Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acai Berry

• 27-11-2008 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

anyone hear of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

I think like most berries it has good anti-oxident properties, I don't know much more about it though.

I do know that I drink pomegranate and acai berry juice from time to time and it tastes damn good!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Much beloved by Gillian McKeith as a superfood,and I'm sure it has a high anti-oxidant rating, but it's so expensive that you are never going to get much value out of it. I've only ever tasted it dried, and I wasn't impressed, thought it had a rather metallic taste. You are probably better off buying mixed frozen berries or cranberries right now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Apparently they contain 10,000 times the amount of anti-oxidants of other berries. Meh, I don't really believe anti-oxidants are all their made out to be.. there has been no evidence that the feeding of anti-oxidants have any more than a weak correlation to a slightly longer average lifespan. It's a chicken and egg scenario, I propose that people who age faster have the higher levels of oxidative stress, but that the lack of antioxidants will not cause the oxidative stress in the first place, nor prevent it most likely.

We are adaptable creatures and are perfectly capable of living healthily in lots of places on the planet. Places that usually have ready access to water, other animals and plants. Anything more is surplus to requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrshappy

Hearing loads about this lately as a weight loss supplement - anyone tried it for this?

It's a con. It's a berry. That's it. If you eat it instead of doughnuts, it can help with weight loss. Eat it on its own, and it will have no effect on your weight.

It claims to have lots of anti-oxidants, but there is no proof that these have any indication on weight loss. It certainly has no other ingredients that promote weight loss in any way.

I find it interesting that there is a mega advertising campaign on, with endless amounts of spam (I get almost as many offers for acai berries as to add three inches to my penis) but there are no studies to show any beneficial effects from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I'm aout to start aproject using FRAP analysis to determine the actual antioxidant content of some fruit and veg so as to compare it to the claimed quantities, was gonna do cruciferous veg but might do acai and gogi out of curiosity now! hmm..
    Will let ye know the results if I go for them.

I'm aout to start aproject using FRAP analysis to determine the actual antioxidant content of some fruit and veg so as to compare it to the claimed quantities, was gonna do cruciferous veg but might do acai and gogi out of curiosity now! hmm..

Can't WAIT to see those.

EileenG wrote: »
    Can't WAIT to see those.

I know it'd be deadly to know, I'll find out tomorrow if it's possible to analyse them.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Oh. Oh. Oh, please do organic vs non-organic! Also maybe take into account sugar content which gobbles up anti-oxidants like they're going out of fashion. Please let us know the results!

Lol I'll try I have to suggest it to my partner and lab technician first and see if they like the idea!

• Advertisement

It's got lots of potential for publicity. There is so much rubbish about how acai berries will melt the fat off, that a bit of good research setting the record straight, should go into all the major newspapers.

If the results were very unusual it would be published but FRAP analysis isn't the best method to use really, it's just the assay type we got assigned so have to work with it but the results wouldn't be as credible as they might be using some of the other methods.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

If the results were very unusual it would be published but FRAP analysis isn't the best method to use really, it's just the assay type we got assigned so have to work with it but the results wouldn't be as credible as they might be using some of the other methods.

This could be your ticket to the big time :D

sesna wrote: »
    This could be your ticket to the big time :D

Lol ya groundbreaking stuff altogether! :p I'll let ye's know anyway if they're up for it, it'll take a few weeks to get it done and do the stats up anyway. I hate this crap, have to do a report, a review and a bloody powerpoint presentation on it at the end! As if doing exams isn't bad enough!

No luck with the berries ladies, apparantly they're too brightly coloured and as the assay is dependant on a colour change we'd have to do too many dilutions of the solution to be able to see the change which would make it too innacurate sorry! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JohnnyRandom

I was just wondering if anyone hear has every actually taken acai. Just I'm hearing so much about it lately but I'd rather know more about it before taking it. Like I know you can't get the actually berry in Ireland because it goes off to fast so is the organic powder stuff or capsules any good?

I've had the juice, and the dried berries. It's nothing special. Remember a few years back when blueberries were being touted as the answer to all your nutritional needs? Acai is the same, just more expensive. It's a berry. Get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

I'm sure they are good for you. That said, I don't think they are a subtitute for healthy, balanced eating. If they were, would you see so many overweight people walking around? No, they'll all be eating magic berries and have perfect bodies.

What I'd love is a magic computer program that would automatically erase all the damned acai berry advertisements from the internet. Between those and the ones promising the secret to whiter teeth, I've just about had it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JohnnyRandom

I do hate the white teeth ads myself I must admit. Thanks very much for your input. Think what I'll do is try and research the subject a bit more out of curiosity but if I end up getting any I'll let you know what I think.

Hmm, I don't get the white teeth ones. I get lots of people telling me that women don't care about money as long as I have a 10 inch penis, and offering to give me one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

research!!!

Are you out of your mind - its a bloody berry.

Go get some blackberries or strawberries.

Its the super food equivalent of the ab king pro - great ad, packaged well, pormising lots and delivering very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dublinreg

Beware of the FREE product offer on some webpage links - like this one for instance ..........

http://www.weeklyhealthireland.com/latest/helencohen/dietbreakthrough/i1/index.php

If you dont read the small print in the T&C - they start to bill you for the full amount after the 15 day trial period has ended !!!!

