Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Ireland Weather Network. Weather Stations Wanted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

No problem. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I suggest a change to one of the tags in the WL.htx file and that is to change the windspeed to the 10 minute average <!--wind10Avg--> rather than the snapshot at the second the reading is taken <!--windSpeed--> which could be a gust or lull.
    What would be good is if the 10minute average and the gust be shown
    <!--windHigh10-->
    This is the high gust during past 10 minutes.

I'm signed in.

Thats a good idea MM, i will notify the particulars about this aswell as the temperature to be displayed as a decimal instead of an integer (rounded).

Some teething probs atm we should sort out overnight in displaying stations but should be sorted soon.

Mothman wrote: »
    I suggest a change to one of the tags in the WL.htx file and that is to change the windspeed to the 10 minute average <!--wind10Avg--> rather than the snapshot at the second the reading is taken <!--windSpeed--> which could be a gust or lull.
    What would be good is if the 10minute average and the gust be shown
    <!--windHigh10-->
    This is the high gust during past 10 minutes.

I'm signed in.
    Snowbie wrote: »
    Thats a good idea MM, i will notify the particulars about this aswell as the temperature to be displayed as a decimal instead of an integer (rounded).

Some teething probs atm we should sort out overnight in displaying stations but should be sorted soon.
    He's correct about the <!--windSpeed--> in WL.. it is an instantaneous
    reading (snapshot).
    The <!--wind10Avg--> would be better, but it's only available with data
    if the WeatherLink has the Bulletin or Summary window open, otherwise
    it's '0' (zero=nil). If they run their WL with Bulletin or Summary
    window open, then they're welcome to change the tag in
    WL_stickertags.htx to use <!--wind10Avg--> if they like.

Hope that helps.
    Me wrote:
    Can this be used <!--windHigh10-->
    That would be for a Gust, not for Wind Average.. I'd not recommend it.

He's correct about the <!--windSpeed--> in WL.. it is an instantaneous
    reading (snapshot).
    The <!--wind10Avg--> would be better, but it's only available with data
    if the WeatherLink has the Bulletin or Summary window open, otherwise
    it's '0' (zero=nil). If they run their WL with Bulletin or Summary
    window open, then they're welcome to change the tag in
    WL_stickertags.htx to use <!--wind10Avg--> if they like.

Not true, the 10 minute average using the tag <!--wind10Avg--> will upload regardless of whether the Bulletin or Summary windows are opened or closed. The other wind tags such as gust, or 1min, 5min average and 10 min avg using tag <!--windAvg10--> etc do need either Bulletin or Summary winodw open.
    This is with WL v5.6

I think the purpose of my suggestion for gust has not been understood.
    I'd like to see Direction speed mph gusting to on the map.
    For example WSW 8mph gusting to 17mph.

This probably needs work to be done by developer.

Also Snowbie would you check what happens if someone has their wind units set to km/h in WL. I think that the wind speed uploaded will be Km/h speed and not the mph speed.

• Advertisement

Will do, will email this to him now. He did ask at first the units we used over here for measuring. I sent him C, mph, mb or Hpa etc. This is a valid point about km/h.

Cheers for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Did anyone manage to get the mesomap file downloaded from Irelandsweather (IRLWN-mesomap.zip) , it seems to be corrupted?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I can't view the map at moment. Temporary issue I assume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gordonre

I was able to see it earlier just before adding my weather station and now can't see it either!

Cheers
    Gordon

Yes lads i will not ask you to download the mesomap from the network forum link as it does seem to be corrupt. I can add stations but mesomap is not recognising the .jpg image.

I need the correct .zip sent to me again before i can go ahead and fix the problem.
    Something small and still awaiting a reply. Hopefully soon.

• Advertisement

gordonre wrote: »
    I was able to see it earlier just before adding my weather station and now can't see it either!

Cheers
    Gordon
    Minor glitch, just awaiting correct zip to be sent to me and will be fixed in notime. I'll keep you all posted here, when i hear something.

Back up and running again. All stations correctly uploading too.

Ok I see stations up and running again.

Regarding the wind speed, do we need to edit our HTX files to upload the 10-min average or do we leave it as is?

