Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seeking Advice on starting into inland boating

• 08-12-2018 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi all,

I would really like to experience inland waterways boating and I would like some initial advice. Ideally I would like to do the following:

(1) Purchase a small cruiser, e.g. a Freeman 22, 23, 24
    (2) Acquire basic boat handling and waterways etiquette instruction - e.g. RYA Inland Helmsman type course
    (3) Moor the boat somewhere convenient such as Ballinasloe marina so that I can explore the Shannon, Erne, the Canals, using that location as a home base?
    (4) Store the boat somewhere over Winter period

My experience to date:
    Absolutely none (except for leisure kayaking on lonely back lakes in Connemara!!!). I did apply to get on an RYA Inland helmsman course in NI but it never materialised.
    I like the size and "simplicity" of a small Freeman cruiser - that is just based on a visual and on absolutely zero boating experience. If there are other recommendations, I would be happy to know of them.
    I know nothing about mooring, nothing about insurance, nothing about boat maintenance, nothing about engines or engine maintenance, nothing about canal locks. I come from a landlubber background but the call of getting onto inland waterways is very strong - I definitely have a desire to do this - any frank or plain blunt advice, so long as it is constructive, is very welcome.

Thank you for reading this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it was me I'd rent out one of those cruisers on the shannon for a weekend to see if it's for you first.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If it was me I'd rent out one of those cruisers on the shannon for a weekend to see if it's for you first.

That's a good idea.
    Best to try before you buy.
    Don't rent anything too big as it will be a come down if you get used to the bigger boat but can't afford to buy one.

Also have a look at https://www.iwai.ie/

Lots of info. there.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭deaglan1

Thanks guys - I knew that would be the first piece of advice. Yes I will rent a weekender. But I do know already that this is for me. The IWAI informed me sometime ago that there are no instructional courses available in the Republic for inland waterways.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The hire boat companies will give you a bit of training but have a look at doing a powerboat course https://powerboatschool.ie/ this will give you a good idea of how to handle a boat, there are also get to know your boat courses that will teach you basic info on maintaining your boat and engine. Asking any questions you have on forums like this is a great help as we have all been there and made most of the mistakes :o

fergal.b wrote: »
    The hire boat companies will give you a bit of training but have a look at doing a powerboat course https://powerboatschool.ie/ this will give you a good idea of how to handle a boat, there are also get to know your boat courses that will teach you basic info on maintaining your boat and engine. Asking any questions you have on forums like this is a great help as we have all been there and made most of the mistakes :o

Thank you Fergal - the powerboat option seems like a very good starting point. Are these other courses you refer to from powerboatschool or are there other options?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The other courses are Usually posted on the IWAI site. https://www.iwai.ie/kildare/know-your-boat-course-nov/

From April on Lakeside Marina in Athlone will have a 23 foot day boat that you can rent out a lot cheeper than one of the big hire boats, the boats are well protected with prop guards and engine guards for beginners so a good way to get used to handling a boat without the worry of doing any damage they will also give you basic training and maps of places to visit on the lake and have a back up boat if you have any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

That would be the typical boards advice but I wouldn't do this. I'd put the zillion Euros rent towards the purchase of the boat instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

bilbot79 wrote: »
    That would be the typical boards advice but I wouldn't do this. I'd put the zillion Euros rent towards the purchase of the boat instead.

Actually very reasonable off season with Carrickcraft and even cheaper if ye pay in stg. Big fall coming.

Don't work for Carrickcraft just a very satisfied customer.

bilbot79 wrote: »

If you have a partner or kids it would be well worth your while taking them on a comfortable warm cruise to see how they like it "treat it like a small holiday" if you just go out and buy a boat and then find out it's not for the family you could be wasting your zillion euros and be in a world of trouble with your other half, believe me I have seen it happen :)

• Advertisement

From April on Lakeside Marina in Athlone will have a 23 foot day boat that you can rent out a lot cheeper than one of the big hire boats, the boats are well protected with prop guards and engine guards for beginners so a good way to get used to handling a boat without the worry of doing any damage they will also give you basic training and maps of places to visit on the lake and have a back up boat if you have any problems.

That sounds really interesting - I might try that as a taster. Thank you again Fergal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

Good advice there. The only thing to note is that Ballinasloe is a public marina so it will not be possible to base your boat there full time. There is a 4 or 5 day limit on public marinas/harbours. There are plenty of private marinas in Banagher, Portumna and Athlone. There's also Moycarn Lodge & Marina near Ballinasloe who may rent berths.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/freeman-24-reduced-offers-welcome/19779932

Maybe a Winter bargain.
    As with any boat a survey is recommended.