Dont know if the product works yet or not !!!!!

whats there to 'work' its a bloody berry for gods sake. Please screw your heads on

Transform wrote: »
    whats there to 'work' its a bloody berry for gods sake. Please screw your heads on

Hey whats with the agro!!??? :confused: If you're the expert show us something to back up your arguement or else live and let live!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ladyA

It is listed here as having a high level of antioxdants. However eating processed, unhealthy foods and then eating acai berries is not going to have any effect on your health.

ORAC units per 100 grams (about 3½ ounces)

Agel EXO Ingredients

FOOD ORAC Score
    Acerola 70,000
    Unprocessed cocoa powder 26,000
    Wolfberry 25,300
    Açai 18,500
    Dark Chocolate 13,120
    Milk Chocolate 6,740
    Prunes 5,770
    Agel EXO 3,848
    Pomegranates 3,307
    Raisins/Dark Grapes 2,830
    Blueberries 2,400
    Blackberries 2,036
    Garlic 1,939
    Kale 1,770
    Cranberries 1,750
    Strawberries 1,540
    Noni Fruit Juice (pure) 1,506
    Spinach 1,260
    ViaViente Brand Juice 1,245*
    Raspberries 1,220
    Brussels Sprouts 980
    Plums 949
    Alfalfa Sprouts 930
    Broccoli Florets 890
    Beets 840
    Oranges 750
    Red Bell Peppers 710
    Red Grapes 739
    Cherries 670
    Kiwi Fruit 610
    Xango Brand Juice 621**
    Grapefruit, pink 483
    Grapes, White 460
    Onion 450
    Tahitian Noni Brand Juice 416*
    Corn 400
    Egg Plant 390
    Cauliflower 385
    Peas, Frozen 375
    Potato 300
    Sweet Potato 295
    Cabbage 295
    Leaf Lettuce 265
    Cantaloupe 250
    Banana 210
    Apple 207
    Tofu 205
    Carrot 200
    String Beans 200
    Tomato 195
    Apricot 175
    Peach 170
    Yellow Squash 150
    Pear 110
    Iceberg/Head Lettuce 105
    Watermelon 100
    Honeydew Melon 97
    Celery 75
    Cucumber 60

If you are determined to buy acai berries, they are in Holland & Barret at the moment for 8 euro odd, and the second bottle is half price.

But honestly, looking at that list, I'd much rather have the dark chocolate.

Hey whats with the agro!!??? :confused: If you're the expert show us something to back up your arguement or else live and let live!
    I have done lots of work in this area for years so there is no agro just frustration that someone could be so focused on such minor details.

e.g. - http://thetransformationcatalyst.wordpress.com/2009/12/16/superfoods-to-slow-aging/

Majoring in minors is NOT the way to optimal health and sorry if i come across strong but when you work with a couple of hundred people every year for years a trend will form!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

I have done lots of work in this area for years so there is no agro just frustration that someone could be so focused on such minor details.

e.g. - http://thetransformationcatalyst.wordpress.com/2009/12/16/superfoods-to-slow-aging/

Majoring in minors is NOT the way to optimal health and sorry if i come across strong but when you work with a couple of hundred people every year for years a trend will form!

I know exactly where you are coming from, but I have to say it, you are wasting your time! - its obvious from reading through this thread that the quick fix mentality is still alive and well, and people would rather believe that an expensive berry is better than a bit of hard work and dedication!

edit|: maybe i am missing something here, but there is a paragraph about those bloody berries on the first page of the link you posted - not the best example IMO

I agree that the whole functional foods industry is generally a money making scam and haven't any time for the whole super antioxidant packed berry craze either but if you want people to see something from your perspective it's prob better to provide something to back your arguement up with rather than insulting them.
    I don't get the link though what point are you making with it? You seem fairly keen on acai, gogi and cranberry as 'superfoods' that supposidly slow down the aging process yourself?? :confused: It doesn't really provide any info on the topic.
    At then end of the day people who focus on these foods to find a 'cure' or magic bullet aren't really doing any harm to themselves other than to their own wallets fo let them off with it if it makes them happy.

• Advertisement

I agree that the whole functional foods industry is generally a money making scam and haven't any time for the whole super antioxidant packed berry craze either but if you want people to see something from your perspective it's prob better to provide something to back your arguement up with rather than insulting them.
    I don't get the link though what point are you making with it? You seem fairly keen on acai, gogi and cranberry as 'superfoods' that supposidly slow down the aging process yourself?? :confused: It doesn't really provide any info on the topic.
    At then end of the day people who focus on these foods to find a 'cure' or magic bullet aren't really doing any harm to themselves other than to their own wallets fo let them off with it if it makes them happy.

Wow your final statement was just stunning!

my point is that Acai berries are not going to matter a dam in the overall scheme of things. Yes they are a good food to include in your diet if you can afford them but are they more beneficial to you than say a few blackberries for a fraction of the price? Oh and you can pick them for free when in season. are they going to have as big a role to play in overall health than say fish oils? Hell no!

I have given you enough 'food for thought' and if you want to waste your money when it could be spent more wisely then good for you.

People who focus on the magic bullet will never find one and that is the function of a forum - to wise individuals up to that fact.

My clients success in terms of weight loss, performance and health improvments are all the proof i ever need as to whats worth looking into more and whats really important to do daily.

All the best and i never inteded to insult you in any way

Advertisement