Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Husky mauls child

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Could you please pm me the recording if you get a chance?

Thanks in advance

No because it would be illegal. But I can send you some more info !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I don't know what to say. Bad enough that a warden should be so ignorant, but for someone employed by the Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals to be so unenlightened is ... well I don't know what it is, I'm lost for words.

I once heard the RSPCA mistakenly called the Royal Society for the protection of cruelty to animals, maybe its time for a name change here in Ireland?:mad:

I have a friend in Canada who has a Carellian (sp) bear dog, the clue is in their name as to what they're used for. Wonder why she didn't just get a malamute?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'm almost ashamed to be from the same county as him, I used to always have so much respect for Frankie, he used to come around to us in school and tell us all about the dogs but ive just lost all respect for him now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Discodog wrote: »
    He said that he & his wife had owned a Yorkshire Terrier for years. But when his first grandchild was born the dog got jealous of the baby & he had to get rid of his own dog.

Proof beyond any doubt whatsoever that he doesn't even have the most basic understanding of dogs and has no business whatsoever being paid to do a job in which he has no knowledge of the subject matter.

This is coming from a person who got a another terrier breed much better know for being unsuitable for homes with kids, with one 3 year old at the time I got the dog living in the house and 3 more then 1, 2 and 4 year old kids here on an 8am to 7pm basis at least five days a week with not one single dog/child problem whatsoever in the entire period from baby dog, through adolescence to doggie adulthood.

I've listened to the broadcast now. He does actually make some fair points, but they are completely lost in the nonsense that he spouts about the dangerous dog breeds:mad: I've asked all of my malamute friends about their dogs being bred to bring down brown bears - can't wait to see the responses.

I wonder if he only has one grandchild? What on earth would they have done if the first grandchild had been jealous of the next one? Now thats unheard of isn't it, children being jealous of other children - would he advocate dumping the eldest grandchild?

• Advertisement

ISDW wrote: »
    I've listened to the broadcast now. He does actually make some fair points, but they are completely lost in the nonsense that he spouts about the dangerous dog breeds:mad: I've asked all of my malamute friends about their dogs being bred to bring down brown bears - can't wait to see the responses.

As our resident Malamute expert have you ever heard that they were bred for Bear hunting ? I did a google & I couldn't find any references.

Surely the ISPCA should be speaking out in defence of dogs. All he had to say was that it was an unfortunate incident & that we don't know the cause, which is the truth. I can't understand why he had to go spouting all the other stuff. Rather than sensationalising the whole thing he should of been the voice of calm. He should of been reassuring people not scaring them.

Your Malamute friends & any other dog lovers should contact the ISPCA & make their feeling known.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

That's the joys of ignorance lad, I had a heated debate not two hours ago with a lad who just bought a Jack Russell pup for his missus for her birthday,and he is convinced that they were bred for hunting BEARS!!!!!!! When I told him that parson Russell bred them mainly for badgers he went mental! Isn't it amazing,the stuff they hide in those big heavy square things called books!

Longranger wrote: »
    That's the joys of ignorance lad, I had a heated debate not two hours ago with a lad who just bought a Jack Russell pup for his missus for her birthday,and he is convinced that they were bred for hunting BEARS!!!!!!! When I told him that parson Russell bred them mainly for badgers he went mental! Isn't it amazing,the stuff they hide in those big heavy square things called books!

I hate the "they were originally bred for X" comments. In 99% of breeds it means nothing. But it is even worse when it is broadcast to thousands by someone who would regarded by many as an expert.

I'm not a mal expert DD, but no, I have never heard of them being used for hunting or bringing down bears. I shall be making my feelings known to the ISPCA, and shall be informing the Malamute club about what was said.

So many things that are unanswered from all of this though, what would make a dog attack a child like that, but then accept a stranger (dog warden) onto his property, allow him to lead him out, put him in a van, and into a pen in the dog pound with no hint of aggression whatsoever? I would imagine that the dog would be in pain after being hit with a shovel - I am not condemning the neighbour for doing that, if it was necessary to save the child's life, I would do the same. But surely the dog would be in pain, and would be very suspicious of any stranger approaching?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'm friends with Ennis pound on Facebook and since all this has happened they've had a husky/shepherd mix who has been put in the pound and apparently since re-homed (the pics has been labelled re-homed) and earlier I saw 2 pictures of huskies in a 'Found' folder on their page were uploaded today but I just went on to try and find them again but the pictures weren't there. I really hope that there won't be an influx of northern breeds in the pounds because of this, because now that there is the perception of them being 'dangerous dogs', their chances don't seem to great :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ben_10

I have an 18 month old male malamute and a 20 month old male siberian husky. They both do everything together and get on really well. I have all the harness equipment i need to work the dogs and I can attach anything with wheels to my line and they will run all day long.

