Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just crashed, when do I ring insurance?

• 16-11-2018 4:42pm

Hi folks

Silly question. Just crashed (not at fault). Other driver took away in ambulance. My car still driving.

Do I ring my insurance company now, or do I wait until I can contact the other driver first?

Never been here before so unsure what to do.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Ring now in the event that the other drive does and screws you

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kaahooters

here this list will be helpfull
    https://imgur.com/a/0eiUsWc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ring them now and give the other drivers details and you are done, apart from waiting for the claim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 upthepoll

were the guards at the scene? make sure you know what guard attended and that they have confirmed that you were not at fault

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Get photos, lots of photos preferebly in place of collision.

You can ring them when you get home.

Is it a bad crash?

Witnesses if any get if possible and is there CCTV anywhere close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Get checked out by doctor.You may have a bump or bruising that may cause you pain later.I cannot stress enough go to the Doc!I was glad I did when I had an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

downwesht wrote: »
    Get checked out by doctor.You may have a bump or bruising that may cause you pain later.I cannot stress enough go to the Doc!I was glad I did when I had an accident.

Just to echo this - I always thought injuries appearing later were just people chancing their arm - but you could be sore tomorrow, worth it for peace of mind. And take it handy this evening, sounds serious enough to have an ambulance involved, you can get a delayed effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Presumably if the other person has been taken to hospital the gardai have attended the scene of the accident and taken a brief statement from you. However if not go to the nearest garda station immediately and report the accident. Also contact your insurance company without delay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 upthepoll

downwesht wrote: »

no offence but you sound like a daytime tv advert for an ambulance chaser!!!

Kkv how bad a crash we talking, hope all involved are ok. Meant to ask this 1st.

• Advertisement

upthepoll wrote: »

I got rear ended, the only damage was chipped paint and was still sore the next day. This seems to be a lot worse given an ambulance was involved. Adrenaline is a hell of a drug, wait til it wears off.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

upthepoll wrote: »

My missus had a small crash a couple of months ago. She was fine on the day. Since then she's had to be on strong enough pain killers, has had an MRI showing some damage and is still sore today.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As downwesht says, if it was severe enough for the other guy to end up in an ambulance, then get yourself down to the GP. You're not trying to scam anyone out of money, you're just looking after your own wellbeing.

I would recommend that you take out a pen and paper right now, and write down a detailed description of what happened, from a minute beforehand, to the point where you got home. Everything you noticed, everyone you spoke to, what they said, how they looked, and so forth. Every detail of those few minutes.

This is not for legal purposes, but your memory will start to fail you over the next 48 hours and the facts will become increasingly muddled around the same time that everyone starts asking you specifically what happened.

If you have this document to refer back to, then you're less likely to get yourself in a muddle.

After that, if you haven't already been speaking to a Garda, then you need to do that. If there was a Garda at the scene, he will have asked you to present your licence and insurance at the station. When you do that, make sure you get the details of that Garda; the insurance company will want it.

Then ring your insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

If you suffered an injury you are entitled to be compensated. Speak with a solicitor for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Photos.

Garda details - name station number

Witness details.
    Especially if anyone witnessed them admitting liability

Ring insurance details from home

IS THE C5 OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

sounds serious enough to have an ambulance involved, you can get a delayed effect.

Unfortunately a requirement for an ambulance is not always a genuine indication of a serious accident (not saying it applies to this incident).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

McCrack wrote: »
    If you suffered an injury you are entitled to be compensated. Speak with a solicitor for advice.

Maybe see your doctor first before the solicitor?

Unless of course the legal profession are medical experts now as well

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

IS THE C5 OK?

I have to admit this was the first thing I thought of when I saw that all involved were ok and saw the name of the OP :o

IS THE C5 OK?

It's never been happier.. but the Ford Galaxy I bought, on the other hand...

Cheers for the replies folks.

I'm angry that I paid for a dash cam, then the one time I need it, I don't have it with me. Typical.

To give a bit more detail, the other driver was parked on the side of the road, almost completely off the road (there wasn't a full hard shoulder but enough that you'd get by without any real inconvenience, and they were parked at a gate to a field). Road was wide enough, also. I was approaching from behind the other driver, and they pulled out to do a U-Turn. They obviously didn't see me at all (strong sunlight I presume). I beeped and braked, and tried to go into the oncoming lane (there was no oncoming traffic, which is presumably why they chose that moment to pull out).

My hope was that they'd realise there was something coming, and react by braking to a stop, and I'd go around them, and it'd all be a 'well that was lucky' and everyone would move on with their lives. Unfortunately, I just didn't have the space necessary to stop, and she continued with her movement, so we met each other in the middle of the road. I went straight into the side of her.

My airbag went off at my legs/knees, but not at the steering wheel. Her driver side 'curtain' airbags went off along the top of the door windows. Immediately I knew I felt fine, but was completely numbed with a 'pins and needles' feeling all over my body. I presume adrenaline.

I got out and knocked on her windscreen and asked if she was okay. She muttered yes, but she looked a bit shook. I tried to open the drivers door of her car to check on her but it wouldn't open (her car is a write off).

I opened the passenger door and leaned in and asked was she okay. She was visibly shaking, but said yes. I very gently squeezed her knee and arm, and asked could she feel me doing it, and she said that she could feel me, so that was a relief for me. If she couldn't feel that then I figured she might be in trouble.

At this point other people came over and i took a step back. I walked away and tried to take it all in. Three or four people were talking to the other driver. One of them rang the Gardai.