Is is possible to have this page automatically refreshed every 5 to 10 minutes? Would it be possible to have this configurable per user as not everyone may want this feature?

This is just one of my personal preferences as I have my web page updated every 15-minutes and also have the web page refresh every 15-minutes. That way whenever I look at my web page it will always be current, well, within 15-minutes since it may have refreshed moments before the next upload.

Thanks,
    Gordon

Regarding the wind speed, do we need to edit our HTX files to upload the 10-min average or do we leave it as is?
    I've edited mine putting in <!--wind10Avg-->
    Is is possible to have this page automatically refreshed every 5 to 10 minutes? Would it be possible to have this configurable per user as not everyone may want this feature?
    Had same thought myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Okay the site is setup. Still a bit of tweaking to do with adding more graphics and a new banner but that won't be long. There is also another forum on the new site too.
    What i need you all to do is to sign up clicking on the Join us tab and the station be added. We will have our data live for all to see on one map now.:)

Click here to Join up

Guess it wasn't such a mad/bad/sad idea after all :cool:. Fair fecks to ya Karl, you certainly don't beat around the bush. Nice one. :)

Could you offer some basic pre buying weather station advice? Once I get a Davis Pro set up, how does one get the info up on the web, such as your own or Peter's site? Does one have to buy this software and can it be downloaded rather than having to order a hard copy? Also how much is it? I don't ask because I'm a skink flint, but because I just want to get some sort of budget together and to prepare. Cheers!

Nacho Libre, any chance you might be able to get a similar weather station set up sometime??????????, it would be fantastic to have a second station from our region, and more especially yours, as your area is statistically more storm/snow/rain/hail/thunder/lightning/heat and frost prone than my gentle little spot!

Waddayou say? :)

No bother Pat closer to the time when your sorted give me a shout and i'll help you out like some others on here for a station.

Now about the new network, the page refreshes every 5 mins, i've crons at the 2s and 7s in minutes. So if your data is uploading every 15mins you wont see the data change on the mesomap till that time or maybe later while others are at 5min intervals. You can change that in WL.

Whearas if WL missed a packet before it uploads and refreshed on the mesomap, you will appear offline untill a new packet is uploaded and refreshed. This tends to happen if the WL interval is set above 15mins/30mins. It is why it is beneficial to have the interval as low as possible so we can read data as soon as instead of waiting for it, this is the whole point of the site but i understand about bandwidth and transferes to hosts but please let me know this in the meantime.:)
    We'd prefer 5 minute updates if at all possible, but 30 minute updates is acceptable. If an update is more than 62 minutes old, then the station is marked 'Offline', so missing one update cycle may cause a 'offline' status. The WL_stickertags.htx -> WL_stickertags.htm should be available from his personal weather website (we can't fetch data from Weatherlink.com or Wunderground.com for the mesomap).

MM i have sent him a mail about the wind speed/avg/gust already and waiting feedback on that. It is a script usually for the entire network and is the script they use, i already got him to change the temperature to a decimal so i believe he will look into it for us.:)
    I have no problem with switching to <!--wind10Avg--> for the WL . For Gusts, currently neither the WL nor VWS stickertags have the values for Gusts in them. Clientraw.txt from WD does have the data. I'd tried strings like 'WSW 5 G 18' and 'WSW 5 gust 18' in the rotating conditions to mixed reviews, so we stuck with just wind speed for the mesomap. If there's strong support for the idea on the Irish forum, I'd be pleased to make the mods to the mesomap program (and folks using WL/VWS would have to update stickertags to support it).

Shall we do it then?

We are still at very early days here but it looks good for the long term.

Edit: If signing up, please make sure to have long/lat in decimal for me. It takes awhile to setup a station to place on map and configure text without having to go through long/lat conversions also.:)

To keep your map up to date, upload the attached file to your website(unzip first !) and click the url once in a while, It automagically will update your map to the latest stations.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I have no problem with switching to <!--wind10Avg--> for the WL . For Gusts, currently neither the WL nor VWS stickertags have the values for Gusts in them. Clientraw.txt from WD does have the data. I'd tried strings like 'WSW 5 G 18' and 'WSW 5 gust 18' in the rotating conditions to mixed reviews, so we stuck with just wind speed for the mesomap. If there's strong support for the idea on the Irish forum, I'd be pleased to make the mods to the mesomap program (and folks using WL/VWS would have to update stickertags to support it).

