Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snow / Ice warning Mon 21 pm to Tues 22 Jan 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just to harp back to a point I made yesterday about how much the Arctic has warmed, here is some data based on decadal temperature anomalies for the month of January in the region (N of the 80th Parallel and based around the 61-90 average)

60s: -1.60c
    70s: +1.39c
    80s: -0.34c
    90s: -0.06c
    00s: +2.98c
    10s: +5.00c. (2019 inclusive)

Not much more needs to said.:(

Data: DMI.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

JCX BXC wrote: »
    For further clarification, Dublin only mentions rain, and Shannon has rain/graupel showers mentioned.

I think Met Éireann seem to always use GS (graupel/"small hail") when in fact they mean hail. Even in non-snow situations they use it rather than GR to mean hail. I've never seen them use GR at all. Anyway, graupel or hail, we'll see if we get any!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Just had a noisy 10-second fall of hail mixed in with the rain here in Celbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Just had a noisy 10-second fall of hail mixed in with the rain here in Celbridge.

Same here, d11

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Torrential rain and a flash of lightning

Newcastle Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Torrential rain and a flash of lightning

Newcastle Dublin

Thought I saw a flash around then when I was looking out at the heavy rain/hail.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Pretty sudden drop once the rain went through

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/1087416264916639749?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

temps at 3.2 at my part of cork city, dropped fast aswell after the rain, was at 6 before that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rain has just cleared here, however there is lots of surface water. That will most likely freeze later tonight under clear skies, so I would expect some dangerous roads in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Cold rain followed by negative temps bodes well for any snow. Anything that falls until about 10am, for most of us, will be sleet or snow and stick immediately.

As mentioned by previous posters, if no precip, perfect conditions for black ice. Please be careful if driving, roads will be extremely dangerous in a setup like this. More so for us here with no legal requirement for winter tyres and so 90% of motorists running on all-seasons which are essentially useless below zero.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Like Vilain, drop of circa 3c on clearance here,the 6.6c max was only an hour ago
    Not much rain here ,only started around 4pm

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1087424347659292672?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Heavy showers with a mix of hail and sleet Letterkenny, dirty night out there

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Knock reporting sleet at 1900.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Had a short snow shower, the roof of my van is white.
    SE Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Had a short snow shower, the roof of my van is white.
    SE Sligo.

What colour is the rest of the van ?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

What colour is the rest of the van ?? :)

Ha! dark blue :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Ha! dark blue :D

A mountainy area in Sligo is a good oul spot fot snow, from westerlies, north westerlies, northerlies. I think hills in Cavan can get it from all spots.

Easterlies probably the only one not so good. You're guranteed a snowfall or two every winter above 250m.

My homeplace is high ground south east Laois. Usually we get snow every winter, very seldom we don't. However a north westerly has often dried up by the time it's down here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

here in South Meath we get snow every winter, but for the majority of winters it usually amounts to nothing more than a bare and temporary dusting, usually from a north-westerly.

We usually have to rely on an easterly or north-easterly for any measurable snow. Last winter was an exceptional winter in my area with one decent snowfall from the north-west and several minor dustings before we even got to the Beast From The East/Storm Emma.

So far this winter not a flake, not even sleet or hail. If I don't see snow, even a bare dusting by 11.59pm on February 28th, this would be the first winter in my living memory with no lying snow whatsoever. I can't see February passing without lying snow of some description, so let's see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Gonzo wrote: »
    here in South Meath we get snow every winter, but for the majority of winters it usually amounts to nothing more than a bare and temporary dusting, usually from a north-westerly.

We usually have to rely on an easterly or north-easterly for any measurable snow. Last winter was an exceptional winter in my area with one decent snowfall from the north-west and several minor dustings before we even got to the Beast From The East/Storm Emma.

So far this winter not a flake, not even sleet or hail. If I don't see snow, even a bare dusting by 11.59pm on February 28th, this would be the first winter in my living memory with no lying snow whatsoever. I can't see February passing without lying snow of some description, so let's see what happens.

You may be in luck tonight

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big blustery shower of hail just gone through here near Tralee, wind avg 27 km/h atm, gusting close to 60 km/h

The last shower knocked the temp down by nearly 2C to 4.2C , Dp 2.1C . Front dropped 5mm

Plenty of big showers on the way in tonight, looks like snow in Northern counties atm

Oju4X1G.jpg

B7FyI40.gif

iP0Whge.png

puG7TmF.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

There was a few flutters of snow and a clap of thunder at about 6.30pm up at 290m asl over Slieve Thoul near Brittas in Dublin earlier.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

An opportunity to see how the models perform with predicting snowfall.

kgMcGzl.png

30-780UK_rbm8.GIF

hirlamuk-45-29-0_urc3.png

aromehd-56-29-0_ixc4.png

nmm_uk1-45-34-4_lql0.png

Icon not going there

ARPEGE underwhelming as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Not quite as mountainy as Mountainy Man - just out for a walk and it's clear but crisp underfoot already - frosty and chilly. Winter has arrived with daffodils.

South Sligo
    90M asl

Recent Temperatures and Dew points

temp_uk_ugk6.png

pointrosee_uk_jaa0.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Gonzo wrote: »

It stays the bit longer with altitude. You'd get a day or 2 out of a snowfall that i'd find would be gone in 2 hrs in Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

I cant wait to wake up to 1-2cm of water tomoro;)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Moderate snow. Donegal town.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Met Eireann alert now only valid til 11 tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tikkamark

There’s something magic about even the word snow to me maybe simply because we get feck all!If I don’t get any here in the next 4 weeks I’ve a trip to Iceland booked so hopefully see a bit there! :)

Advertisement