Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Issue with new bike

• 11-10-2018 7:16am

Hi folks,

I bought a new road bike about seven weeks ago and have been enjoying my cycling. I noticed a rattle on the bike about three weeks ago but assumed it was down to me putting a bracket and pump on the frame.

The rattle (like a loose stone) stayed for the next two spins and then on Sunday morning I was bombing down a hill when I noticed the back wheel starting to wobble badly to the point where I nearly came off the bike. I hopped off and one of the spokes was broken and the back wheel was badly buckled. The rattle must have been the little screw that connects the spoke to the rim hopping around in the rim. Anyway, I had to stop and get my wife to collect me.

I haven't had time to get to the bike shop yet, but would I be right in saying that they should replace the wheel for me? I think I cycled the bike about four to five times and did not have any incidents that caused the spoke to break or the screw to come loose. Any advice appreciated before I get on to the bike shop.

Regards,
    Brian.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I honestly don't see why they should. You noticed an issue, ignored it, then breaks, now you want a new one for free?

It's your error, not theirs.
    All new bikes can become loose when first riden, they generally will be looked at after a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Bring it back, the bike wasn't assembled properly and should have been checked before you got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

They should change the spoke and true it for free, I wouldn't expect a new wheel. Cannondale by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

uncle-mofo wrote: »
    They should change the spoke and true it for free, I wouldn't expect a new wheel. Cannondale by any chance?

Why would it be a Cannondale.
    Firstly, they are great bikes and secondly, do they even make wheels :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

Why would it be a Cannondale.
    Firstly, they are great bikes and secondly, do they even make wheels :confused:

Their own brand Maddux wheels seem to break spokes a lot, something with the rim/nipples where the nipple doesn't sit in line with the spoke, and the spoke leaves the nipple at an angle causing extra stress on the spoke.

Curious as my the back wheel on my Cannondale is flying through spokes and Cannondale are popular at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Most people who cycle get buckles and break spokes and have to have wheels straightened.

Only if it's happening a lot would you be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

dusty207 wrote: »
    Bring it back, the bike wasn't assembled properly and should have been checked before you got it.
    I don't see how you can say that tbh. Spokes are an item that break, particularly if you ignore the first signs, or if you hit something. They may fix it free of charge, but I wouldn't be counting on it.

Assuming it was offered (it should've been), it could've at least been identified at the 6 week check, rather than break at week 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I don't see how you can say that tbh. Spokes are an item that break, particularly if you ignore the first signs, or if you hit something. They may fix it free of charge, but I wouldn't be counting on it.

Assuming it was offered (it should've been), it could've at least been identified at the 6 week check, rather than break at week 7.

The OP has a certain mechanical knowledge in that he heard something rattling, maybe he is partially at fault here but loads of people buy bikes and couldn't identify a rattle and could have the same thing happen. It's a grey area I suppose but I think the onus would be on the shop. Fit for purpose and all that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I don't see how you can say that tbh. Spokes are an item that break
    not after five cycles on a new bike, though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If it want set up right and you hit a pothole would it matter how many cycles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

You'd be hoping there wouldn't be an issue with LBS, I'm just saying they may not necessarily see it as their issue. It could've been a number of things other than poor quality from the start, or a poor build. Pothole, damaged/ hit where ever it's stored, that the bike has fallen on something...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

RossieMan wrote: »
    I honestly don't see why they should. You noticed an issue, ignored it, then breaks, now you want a new one for free?

All new bikes can become loose when first riden, they generally will be looked at after a couple of weeks.

Calm down...The bike is more or less brand new and the bike shop should repair the spoke free of charge. Its only a spoke, Its not like he's asking for a new replacement bike. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Most manufacturers are guilty of putting crap wheels on off the shelf bikes.

A spoke coming loose after a few spins is strongly suggestive of a poorly built wheel. Well built wheels don't just have spokes come loose.

The strength and reliability of bicycle wheel is dependent on it being a properly built prestressed structure. When not properly tensioned and stressed spokes come loose. If the spoke is just replaced this wheel will probably continue to cause problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

And anyway, it only started happening yesterday, didn't it??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Calm down...The bike is more or less brand new and the bike shop should repair the spoke free of charge. Its only a spoke, Its not like he's asking for a new replacement bike.

