Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Ice warning: 26 / 27 / 28 Jan 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gonzo wrote: »
    not a flake fell here all last winter, at least I can't remember one! We did get some brief snowfall in March one Sunday afternoon. Not a flake this year either. I'll amazed if I see any snow from Monday/Tuesday event.

Took a while to get going last year here as well, but did see some on occasion eventually. There was one morning in particular (I forget the date, early Feb i think) when there was a small but all encompassing covering coupled with an extraordinary Alpine blue sky. One of the most beautiful mornings I had seen, and have seen, in a long while.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Nothing whatsoever is going to come out of this.

Why?

Because my car is on a full set of new winter tyres, that's why

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

'Significant weather' chart for next Monday morning from the latest output. Some snow, some rain, some hail, some sleet. A real mixed bag:

DCMIHPl.png

No doubt accompanied by a penetrating, miserable feeling chill that I have never experienced under a true northerly or easterly. There is something about the north Atlantic cold that is just nasty.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Even I have a photo from last year of the mountains covered in snow...
    Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Took a while to get going last year here as well, but did see some on occasion eventually. There was one morning in particular (I forget the date, early Feb i think) when there was a small but all encompassing covering coupled with an extraordinary Alpine blue sky. One of the most beautiful mornings I had seen, and have seen, in a long while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Delaney Helpful Violet

Can we hold this off till near the end of the week so that I can get to the snow on the Reeks at the weekend?

Please :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Can we hold this off till near the end of the week so that I can get to the snow on the Reeks at the weekend?

Please :)

We can hold it off till next Winter if you're not careful

pauldry wrote: »
    We can hold it off till next Winter if you're not careful

Hail and Shleet with just snow on high ground according to RTE Weather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The 18z gfs is rolling and it keeps the uppers cold enough for snow. Indeed an upgrade if anything! Lying snow more than possible by Monday night

The 18z gfs is rolling and it keeps the uppers cold enough for snow. Indeed an upgrade if anything! Lying snow more than possible by Monday night

But that's the pub run

In the morning it will be as of RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Paaahhhh westerly Maritime muck.......sure the only good thing to come out of the whest is the road to Dublin :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭squarecircles

sideswipe wrote: »
    Paaahhhh westerly Maritime muck.......sure the only good thing to come out of the whest is the road to Dublin Airport:)

fixed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

pauldry wrote: »
    But that's the pub run

In the morning it will be as of RTE

Not sure what you mean. The 18z is as reliable as any other run particularly in the shorter timeframes.
    Anyways tomorrow will tell us more

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

RTE news weather talking about 'snow on higher ground' so I'll just pretend I didn't see this thread to avoid disappointment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looking through the charts and the ECM 12Z has 850 hpa charts as low as the GFS 18Z at the moment. Fax chart showing the 528 dam line moving down below Ireland and staying there out to Tuesday. Showers on Sunday in an increasingly cold air mass turning more wintry through the day into the evening . Best chance of snow in the W, NW and N during the passage of a trough later Sunday evening. Charts showing increasing instability Sunday onward over the sea and moving in from the coasts so looks like sending in convective type weather with big hail showers with gusty winds possible in the mix and lightning could show up especially along coastal counties. Bitter cold overnight into Monday and a very cold blustery day with showers to follow , many wintry more so in the Western half of the country and especially along Atlantic Counties. Monday troughs moving down along the Western side of the country could produce longer wintry spells. Hard to call amounts but looks like the W, NW and N getting the most chance of snow at lower levels . No doubt that mountain ranges will get a good plastering and could be tricky road conditions during some of the heavy showers especially from hail and thinking some roads on higher terrain will need close attention along the Western side of the country from later Sunday out to Tuesday into Weds morning.

Big departure from the calm benign week gone by . Windchill will be a factor . Freezing conditions Monday night despite the wind . Looking forward to the sunny spells Sunday, Monday Tuesday with big cloudscapes and white mountain tops , good photo opportunities !

utHMBrI.gif

7YjbR2i.gif

Pr4Rj9D.png

LFtHOWr.png

b4u0KNX.png

wmfSClc.png

KGB5AL7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭esposito

Not sure what you mean. The 18z is as reliable as any other run particularly in the shorter timeframes.
    Anyways tomorrow will tell us more

Definitely not reliable in the longer timeframes though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Hi Res models just coming into view, EURO 4 favours Munster getting some snow Sunday night, HIRLAM not that far yet but the latest run showing some heavy precipitation coming in towards Munster too ?

anim_njh8.gif

euro4_uk1-46-54-0_vsr6.png

anim_klm7.gif

hirlamuk-1-48-0_spm2.png

Time to reinstall Netweather Snow Radar App for a couple of days. Sunday night would be worst time for snow as I'm driving but Monday morning bad too. Cant it snow in the day anymore or are those days over coz we are in the 2020s now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

18Z GFS is snowmageddon for 4 days in most of Ireland. Even more gung ho than usual. Warning: known cold bias!

