Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driving car from forecourt home - insurance?

Options
  • 20-11-2018 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, stupid question.

When buying a used car and driving it home, how does it work with insurance/tax/nct? presumably I have to have all three in place before leaving the dealership and driving home on public roads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ax530

can arrange insurance in advance once you know new reg, tax you pay once you get the log book in your own name this will be a week or so after purchase. If it does not have a valid NCT you can apply once taxed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Hi, stupid question.

When buying a used car and driving it home, how does it work with insurance/tax/nct? presumably I have to have all three in place before leaving the dealership and driving home on public roads?

In a word... yes. You'd probably get away with the NCT but not the others. Mind you I wouldn't buy second hand car with a valid NCT in the first place (assuming it's old enough to require one).

Refer to post above for more accurate info regarding tax

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Hi, stupid question.

You have the insurance prepared with the company you've selected, and either agree a "start" time (2pm or whatever) for the new insurance, or ring them to transfer it before you leave the garage.

I probably wouldn't buy a used car that doesn't have an NCT. If the car is untaxed I'd probably risk a short drive home, then apply for it online, but legally you could still be done for it during the short drive. You could, in theory, tax it from your phone while standing in the garage if you like.

For me the most important thing is to have the insurance sorted out before I get behind the wheel, and to get the tax/NCT sorted out within a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

mordeith wrote: »
    Mind you I wouldn't buy second hand car with a valid NCT in the first place (assuming it's old enough to require one).
    Thoie wrote: »
    I probably wouldn't buy a used car that doesn't have an NCT.

+1 OP, you mentioned a 'forecourt' so I assume you propose to buy this car from some class of a dealer. Do not hand over any mony unless the car has a current NCT.

Leaving aside the legalities of the situation, there is no conceivable reason why a private seller or a dealer woud sell a car with an expired NCT unless they expected it to fail the test so you'd be barking mad to buy such a car.

It's now common for independent dealers to offer a 'guarantee' that the car will pass i.e. they expect you to buy the car with no NCT, submit it for the test and they will pay to right anything which causes the car to fail. That's the theory.

Sadly people fall for this BS instead of asking a simple question: 'if you're so confident that it will pass, why don't you submit it for the test?'

Advertisement