He said the wheel was buckled?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The basic issue is that he should not have had issue with a wheel in such a short space of time outside of a bang or accident. The poster should have no hesitation returning to the store for it to be corrected.

Thanks for the advice folks. I am going to drop in and see what they say today. I am not expecting or demanding anything, just that they have a look and we can come up with a solution.

I went back over the last few weeks and have only cycled it four times, one of which was abandoned shortly after starting, so it really didn't get a lot of mileage before the problem arose and it was all cycling on good main roads.

Hopefully, they will help out as it seems a bit much for problems for problems to arise with an expensive bit of kit like that so soon after buying.

RossieMan wrote: »

Easy tiger, I am not expecting or demanding anything, just asking.

uncle-mofo wrote: »

Not a Cannondale.

Three cycles plus 10k of an abandoned one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Actually yeah. The spokes bed in and come loose on new wheels, hence the rattle.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Brian? wrote: »
    Actually yeah. The spokes bed in and come loose on new wheels, hence the rattle.

On poorly tensioned wheels they do

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Bring it back to the shop.... any reputable shop will have it sorted in a few minutes and do it F.O.C. Although, if there really good, you’ll leave the shop with your bike in perfect working order, a new lock, new lights, some winter clothing and a discount voucher for your next purchase! :)

ford2600 wrote: »
    On poorly tensioned wheels they do

Which are any wheels that aren’t hand built, high end wheels I. My experience.

Even with high end wheels I’d expect some bedding in of spokes.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

a bike, like any other product, has an implied waranty that it is of merchantable quality from the retailer. The wheel breking within 5 cycles is a breach of that warranty and the purchaser should be entitled to repair - by way of having teh wheel repaired. All imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Which are any wheels that aren’t hand built, high end wheels I. My experience.

Even with high end wheels I’d expect some bedding in of spokes.

Never heard of such a thing. It’s not strange to buy a bike and expect it’s wheels to not fall apart without user maintenance , after 3.x short spins

Budawanny wrote: »
    Never heard of such a thing. It’s not strange to buy a bike and expect it’s wheels to not fall apart without user maintenance , after 3.x short spins

The wheels didn't "fall apart". A spoke broke. Or was it more than one?

I would expect the wheels to be tensioned better. I would expect the bike shop to check for loose/improperly tensioned spokes when selling the bike. I would expect the new owner to check the spokes, handle bars, seat post etc are tight enough after the first ride, I would expect the new bike own not to react to the initial noise and not ignore it. None of this happened, which led to the situation. One correctly performed step in that chain and the issue was avoided.

I would always expect spokes to bed in.

they/them/theirs

Thanks for the advice folks. I am going to drop in and see what they say today. I am not expecting or demanding anything, just that they have a look and we can come up with a solution.

I went back over the last few weeks and have only cycled it four times, one of which was abandoned shortly after starting, so it really didn't get a lot of mileage before the problem arose and it was all cycling on good main roads.

Hopefully, they will help out as it seems a bit much for problems for problems to arise with an expensive bit of kit like that so soon after buying.

The bike shop should stand over it and repair the wheel. They should have checked it when selling the bike to you. What shop was it? How did you get on?

they/them/theirs

The bike shop should stand over it and repair the wheel. They should have checked it when selling the bike to you. What shop was it? How did you get on?

I brought the bike back to the The Edge in Cork yesterday and they agreed to repair it or replace the wheel without any fuss. The mechanic just said that the issue that arose should not have happened with a new bike and will fix/replace at no cost to me. One spoke was broken and a few more were damaged as a result of the one being undermined and the wheel buckling.

I have had several bikes in the past (though not road bikes) and I have never had any issues with spokes going like that. My suspicion is that if this were a normal occurrence they would warn you to check the tension on spokes and ensure there are no issues when selling you the bike. I just think that the bike I got came with a spoke that had not been fitted properly to the rim and was loose. Either way, I don't care as they are fixing it. One abandoned cycle, one near accident and missing out on my cycle yesterday is not the end of the world.

Thanks for the advice and help.

• Advertisement

The shop rang me today and they replaced the wheel. Very happy with their service and the decision to just replace it with no hassle.

Advertisement