Donie75 wrote: »
    Good advice there. The only thing to note is that Ballinasloe is a public marina so it will not be possible to base your boat there full time. There is a 4 or 5 day limit on public marinas/harbours. There are plenty of private marinas in Banagher, Portumna and Athlone. There's also Moycarn Lodge & Marina near Ballinasloe who may rent berths.

Excellent information to have Donie - thank you for enlightening me on my naivety re Ballinasloe.

elperello wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/freeman-24-reduced-offers-welcome/19779932

Maybe a Winter bargain.
    As with any boat a survey is recommended.

Thank you elperello - that looks like the ideal type of boat I would envisage purchasing.

Boats are two a penny at the moment what you are really buying is the engine and gearbox you want to get the best you can afford, as you don't seem to know too much about engines try and get someone that does to go with you to look at any boat, if your spending money you can't afford to loose get an engineers report. When buying a boat add on the other cost that might be involved like, marina mooring about €1000, insurance €200, VHF, chart plotter, life jackets, ropes, fenders fuel and so on you might also want to do a VHF course and navigation course. I'm not trying to put you off life on the water is worth every penny in my eyes just be prepared to spend more than you think :eek: learning how to fix and maintain your boat will also save you money and that's something we can help you with here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Boats are two a penny at the moment what you are really buying is the engine and gearbox you want to get the best you can afford, as you don't seem to know too much about engines try and get someone that does to go with you to look at any boat, if your spending money you can't afford to loose get an engineers report. When buying a boat add on the other cost that might be involved like, marina mooring about €1000, insurance €200, VHF, chart plotter, life jackets, ropes, fenders fuel and so on you might also want to do a VHF course and navigation course. I'm not trying to put you off life on the water is worth every penny in my eyes just be prepared to spend more than you think :eek: learning how to fix and maintain your boat will also save you money and that's something we can help you with here :)

As a boat-owner, you'll have 2 of the happiest days of your life... The day you buy, and the day you sell... There's a reason for that old adage.

I'm not posting this to.put you off, but to reinforce the above advice... Be prepared through proper due diligence.. The more preparation you do now, the more enjoyable will be your experience..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,775 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

As a boat-owner, you'll have 2 of the happiest days of your life... The day you buy, and the day you sell... There's a reason for that old adage.

Dunno about that, we've just sold our boat, and it's an awfully sad day :(:(

I'd echo what a few have said above - buying a boat is one thing, but keeping and maintaining a boat is a whole other kettle of fish which needs to be budgeted for.

So just make sure you go into it with your eyes open and all the information you can find (which you seem to be doing with your posts here, in fairness!).

Best of luck with it all!!! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

To echo Fergal's point, when buying an old motorboat, you're buying an engine (and gear box) with assorted fibreglass and wooden features around it. The single most valuable piece of gear is the mechanics, the rest is curiously almost worthless. This is what you need to focus on for the business of buying boats and parting with your hard earned cash.

Thanks again Fergal - I am beginning to realise now that I might need to spend the next year foregoing a boat and instead gleaning valuable knowledge of this type, taking tasters on the water, accessing some relevant courses, and just getting to talk to any old hands who are willing to converse - this has been a really worthwhile thread for me - an engine and gearbox is the money end - that is invaluable advice for a novice like myself.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Dunno about that, we've just sold our boat, and it's an awfully sad day :(:(

I'd echo what a few have said above - buying a boat is one thing, but keeping and maintaining a boat is a whole other kettle of fish which needs to be budgeted for.

So just make sure you go into it with your eyes open and all the information you can find (which you seem to be doing with your posts here, in fairness!).

Best of luck with it all!!! :)
    I don't even own a boat yet and I am empathizing with you having to sell yours!!

Tabnabs wrote: »
    To echo Fergal's point, when buying an old motorboat, you're buying an engine (and gear box) with assorted fibreglass and wooden features around it. The single most valuable piece of gear is the mechanics, the rest is curiously almost worthless. This is what you need to focus on for the business of buying boats and parting with your hard earned cash.

Thanks for that advice Tabnabs - just adding to my already shattered perception of the beauty of the boat being the all important consideration. I truly am an arty neophyte. Exactly the kind of information I require.

Advertisement