Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving other cars extension.

• 05-12-2018 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Hi, just following on from a hypothetical canteen conversation earlier. I know in individual cases the answer is to check with your own insurance but generally speaking, is a named driver, not policy holder, on a policy covered by the driving other cars extension?

I would have guessed not but there were different opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Generally not, as far as I'm aware. The purpose of a named driver is allow someone who may not otherwise be covered on your vehicle to be able to use it incidentally.

Typically a spouse or a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

... is a named driver, not policy holder, on a policy covered by the driving other cars extension?

Never. Only applies to the policyholder. Named driver is covered only when driving the car specified on the policy.

Think about it.....Johnny gets himself named on Mammy's policy (2011 Nissan Micra) and is then free to drive any car borrowed from anybody. Nobody under the age of 30 would take out a policy in their own name if what you're asking about was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

coylemj wrote: »
    ... is a named driver, not policy holder, on a policy covered by the driving other cars extension?

Never. Only applies to the policyholder. Named driver is covered only when driving the car specified on the policy.

Think about it.....Johnny gets himself named on Mammy's policy (2011 Nissan Micra) and is then free to drive any car borrowed from anybody. Nobody under the age of 30 would take out a policy in their own name if what you're asking about was the case.

That was the way I taught it was but one of the lads took out his cert and quoted, drivers covered: the insured, drivers named on policy and mechanics.
    Vehicles covered, The reg on policy and cars not owned by insured etc.

Clear as mud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

The 'vehicles covered' section will state "any motor Car being driven,with the owner's consent, by the Insured.........in other words the Person who has taken out the policy.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    The 'vehicles covered' section will state "any motor Car being driven,with the owner's consent, by the Insured.........in other words the Person who has taken out the policy.
    That makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

mgbgt1978 wrote: »

+1 OP, your friend is either an idiot or was making it up to impress his audience.

As mgbgt1978 pointed out above, it's pretty clear when you read the cert. what cars are covered under 'Vehicles, or Classes of Vehicles, the use of which is covered.....'.

On my Axa cert. it's clear as day (text emboldened by me) ......

(a) The vehicle bearing registration number xxx xxx xxx (my car)

(b) Any Motor Car being driven, with the consent of the owner, by the Insured, provided such vehicle does not belong to him/her and is not hired to him/her under a hire purchase agreeement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I asked this question to RSA insurance and reply was this.

Thank you for your email.

Please be advised that driving other cars is a benefit for the policy holder only, and does not extend to the named drivers.
    As you said yourself the car has to be Taxed and NCT and although we would prefer the car has its own insurance, it will be covered under your own insurance for Third Party protection during this time.

Kind regards

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    I asked this question to RSA insurance and reply was this.

Thank you for your email.

Please be advised that driving other cars is a benefit for the policy holder only, and does not extend to the named drivers.
    As you said yourself the car has to be Taxed and NCT and although we would prefer the car has its own insurance, it will be covered under your own insurance for Third Party protection during this time.

Kind regards
    That clears it up for me, thanks.

Advertisement