Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Instagram spots in Dublin and around

• 08-10-2018 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi guys.  Do you know some good places to take pictures? Any good undiscovered gems and please exclude all touristic places. Thnx :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

lil_kev wrote: »
    Hi guys.  Do you know some good places to take pictures? Any good undiscovered gems and please exclude all touristic places. Thnx :)

Tough one to answer, depends what kind of thing you are in to photographing.
    I got some nice shots of the little lane ways around the Aungier street area covered in graffiti.
    Then there is obviously the scenic photos, I could name hundreds of places for this.
    I also managed to get myself in to Dublin port one day via the Alexandra road entrance and got some fantastic shots. However getting in there will be difficult as there is security.
    There are also plenty of nice points along the Liffey you will get a great photo. Usually sunset in to darkness are the best ones with the unusual colors and different lights around the place. A calm day is best for this also.
    After that outside of Dublin your next best bet for nice photos is Wicklow. All over Wicklow is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭lil_kev

It can be streets or nature it doesn't matter. Thnx :)

It can be streets or nature it doesn't matter. Thnx :)

Ok, I will go through a list of places where I have taken my best photos.

Dublin
    Temple bar makes a good photo if you can get it on a quiet day which is rare.
    Smithfield square and surrounding areas there are plenty of places
    The Christchurch area there are some nice cobble stone streets
    Around the back of the Guinness factory there are plenty of nice spots.
    Phoenix park, there is endless amounts of good photo spots.
    A lot of the side streets off Grafton street are quite nice.
    Dun Laoghaire, there are loads of spots.
    Poolbeg Lighthouse any time of the day
    Grand canal area there is loads to see there, loads of nice buildings, streets and then the marina area.
    Jameson chimney in Smithfield and inside the Jameson distillery Bow Street
    Samuel Beckett bridge with the Convention centre building behind it and the old pirate ship. Good in the day and he night. I would suggest go both times of the day.
    Seapoint beach area, best photo I reckon is in the morning time.
    Sandycove beach, best in the morning time around sunrise.
    St. Stephen's Green park

Then in Wicklow,
    Wicklow town harbor
    Wicklow town golf course, there is a walk around the perimeter that is lovely.
    Wicklow town, the black castle
    Glendalough, the round tower, grave yard and then of course the scenery
    The sally gap drive you will get great photos on a clear day
    The Guinness lake
    Bray head, nice climb with a nice view along the coast
    The Sugarloaf, view from the top is fantastic
    Powerscourt waterfall and gardens

I don't know if you live here or are travelling. If you are travelling then I would advise you do some research on all of the above and pick what you would prefer out of them all, a quick Google search will bring other peoples photos then you can see if its what you want.
    If you live here then I suggest you add all of the above to your list of places to visit.

If I have helped you, please give this post a thumbs up, I am trying to get my star rating up :) Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Genuine question, what's a 'good instagram spot' ? Do you mean just generally scenic photographic locations ? Or something more specific like a nice background for a product or portrait or something ?

I hope you are doing well. Any generally scenic photographic locations. But would like to avoid touristic places or if you know some good spots or rooftops to take different pictures of touristic places. Cheers :)

• Advertisement

As mentioned in my comment above, they are all the best I can think of that are accessible without any issues.

As an Building Services Engineer, I have been on hundreds of rooftops around Dublin. They are fantastic for getting good photos from depending on the location.
    However I have no idea how you would get up to any of them as you would need to be allowed up by security and have all the necessary safety gear (harness, proper boots, hard hat, hi-viz etc...)

It can be rooftop from any car park, cafe, restaurants etc. Cheers. :)

It can be rooftop from any car park, cafe, restaurants etc. Cheers. :)

None that I am aware of that are any good. Most car parks are underground in Dublin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

None that I am aware of that are any good. Most car parks are underground in Dublin now.

Jervis Street, ilac, Stephen's Green car parks are all over ground and the roof is accessible. Also, it could not be easier to go into the post via Alexandra Road. Just walk in.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Jervis Street, ilac, Stephen's Green car parks are all over ground and the roof is accessible. Also, it could not be easier to go into the post via Alexandra Road. Just walk in.

Yeah but there isn't much to see from the tops of those car parks as far as I can recall. I may be wrong though.
    A couple of times I tried to get in to the Port Via Alexandra rd. I got stopped at security and told not a chance of getting in.
    The day I did get in security weren't there and I just walked in but about 20 mins later a security pick up truck pulled up beside me and told me I had to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Genuine question, what's a 'good instagram spot' ? Do you mean just generally scenic photographic locations ? Or something more specific like a nice background for a product or portrait or something ?
    clearly it's scenic spots which are suited to a square format.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

clearly it's scenic spots which are suited to a square format.

Ah I see. I DO have a bunch of cool 8x10" spots and some amazing 6x4.5cm spots. Also that one weird place that works out really well in 4x4cm 127 but never made the grade in 6x6cm, that was an odd one :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

^^^ Film is so fickle! ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Also that one weird place that works out really well in 4x4cm 127 but never made the grade in 6x6cm, that was an odd one :confused:

If only there was a way to make the world bigger so it can fit the frame.

No appreciation for a long bloody list of places, a simple thanks goes very far sometimes @lil_kev.
    Sometimes I wonder why we even bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭AlphaOmega1

No appreciation for a long bloody list of places, a simple thanks goes very far sometimes @lil_kev.
    Sometimes I wonder why we even bother.

They're a bit sh*te to be fair, vague also. Here's some better ones:

-Collins Barracks, the arch going into the courtyard, when the museum is closed it's even better because there's no one around.
    - in front of the Christmas lights of brown thomas on grafton st or arnotts on Henry street
    - Big wooden door at the dame street side of Trinity college
    - main courtyard kinda area in Trinity
    - Big spinning ball outside the library in Trinity
    - Middle of O'Connell's street with either the GPO or Spire in the background
    - Nice Georgian doorways around harcourt street
    - bandstand in St Stephans green
    - Ha'penny bridge
    - Molly Malone, suffolk street
    - Gravity bar in the Guinness storehouse
    - Dame lane
    - Swing in Sophie's (the dean hotel)
    - Middle floor of st stephans green shopping centre with the big clock in the BG

They're a bit sh*te to be fair, vague also. Here's some better ones:

-Collins Barracks, the arch going into the courtyard, when the museum is closed it's even better because there's no one around.
    - in front of the Christmas lights of brown thomas on grafton st or arnotts on Henry street
    - Big wooden door at the dame street side of Trinity college
    - main courtyard kinda area in Trinity
    - Big spinning ball outside the library in Trinity
    - Middle of O'Connell's street with either the GPO or Spire in the background
    - Nice Georgian doorways around harcourt street
    - bandstand in St Stephans green
    - Ha'penny bridge
    - Molly Malone, suffolk street
    - Gravity bar in the Guinness storehouse
    - Dame lane
    - Swing in Sophie's (the dean hotel)
    - Middle floor of st stephans green shopping centre with the big clock in the BG

Vague, he asked for places to get a good photo, I gave him places to get a good photo. Look up #Dublin or something similar on Instagram, it's all the areas I mentioned that feature. Why you ask, because they obviously make the best photos.
    Oh yeah, because the spire is such a lovely monument in and it makes such an amazing photo.

My point being, a simple "thanks" goes a long way and does not cost anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Damn kids these days. :p

he asked for places to get a good photo

He asked for Instagram photo spots not just an area such as " temple bar, smithfield, christchurch". Sure thats a quarter of the city centre there and no specific spots listed. It's specific spots that are unique and make a good post he's looking for. And stop demanding thanks, grow up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It's specific spots that are unique and make a good post he's looking for. And stop demanding thanks, grow up.
    Hi guys. Do you know some good places to take pictures? Any good undiscovered gems and please exclude all touristic places. Thnx :)
    if you're going to call people out on what the OP 'specifically asked for', i suggest you revisit your suggestions as at least half are some of the most hackneyed tourist locations.

• Advertisement

if you're going to call people out on what the OP 'specifically asked for', i suggest you revisit your suggestions as at least half are some of the most hackneyed tourist locations.

Maybe 2 or 3 of them, fair point.

He asked for Instagram photo spots not just an area such as " temple bar, smithfield, christchurch". Sure thats a quarter of the city centre there and no specific spots listed. It's specific spots that are unique and make a good post he's looking for. And stop demanding thanks, grow up.

I am hardly going to say, go to Smithfield, when you get there look for a big building with a small red brick wall in front of it. Walk up the small alley way beside it, take a left, a right, another right, 3 more lefts and then you will see what I can only describe as the best "Instagram photo" you will ever take.

There are endless photo opportunities in Smithfield, I am not going to name every one of them.
    It also depends on what kind of photo locations he wants, what type of photographer he is and what he is interested in.
    I directed him to a location in Dublin I believe any type of photographer could get a nice photo and I done that multiple times in my list.
    I also gave a couple of specific things to photograph instead of just areas.

What is the harm in saying thank you. Its a thank you for taking the time to think of and write out a list of areas around Dublin for someone I do not know and do not expect to gain anything for myself from. At least have some manners and say thank you.
    "Grow up" hahahaha. Why come on here to try and start an argument for no reason. I think it might be you that needs to "Grow up".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

It's specific spots that are unique and make a good post he's looking for.

It's pretty ironic asking for directions to an exact photo location, that others have popularised, to try and get a unique shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Genuine question here but would it not have been easier to simply do an Instagram search? You have multiple hastags you could use and you get an immediate visual answer to your query.

anyway, the main palm house in the botanic gardens - especially on a frosty morning when the sun is low and the windows are covered in condensation - can be a place to get some magical light.

Advertisement