My immediate assumption is that the supercomputer is on LSD, because there's not a hope of that. Few flakes are possible though. Even probable, for those in the NW or above 250m over the Sunday-Wednesday period.

anim_ptm6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,107 ✭✭✭highdef

sdanseo wrote: »
    18Z GFS is snowmageddon for 4 days in most of Ireland.

anim_ptm6.gif

Sorry but where in the animation is there a suggestion of snowmageddon/Armageddon? The GIF suggests nothing more than wintry showers with some snow showers in places, mainly high ground and inland from the north and west coasts. There's nothing at all to suggest anything of significance bar perhaps in areas at an altitude that few people live at.

Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

highdef wrote: »
    Sorry but where in the animation is there a suggestion of snowmageddon/Armageddon? The GIF suggests nothing more than wintry showers with some snow showers in places, mainly high ground and inland from the north and west coasts. There's nothing at all to suggest anything of significance bar perhaps in areas at an altitude that few people live at.

Am I missing something?

Euro4 at 54hrs shows Clare and high ground in Kerry as the best places to get a covering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

highdef wrote: »

Am I missing something?

I was poking fun at the GFS showing quite a large amount of wintry precipitation, it goes completely overboard. The gif does plainly show widespread wintry precip for a few days (which will not materialise).

Maybe I didn't make it clear the snowmageddon comment was a tad sarcastic but I did follow by saying there's not a hope of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't think the GFS is going over board at all meself. Looks close to spot on to me.

Sunday night needs to be watched though as a trough line crosses the country - this could bring snowfall to low levels particularly to the west, north west and north midlands and maybe further south too.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

This thread is overboard for a little dusting, rain with a mix of white flaakes is all anyone who isnt on mountain is going to get

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Jin luk wrote: »
    This thread is overboard for a little dusting, rain with a mix of white flaakes is all anyone who isnt on mountain is going to get

Personally I don't mind the thread. It is a weather forum after all. In a winter so far lacking much 'wintry weather', it is a little bit of added interest. We have just come through a fairly bland few days weather wise, pleasant for some including my own location in the West, but a little more miserable for others, in particular those in Donegal who endured a fair bit of miserable drizzle.
    A few posters have said over the past few days that they would be happy with seeing the first few flakes of the year so I think that most peoples hopes are fairly well tempered here. It is not the easiest to get snow here at times and some of us even get a bit of a kick watching wintry showers coming in on the radar and wondering will they deliver anything white at all. As somebody who enjoys the weather, I am interested to see what tomorrow and the next few days will bring. Most of us don't expect much but it is the 'possibility' which is the fun bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭esposito

We have to take what we can get! This will be mainly a west, northwest, southwest and midlands 3 day event. Snow occasionally getting down to lower levels. It will probably not amount to much accumulation given it’s coming from the Atlantic but it’s better than nothing.

We may get an easterly or northerly sourced event in late Feb or early March which might produce higher accumulations

ARPEGE and ICON not showing the same cold air as ECM or UKMO. Noticed in the past ARPEGE can delay showing cold mid level and uppers right up to the get go.

EURO4 possibly over doing it a bit, still would favor the ECM

anim_vyy5.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I don't think the GFS is going over board at all meself. Looks close to spot on to me.

Sunday night needs to be watched though as a trough line crosses the country - this could bring snowfall to low levels particularly to the west, north west and north midlands and maybe further south too.

You're always good with the snow forecast, usually when you suggest something concerning snow you're bang on target.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    Personally I don't mind the thread. It is a weather forum after all. In a winter so far lacking much 'wintry weather', it is a little bit of added interest. We have just come through a fairly bland few days weather wise, pleasant for some including my own location in the West, but a little more miserable for others, in particular those in Donegal who endured a fair bit of miserable drizzle.
    A few posters have said over the past few days that they would be happy with seeing the first few flakes of the year so I think that most peoples hopes are fairly well tempered here. It is not the easiest to get snow here at times and some of us even get a bit of a kick watching wintry showers coming in on the radar and wondering will they deliver anything white at all. As somebody who enjoys the weather, I am interested to see what tomorrow and the next few days will bring. Most of us don't expect much but it is the 'possibility' which is the fun bit!
    Come on though lets be honest how many times has kermit started a snow thread and it turns out to be a damp squib espescially when its almost a straight westerly ill eat my words if am wrong but the charts are not mpressive for this 1 look at MTs forecast he even keeps to hills and a small chance of low lying snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Hooter23

I cant wait for more imaginary snow to arrive;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Come on though lets be honest how many times has kermit started a snow thread and it turns out to be a damp squib espescially when its almost a straight westerly ill eat my words if am wrong but the charts are not mpressive for this 1 look at MTs forecast he even keeps to hills and a small chance of low lying snow

MT uses the words "growing risk" at lower levels as below. He's not discounting it.

I see you're new to boards, your confidence in posting is confusing, have you had other accounts in the past?.....

SUNDAY will become windy and quite cold, with passing showers, these becoming increasingly wintry with a growing risk of sleet or snow accumulations mainly on hills in west and north at first, but also at lower elevations by later in the day (and overnight to Monday morning). Highs only 4 to 7 C. Winds southwest to west 50 to 80 km/hr.

Advertisement