Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Soon to need a prescription for Nurofen/Solphadine/etc?

• 17-07-2010 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

*** THE PERSON WHO GAVE ME THE INFORMATION BELOW APPEARS TO HAVE BEEN INCORRECT ***

Maybe I've been living under a rock in regard to this.

The chemist mentioned this morning that from the 1st of August you will need a prescription to buy painkillers containing codeine.

I'm thinking it will drive people who wouldn't have previously considered buying medicines online to do so.

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

True, very true.
    Apparently Solpadine alone can be an addictive substance.
    Soon to be prescription only.

(The wife used to take it for the headaches she grew when she saw the many a time I was randy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

That's the 1st i've heard of it too.

I won't be paying out 55quid to go see a doctor for some nurofen anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Jesus. It'll be cheaper and more convenient to ask my dealer to start stocking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Time to stock up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

good sctuff :pac:

• Advertisement

Time to stock up.
    You might be too late already.
    A lot of supermarkets already have taken it off the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,247 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Biggins wrote: »

(The wife used to take it for the headaches she grew when she saw the many a time I was randy!)

Your wife grew headaches when you got the horn?

?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Your wife grew headaches when you got the horn?

?
    Yea - welcome to marriage. :o
    One of the possible side effects that was never mentioned in the description!

Yea - welcome to marriage. :o

Can't wait !! :D

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Can't wait !! :D

Sometimes you will be... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

not solpadeine!

please god don't do this!

I have only used such pain killers once and found them next to useless. No harm having them prescription controlled, as useless as they are for pain loads of folks swallow them far too regularly.

not solpadeine!

please god don't do this!
    Sorry but its very true.
    Checkout www.mumstown.ie
    The wife says there are discussing it there a fair bit and the ramifications!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

RoverJames wrote: »
    I have only used such pain killers once and found them next to useless. No harm having them prescription controlled, as useless as they are for pain loads of folks swallow them far too regularly.
    I could say (nearly) the same thing for blowjobs. Doesn't mean you should have to go to the doctor to be allowed have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Ugh, Solphadine Plus Soluble has been my hangover cure for the last few years, hopefully they don't try and do it over here too. :(

As for the legitimacy of this report, anyone have any solid links or news stories about it?

Nevore wrote: »
    I could say (nearly) the same thing for blowjobs. Doesn't mean you should have to go to the doctor to be allowed have one.
    Right... I'm off to see my doctors assistant nurse! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Hope this isn't true, I've to get a tooth out and Nurofen is an absolute must for this, just the principle of having to pay a doctor to see me for 20 seconds while I explain this makes me sick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Sorry but its very true.
    Checkout www.mumstown.ie
    The wife says there are discussing it there a fair bit and the ramifications!

aw jeez. i disagree wholeheartedly with this decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

ah this is ridiculous
    the vast majority of people don't get addicted to painkillers

now during the times i actually do need them i'll have to pay €50 to go see the doctor, inconvenience myself by going to the doctor not to mention the queues in the doctors when people who actually need the attention of a doc could use the appointments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Supermarket can sell product containing codeine. They have never been able to. They can only sell items off the GSL list. OTC codeine containing product are pharmacy only.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Nurofen tablets are for pussies.

Supermarket can sell product containing codeine. They have never been able to. They can only sell items off the GSL list. OTC codeine containing product are pharmacy only.
    The wife used to get solpadeine in one supermarket chain in our town that stocked it, all the time.

From what i can see, its only going to be available over the counter in chemists now-i can't see anything bout needing an actual prescription for it
    Full thing bout it here:
    http://www.pharmaceuticalsociety.ie/News/Latest_News/Pharmacy_Regulator_Issues_Guidance_on_Codeine_Medicines.html
    Additionally, the guidance states that these medicines must only be supplied by, or under the personal supervision of, a pharmacist.

Non-prescription ‘combination’ products, containing codeine and
    paracetamol, aspirin or ibuprofen, should be supplied only when the

pharmacist is satisfied that, in the exercise of his or her professional

judgement, the supply of such a medicine is the most appropriate therapy
    available at the time and that such supply is in the best interest of the
    patient. For pain relief, single ingredient medicinal products such as

paracetamol, aspirin or ibuprofen, should be used first in line with pain

protocols and current evidence-based practice. Codeine-containing medicinal
    products should be supplied as ‘second line’ products for the treatment of
    pain relief, when the above products have not shown to be effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Neurofen + are brill for hangovers and period pain. Can't believe they're going prescription based. That is totally clogging up GPs time.
    Also, by the time you make you appt, travel to doc, experience a 45 minute delay, see doc, discuss your headache symptoms, I reckon the oul headache might be gone. it's a joke......

orourkeda wrote: »
    Nurofen tablets are for pussies.

Yeah, I heard they are good for period pain alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Grand. I'll be able to get em on the medical card now.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

alwaysadub wrote: »
    From what i can see, its only going to be available over the counter in chemists now-i can't see anything bout needing an actual prescription for it
    Full thing bout it here:
    http://www.pharmaceuticalsociety.ie/News/Latest_News/Pharmacy_Regulator_Issues_Guidance_on_Codeine_Medicines.html

Hmm this is what the person in the chemist said to me, I tried to open a pdf on that website to learn more but it gives an error.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 164 ✭✭yogy

None of these products containing codeine have ever been sold in supermarkets in the ROI, strictly pharmacy only.

All of these products will still be available from your pharmacy WITHOUT PRESCRIPTION, however changes on their supply are due to be implemented. e.g. they can no longer be put on display but instead inside the dispensary, stricter pharmacist supervision of sale etc.

Can anyone at all provide any credible links to the mis information being spouted here?

Nurofen will still be available as normal as IT DOES NOT CONTAIN CODEINE.

It is only Nurofen Plus, Solpadeine, Maxilief, Panadeine, Codinex Linctus that will be affected.

With only 8mg of codeine in these products the codeine does **** all for the headache, just leaves vulnerable people susceptible to rebound headaches, addiction, ulceration of stomach etc.

laugh wrote: »
    Hmm this is what the person in the chemist said to me, I tried to open a pdf on that website to learn more but it gives an error.

It's very long and kinda complicated! I could be just reading into it wrong tbh-doesn't seem to give a straight answer either way!

• Advertisement

yogy wrote: »
    None of these products containing codeine have ever been sold in supermarkets, strictly pharmacy only.
    Opps then, cos someone locally was breaking the rules. :pac:
    Gone now anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement