the North-West and drop in and see for yourself, because while you say you've no interest in dissing businesses, that's exactly what you've done.

ectoraige wrote: »
    Well, you know two members now, as I've been a member for over a year. I'm well aware of the reputation the brand has but to be honest you're only adding to it because your post seems based more on a mix of speculation and hearsay. Does your friend think it unsafe? Just for actual information, their classes are capped at 18, and the two coaches would be present - one taking the class, and while the other might be doing their own mobility, they will also be keeping an eye on things. They also maintained smaller classes previously when all the members were inexperienced, now there will be a lot of experienced members in every class too.

They are both highly qualified with degrees in sports science, and have lots of experience in the industry. They aren't people who happened to be a bit fit and decided to call themselves personal trainers. I know this because I checked it out before joining as I was apprehensive due to the poor reputation in Crossfit. If there's one thing that pisses them off, it's poor coaches, and the damage poor coaching has done to Crossfit.

Perhaps you should arrange to visit the North-West and drop in and see for yourself, because while you say you've no interest in dissing businesses, that's exactly what you've done.

I've had a good think about how to reply to this. Firstly, to clarify, my post was not hearsay. It's direct from the mouth of a member. Not from a friend of a friend, and not from someone in another gym with an vested interest.

However, I stand by my assertion that I have no interest in dissing any business, much less a crossfit affiliate, and so bearing in mind that if the above was posted about my box I would be as quick to jump to its defence, I apologise to you for causing offence with my post and won't continue to talk about a gym of which I'm not a member.

I am in Sligo often, and may well take up your suggestion to do a drop in class the next time I'm there.

All the best.

Advertisement