The malamute was never bred to take down bears and I dont know where the dog warden got that information. The Karelian bear dog was bred to do this. Malamutes are bred to pull sleds. He sounds like he hasnt a clue when it comes to northern breeds. He also referred to the dog in question as a "husky" type which further proves he hasnt a clue.

There is a siberian husky and samoyed husky. They are the only two breeds with husky in their name recognized by most kennel clubs. There are other husky breeds such as an alaskan huskie which are not recognized by kennel clubs. Other northern breeds include the akita, malamute, eskimo dog, chow chow, greenland dog, and the karelian bear dog to name a few. All of these and a few i havent mentioned are the main dog type of northern parts of the world and the proper classification is "Spitz" type, not "husky" type. You would think a man with his job would know these kind of things. His misclassification does not do siberian huskies any justice.

Then you have the media "Devil husky dog" and a picture of a snarling wolf. Are these people for real. Pure ignorance.

Heres a few pictures of my two for the road. I can honestly say that they are the friendliest two dogs I have ever come across. They are great with any one that comes to the house and with any body they meet outside. They love people and they love attention. They are not the best when it comes to other dogs of the same sex but they never ever show any signs of aggression towards people. Theres a reason they are not used as guard dogs. It would take something very special for one of these guys to even dream of attacking a person.

Which is why I believe there must be special circumstances surrounding the incident that took place in Limerick. I know the dog supposedly had an ear ache, but if you ask me, you could throw in loneliness, lack of mental stimulation, lack of physical stimulation and frustration. It could of been any breed of dog and the comments by the dog warden are from a man that hasnt got a clue and are comments of pure ignorance. These dogs are not dangerous dogs at all if brought up like they are supposed to be.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Ben_10 wrote: »
    There is a siberian husky and samoyed husky. They are the only two breeds with husky in their name recognized by most kennel clubs.

A Samoyed is not a husky, the breed name is Samoyed - not Samoyed husky, it is classified as spitz type, the same type as those that have spitz in their name, pomeranians, Akita and all of the northern breeds including Siberian Huskies and Alaskan Malamutes. It is no more a husky than a Pomeranian is.

List of Spitz breeds here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

I have an 18 month old male malamute and a 20 month old male siberian husky. They both do everything together and get on really well. I have all the harness equipment i need to work the dogs and I can attach anything with wheels to my line and they will run all day long.

The malamute was never bred to take down bears and I dont know where the dog warden got that information. The Karelian bear dog was bred to do this. Malamutes are bred to pull sleds. He sounds like he hasnt a clue when it comes to northern breeds. He also referred to the dog in question as a "husky" type which further proves he hasnt a clue.

There is a siberian husky and samoyed husky. They are the only two breeds with husky in their name recognized by most kennel clubs. There are other husky breeds such as an alaskan huskie which are not recognized by kennel clubs. Other northern breeds include the akita, malamute, eskimo dog, chow chow, greenland dog, and the karelian bear dog to name a few. All of these and a few i havent mentioned are the main dog type of northern parts of the world and the proper classification is "Spitz" type, not "husky" type. You would think a man with his job would know these kind of things. His misclassification does not do siberian huskies any justice.

Then you have the media "Devil husky dog" and a picture of a snarling wolf. Are these people for real. Pure ignorance.

Heres a few pictures of my two for the road. I can honestly say that they are the friendliest two dogs I have ever come across. They are great with any one that comes to the house and with any body they meet outside. They love people and they love attention. They are not the best when it comes to other dogs of the same sex but they never ever show any signs of aggression towards people. Theres a reason they are not used as guard dogs. It would take something very special forE one of these guys to even dream of attacking a person.

Which is why I believe there must be special circumstances surrounding the incident that took place in Limerick. I know the dog supposedly had an ear ache, but if you ask me, you could throw in loneliness, lack of mental stimulation, lack of physical stimulation and frustration. It could of been any breed of dog and the comments by the dog warden are from a man that hasnt got a clue and are comments of pure ignorance. These dogs are not dangerous dogs at all if brought up like they are supposed to be.

Beautiful dogs. Look like they need quite a bit of grooming. Look really cute together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

Discodog wrote: »
    His Pound killed 747 dogs in 2010

Jesus that's brutal :(

I don't know whether it is mere coincidence or just me giving it more attention after all said on this thread, but there *appears* to be a lot more grown "husky type" dogs appearing on dd since this story broke. Again, it might be normality and I'm just taking more notice but it certainly at least appears that way.

A Samoyed is not a husky, the breed name is Samoyed - not Samoyed husky, it is classified as spitz type, the same type as those that have spitz in their name, pomeranians, Akita and all of the northern breeds including Siberian Huskies and Alaskan Malamutes. It is no more a husky than a Pomeranian is.

