Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level 7 to Level 8 degree

• 01-07-2008 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Hi

I did a diploma back in the 90's and then another two years to a pass degree.

Still waiting for Trinity to confirm but it looks like my degree is now considered a level 7 degree.

I want to do a post-grad that needs a level 8 degree to be considered.

Was talking to my sister in law and she thinks there are courses one can do to progress from a level 7 to level 8 degree.

Anyone know of any of these. Its a business and IT degree.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

sue97 wrote: »
    Was talking to my sister in law and she thinks there are courses one can do to progress from a level 7 to level 8 degree.

Absolutely. Most, if not all, Institutes of Technology operate this way - you do a Level 7 Ordinary degree, then another year for a Level 8 (honours) degree.

Find your nearest IT. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭sue97

Thanks Tom

Will check their websites

Thanks Tom

Will check their websites. Just one other question, are there standalone modules I could cover or do I have to continue the degree.

I have not worked in IT in years and the Internet was called the Super Highway last time I was in College

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You could also try the Open University (www.open.ac.uk), they would use your level 7 degree as a credit transfer so you could get an honours degree in around a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

does anyone know where i can see a list of what degree/diploma corresponds to what level? for example i have a Bachelor of Arts from the UK. i think it's a level 7 but not sure. searched online but can't find anything.

• Advertisement

i had to contact the college and they told me. Don't think there is a list unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Julez

Hi, though my question fit in under this catagory quite nicely.
    I have a level 7 ordinary BSc is Computing and I'm looking to get it up to a level 8 degree. The thing is I'd like to do it in a slightly different area of computing to what I did previously, I presume I can do this in one year? I can't seem to see too many courses for a higher degree that our just one year though, they all start from the begining and are four years long. Do one year honours degree courses excist? Could I start in the final year of one of these 4 yr courses, or would I have to go back to the begining because its a slightly different area?
    Sorry, I get so confused with all this kind of stuff, think I'll be visiting my previous college guidence counselor soon but would like to have a bit of info going in.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!

Thats pretty much what I am doing. I did a BSC in Computers (pass). Looked at going back to the college I did the course in and they could give me some exemptions but certainly could not complete it in a year.

I also had a look at Dublin Business School but it looked like it would take two years with them.

In the end I opted for a Open Degree from the Open University for a number of reasons.

Firstly I can do two level 3 modules and have an honours degree. You could do two modules in one year but the OU strongly advice you not to and I think they are right. I am finding even one module a heavy workload.

I decided not to do computer subjects because its a long time since i worked in that area.

You could send a transcript of your results to the Open University and see what you would need for an honours computer degree.

Any questions give me a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

el_gaucho wrote: »
    does anyone know where i can see a list of what degree/diploma corresponds to what level? for example i have a Bachelor of Arts from the UK. i think it's a level 7 but not sure. searched online but can't find anything.

If your degree is a BA and not a BA (hons), then it's a level 7 pass degree and you won't be able to do postgraduate courses until you bring it up to a level 8 honours degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

eth0_ wrote: »
    If your degree is a BA and not a BA (hons), then it's a level 7 pass degree and you won't be able to do postgraduate courses until you bring it up to a level 8 honours degree.
    the course was a BA(hons), which I've since established is equal to Level 8, so you're right when you say that a standard BA is level 7.

• Advertisement
Advertisement