Shall we do it then?
    I can't see everyone uploading from WL running the Bulletin/summary full time. When neither of these are running, the uploaded gust figure will be zero. If everyone has to use the same stickertag (ie with <!--windHigh10--> included) then I think we will have a few 'WSW 5 gust 0' scattered around the map and we'd be better of without.
    Can a script be set up to drop 'gust 0' part when a reading comes in as zero?
    We are still at very early days here but it looks good for the long term.
    Amazing what's happened in a few days since Paddy sowed the seeds a few days ago. Its been good growing conditions....:pac:

Well done Snowbie (I've noticed the times you've been posting updates here:eek: ) and Ken and Chris on the development side of the network.

Mothman wrote: »
    Can a script be set up to drop 'gust 0' part when a reading comes in as zero?
    Yes it can, have mailed him about this.He will do up mods for this. He actually supports change and new ideas from each network so keep them coming.

Amazing what's happened in a few days since Paddy sowed the seeds a few days ago. Its been good growing conditions....:pac:
    Agreed, with alot of help from Ken and a few of the other admins, it has taken off.
    Well done Snowbie (I've noticed the times you've been posting updates here:eek: ) and Ken and Chris on the development side of the network.
    I'm back in work and i'm bunched.:eek: I have got Pauln from Waterford data now so i'll probably use my lunch to upload his details.:D

No complaints as i enjoy doing this entirely out of interest both for me and the rest of us. Sure in recent developments nowadays, the volunteer observer is what we have to rely on for up to date data feeds.
    No good waiting for 30/60mins to see data thats eh....old from the professionals.:)

Stations included to the Network are:
    Snowbie Dublin 13
    Supercell Annamoe
    Mothman Ashford
    Malcolm Balybofey
    gordonke Newbridge,
    slayer91 Quin Co.Clare
    Pauln in Kilgobnet today sometime

Danno is on hols and he should be up next week and dolanbaker be sometime this week. Paddy, probably next year:p
    Still waiting on a few to get back to me.

Spread the word the more stations the merrier.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Fantastic work Snowbie! This is great:D

• Advertisement

Its really brilliant, I can see the excitment building in winter when things are marginal for snow, dew points being watched across the country intently!!
    We need more midland and western stations onboard, hopefully they will come.
    Edit: Snowbie any chance we could have a dewpoint indicator also?, in winter this often is the all important figure given our marginal snow events.

Like [icon]DP[icon]=temp.C straight after the air temp indicator or similar. Sounds good.

Like [icon]DP[icon]=temp.C straight after the air temp indicator or similar. Sounds good.

Yep, sounds like a plan, is that something I can configure myself for my own mesomap?

Yes I think a good way, also drop the fire danger indicator.

I see on the Nordic site in the table below map, they have max and min daily temps. Would mean adding a couple tags to script file, but would also mean seeing at a glance the day's max/mins

Yep, agree with MM on the fire thing, not really relevant in Ireland.
    The max/mins would be cool too.

My web page is now updated with the Mesomaps. Please note this is the HTML version as my SP does not support PHP.

It's great to have something different on my web page and something which is more interactive for that matter. Thanks to all who have made this possible! I don't know who all have been involved but I understand this has been an international effort. :) Keep the good work up guys!

Edit: Might help if I put the web site here: http://homepage.eircom.net/~osprey/irish_mesomap.html

Gordon

Yes the fire thing could be replaced by the DP in the order after air temp.

My web page is now updated with the Mesomaps. Please note this is the HTML version as my SP does not support PHP.

It's great to have something different on my web page and something which is more interactive for that matter. Thanks to all who have made this possible! I don't know who all have been involved but I understand this has been an international effort. :) Keep the good work up guys!

Gordon
    Is your station set up to record rainfall measurements in 0.2 increments?

Yes it is!

• Advertisement

Lol, sorry Gordon.
    [For ppl wondering why this is funneh to me, I emailed Gordon about the same thing yesterday lol]

Advertisement