List of Spitz breeds here

Your right, sorry.

Your right, sorry.

End of the day, they are all just dogs. Your not the only person who made that mistake but rather ironic given the context of your post!

Sorry to be pedantic Ben_10 because your post was very good, but Akitas aren't a northern breed either, they are an ancient, spitz breed, but not a northern breed bred for sledding.:)

I've had the pleasure of meeting some Greenland and Canadian Eskimo Dogs, and they are lovely, real out and out working sled dogs and not suitable for pet homes - not because they are nasty, but they are real working powerhouses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

ISDW wrote: »
    Sorry to be pedantic Ben_10 because your post was very good, but Akitas aren't a northern breed either, they are an ancient, spitz breed, but not a northern breed bred for sledding.:)

You got there just before me ISDW ;).

Akitas most certainly aren't a northern breed but one of the more primitive breeds classed in the Spitz category. They've held two jobs in the past, one was holding bears at bay until the hunter caught up (not killing the bear itself which many people seem to claim - well baby bear possibly)
    and babysitting children when the mother went to work on the rice paddies.

As for sledding? My girl is happy out running along side me when jogging or on the bike, but as for having the motivation to pull a rig? Well it can be testing at the best of times :rolleyes:.

End of the day, they are all just dogs. Your not the only person who made that mistake but rather ironic given the context of your post!

It is a bit ironic :D but im not a dog warden or a person that works with dogs. Im not claiming to be an expert, just highlighting readily available information.

You would think a dog warden would be able to identify a breed of dog before he starts making comments about it.

He sounds like he's more interested in putting dogs down than looking out for them.

Anybody that owns a malamute or husky will tell you that they are some of the friendliest breeds towards people and are certainly not dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭REPTILEDAN88

You would think a dog warden would be able to identify a breed of dog before he starts making comments about it.
    Sadly they or the Gardai generally don't have a clue at least in my experience as to with dealing with Dogs restricted or otherwise well the ones I dealt with didn't anyway. According to the Gardai if its not a pitbull then its not dangerous ime, the 2 dogs in question were 2 terriers running around were I live attacking other dogs and owners but I would get stopped with my dog in my own garden even when he was on a lead and undercontrol.

• Advertisement

Just an update on this. Clare FM, the Morning program, would be interested in speaking to anyone who might like to comment regarding the Coote interview. Might be good if a couple of Malamute owners could speak out in defence of the breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

So it's happened again. I suppose it's time to blame the child or the parents once more. Typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

The poor child I hope she'll be ok. I also wish that idiot Frank would talk some sense for once. Big dogs and kids are great together as long as both are trained properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Hooked

TillyGirl wrote: »
    The poor child I hope she'll be ok. I also wish that idiot Frank would talk some sense for once. Big dogs and kids are great together as long as both are trained properly.

Agreed 100%

And the last dog, in Limerick WASN'T a Siberian Husky!!! My heart goes out to the family and the girl. But the bandwagon better stay clear of me and my dog. I'm getting sick of this...

Let's get all our facts straight on this one before all Sibes are tarred with the same brush!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I can see them being added to the RB list soon, the more the red top rags go with this the sooner it could happen. BSL is utter crap.

These "attacks" will continue to happen whilst the Wardens/Guards fail to determine the real reason & assume that it's all the dog's fault. The dog will probably be dead by now so any investigation is impossible.

Coote will be on Clare FM tomorrow 10.45am & will no doubt spout more rubbish. Meanwhile the Pounds & rescues can expect an influx of "Huskies" so basically anything with pointed ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

So it's happened again. I suppose it's time to blame the child or the parents once more. Typical.

Not enough information has been reported yet to make a determination. But it looks like you have already came to a conclusion.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Not enough information has been reported yet to make a determination. But it looks like you have already came to a conclusion.

But can you blame someone for drawing a conclusion when the ISPCA state that the breed is dangerous & that large dogs & children don't mix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Hooked

The Sun running with "second" attack from this breed! THE LAST ATTACK AND TITLE OF THIS THREAD IS INCORRECT. As is Frank's quote by the paper.

It was NOT a Siberian Husky in Limerick.

These "husky type" dogs can be picked up by backyard breeders for 100 euro at the market in Limerick. I've passed many dogs marked/coloured like my Sibe and can see why to the untrained eye they'd be considered a Husky. The vast majority are not!

They are mixed breeds being picked up by people who's initial want of such a lovely looking breed is far far outweighed by the work involved in keeping, training and exercising one.

Lets' hope a few more facts make their way onto this thread and far less of this Red Top rag BS.

Advertisement