A lady approached me and said she was driving in the car right behind me, and seen it happen. Agreed that I wasn't at fault, thankfully. I got her contact number and name and she headed off as she was going somewhere.

Gardai arrived and took a brief statement from me, took my driver's license and insurance details. I don't recall seeing the garda talking to the lady at length in the car at all (who at this point was in the passenger seat, with the assistance of the other people, I'd guess), but when I told the Garda what happened, she said the woman driving the other car had the same story. So I feel a bit relieved at that, (that she isn't trying to put the blame on me, thankfully).

The Galaxy busted it's windscreen washer bottle onto the road, the bonnet is damaged, front bumper etc. (i hit her hardest at my front passenger side, but as i hit her she obviously moved across the whole front of my car, so i have the whole front damaged, but lesser damage on the driver side). An ambulance arrived and two paramedics went through things. One talked to me, and was polite. Offered me the opportunity to go to the hospital, but I felt grand (despite the pins and needles all over still being there, i did start to feel a bruise on my left leg where the airbag must have hit it). Paramedic asked what happened (unsure if that was for his forms, or just if he was making small talk). Asked had I any pains, any allergies, when I last ate, etc. At this point the other driver was put into the ambulance (she wasn't stretchered, i didn't actually see her getting in, but i believe she walked).

Tow truck arrived and took her car away. Mechanic driving the tow truck gave mine a quick look, and agreed it'd be safe to drive (by this point I'd moved my car off the road, and i reversed it, drove it forward, revved it, turned the wheels both ways etc. so i was confident it'd be okay anyway).

I drove off and that was that. Home I came.

This is the part of the post that's making me feel bad: i actually do have some pains and sores, but I don't want to be 'that guy'. I started to notice these coming on on the drive home, so I made an appointment with my GP. Unfortunately he won't see me until monday, so im not sure if i should bother heading to A+E or if i'll just leave it and if im still sore on monday then it's probably an issue, whereas now it could just be minor sores from the impact that could be gone tomorrow.

My neck is very stiff and sore, i suppose 'tense' would be the way to describe it, but I presume (guessing here obviously) that might be just from the seatbelt gripping me at the point of impact? I don't currently feel injured or such (i'm still walking around, albeit, uncomfortably).

On one hand, I really don't want to be the 'money grabbing prick' that everyone hears of in claims. On the other, if i do actually have a prolonged soreness, I don't want to screw myself by not attending A+E. I also don't want to go near A+E as I feel I'm abusing the system if I do that. There are people literally dying in there, and there's me strolling in with a sore neck, whistling away to myself.. seems wrong).

I've a busting headache but hopefully the headache tablets will knock that out. It's a very surreal experience. I'm just glad, firstly, i'm not at fault, and secondly, that I was in my car and not in theres, as, at least i got to see it all unfold. I'd say the sudden, completely out of nowhere bang of the airbags going off and my car hitting that woman will stay with her for a long time.

I have her phone number but unsure if I should contact her or not..? I don't think she lives in the area. The garda at the scene gave me her phone number and insurance info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Just to echo this - I always thought injuries appearing later were just people chancing their arm - but you could be sore tomorrow, worth it for peace of mind. And take it handy this evening, sounds serious enough to have an ambulance involved, you can get a delayed effect.

Happened to me a week after the crash, really bad back pain, 600 euro later on physio fee's I'm raging :(

This is the part of the post that's making me feel bad: i actually do have some pains and sores, but I don't want to be 'that guy'.

That’s the exact reason why I always thought delayed injuries were fraudulent, but there’s a very good reason for that. Once the adrenaline wears off you realise what hurts. Given the pins and needles feeling and headache, I personally wouldn’t wait until Monday and would try see someone sooner. Even just for peace of mind that everything you’re feeling is normal. Sounds intense.

Happened to me a week after the crash, really bad back pain, 600 euro later on physio fee's I'm raging :(

Surely if its only a week after the crash, you could get that money back (via insurance?).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

You won't be abusing a+e. They have triage there, you won't skip in front of someone dying, don't worry. Go if you feel you need to. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭Mech1

Go to A&E go now, bring a notebook and pen. keep filling in the details as they come to you however small they seem to you.

Get well soon!

Kkv go rest and you may well feel worse tomorrow. Don't go driving or doing anything strenuous.

Take a Panadol if needs be or stronger if worse.

Go see your doctor tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Happened me a few weeks back, My Mrs convinced me to go to the doctors and get anti1inflammatories, I gave in for a peaceful life, next day I was sore but have been fine since.the doctor said muscular pain can be delayed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I was out walking early in the weak and witnessed a rear end crash. The one at fault was going too fast and the roads did not look great either. Id say the roads were greasy so that would not have helped neither would tyres that looked to have lost the best of there grip. The Women in the car she crashed into was in shock but otherwise seemed ok and there was no damage to her car a Galaxy. The other women's car to was in bits. Say what you like new cars are built tougher and stronger than cars from even a decade ago.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    neither would tyres that looked to have lost the best of there grip.

Funny you mention that. I expected the Gardai would have taken a look around the car/s for tyres (thankfully, mine are all decent).

I also expected, especially as the other driver was taken in an ambulance, to be breathalysed, but I wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Do you have an out of hours doctor you could see over the weekend as opposed to spending half the day in A&E? She caused the accident. I'd be inclined to see if she contacts you instead of ringing her.

Advertisement