Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Wicklow Weather

Some snow showers off the coast of Wicklow and Wexford, some skirting coastal fringes!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Oh great, a whole week of marginal snow situations. No wait that's not right, two whole weeks of marginal snow situations.

*moves from window to ledge*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Rougies

I would not like to be a forecaster's position for the next couple of weeks at all. "Messy" doesn't really cut it as a forecast, but that's probably the best way to describe what's showing up on the models at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I've a feeling next week's weather is going to be a great talking point here, in a similar vein to last week's. I have to say I found some of last week's debates on the event to be very entertaining!! Hopefully we all learned something from it.

And there's no harm to have disagreements here so long as we all play by the rules and not make it personal. Or have another Gerry Murphy won't say snow discussion! I think any regular contributor here is well able to take criticism of a forecast as well as give it, if it's explained well and backed up.

/2 cent

Some very tasty charts from ECM in fantasy island. The Canadian model is not so hot (or dare I say cold?). Given that the finer details are so crucial, I suspect we'll be at the mercy of the models until the weekend. GFS is especially confusing to my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I've found in my somewhat limited experience that stacked lows (upper and surface lows almost vertical) in spring tend to produce heavy hail showers no matter what the thickness profile. The most likely location is usually 100-150 miles east to south of the low. There, now that I've said that I can take two weeks off. See y'all in April.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

For once I really dont want this cold spell because it's now mid-March and we would have cried out for this all winter and it would have produced some amazing cold snowy days. The thoughts of 'what could have been' keep springing to mind

Having said that I have seen nearly a foot of snow here before in mid-April so anythings possible, that foot of snow melted before the day was over:) If we really do have to go under another 2 weeks of a bitter airflow, I hope this really is the end of it with a much warmer April in the offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I've never fully understood this cold spell prognosis as uppers seem to be -2 or -4 most of the time. This mornings runs look milder (relatively) to me too. I note however MT and Met Eireann (7.55am broadcast) this morning are still talking of a cold spell and some snow risk. So what am I missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

I've never fully understood this cold spell prognosis as uppers seem to be -2 or -4 most of the time. This mornings runs look milder (relatively) to me too. I note however MT and Met Eireann (7.55am broadcast) this morning are still talking of a cold spell and some snow risk. So what am I missing?

The ECM is showing lower uppers later next week. It's a long way off though.

Winter, I wish I could quit you

A frustrating output unfolding for next week. Colder solution still looking somewhat fractured. Cool days with cold nights. just sayin! Snow on high ground, sleet at mid elevation, ****e at lower elevations. Looks like the remainder of March is a cool solution.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Winter, I wish I could quit you

Would take a cold and wintry March (and April) in exchange for a hot and dry summer any year. :)

Forecasters nightmare next week. Fully expect lots of mentions of 'hill snow'. :rolleyes::)

• Advertisement

Just had a go at Piers of Exacta. He forecast March cold 130 days ago. I told him he should let us know such info during Jan or Feb even if his casts are pay for casts. Humble pie when I looked down at his January and Feb casts for March. He nailed it. Oooops. Not a massive fan but he seems to have got his March cast spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Just had a go at Piers of Exacta. He forecast March cold 130 days ago. I told him he should let us know such info during Jan or Feb even if his casts are pay for casts. Humble pie when I looked down at his January and Feb casts for March. He nailed it. Oooops. Not a massive fan but he seems to have got his March cast spot on.

Stopped clock and all that............

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Tiss gone quite in here....

Dunno why, ECM 120 hrs is pure snow bunny stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Winter mode is over, now most people are pissed seeing these charts. If they had of come 30 days earlier we'd be dancing. But now it will be an inconvenience for most and annoying for the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

the cold reload doesn't look like happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

mike65 wrote: »
    the cold reload doesn't look like happening.

Tempting fate again Mike :o

Step back from the models and spring will be sprung!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Looks unseasonably cold for at least part of next week, especially at night. Still think that the Wicklow mountains might see a lot of snow during the early hours of Sunday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

A lot of sleety rain about and hail which is interesting to look at bouncing. Its been the coldest March for quite a while so far. After the 20th though I would expect a lot of milder air to spill in for the rest of the month and if we get much sun it could even get warm before Easter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

On the mobile version of met.ie tomorrow's forecast shows a risk of "jail (sic) and thunder" Must be a first for this type of weather in Ireland :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Nabber wrote: »
    Winter mode is over, now most people are pissed seeing these charts. If they had of come 30 days earlier we'd be dancing. But now it will be an inconvenience for most and annoying for the rest.
    Agreed, if it's not going to stick then it's pointless even falling really, it just teases. Much and all as I love snow, I'm fed up with these half-non events now at this stage and just want a stonking summer to make up for the sh1te winter we had :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

kenmc wrote: »
    Agreed, if it's not going to stick then it's pointless even falling really, it just teases. Much and all as I love snow, I'm fed up with these half-non events now at this stage and just want a stonking summer to make up for the sh1te winter we had :(
    It doesn't stick in Jan and Feb either.
    Thats some serious cold over Scandinavia, unusual for the second half of March, the models may not have a grasp yet on what is unusually powerful northern blocking - all we need is the low pressure which will be close to Ireland to be a couple of hundred miles further south (not out of the question)
    I'll continue to chart watch and give winter another go up to the change of the clocks at least.

ECM0-144.GIF?15-12

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

I'm surprised there is no mention of the possible snow event tonight. ECM and GFS are forcasting low temps in the Dublin area for around dawn with a front approaching from the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

arctictree wrote: »
    I'm surprised there is no mention of the possible snow event tonight. ECM and GFS are forcasting low temps in the Dublin area for around dawn with a front approaching from the south.

Not nearly cold enough at upper levels. Hail from the transition,maybe a bit of hill schleet, for Dublin area at any rate. Sets the tone for a grotty enough weekend, hail and squally cold rain showers, decent windchill. Met É have it well covered.

Wouldnt want to be in a samba costume in it....

Fat lady might be singing soon. Looks mild at end of GFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Heavy wintry shower atm(donegal) giant snowflakes mixed in

Meteogram shows thickness and temperature rising later next week from 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

Just had big hail shower here that turned to sleet before it cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Had snow shower at noon, back to beautiful sun again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

logotran1_normal.gif
    Kerry County Council @countykerry

There is a risk of significant snowfall later tonight and on Saturday morning especially over high ground.

2 minutes ago

I think i need to move to higher ground :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement