Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why aren't there more strong Dublin accents in the media?

Comments

I don't know is the accent related to being unionist, they have plenty of rough accents too, but both acts combined certainly render one a cnut.

Bryan Dobson actually lives in Dolphin's Barn, where he raised his family. Certainly anything but snobs.

Jaysus, a bit more diver-settee and more Dundalk needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Because it is so grating sounding and doesn’t belong anywhere near a radio airwave.

Imagine waking up and rolling over to hear that voice

DAT WAS ALRIGH WASN IH?

Mind you, 80% of Irish media comprises of that South Dublin accent where every vowel drags on a bit too long.

A nice Galway accent or more of our soft spoken natives would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Because it is so grating sounding and doesn’t belong anywhere near a radio airwave.

DAT WAS ALRIGH WASN IH?

Mind you, 80% of Irish media comprises of that South Dublin accent where every vowel drags on a bit too long.

A nice Galway accent or more of our soft spoken natives would be welcome.

Not Cork or Kerry thou. Might as well
    be from outer Mongolia speaking Mong. Isn’t inner city Dub represented enough on Fair ****ty and almost every other Dublin based film that comes out? I’m sick of being abroad and people asking why I don’t have a ‘real’ Dublin accent ... because I’m not a skobie from the flats thats why.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If you want to hear a good example of the fake Dublin-American accent take a trip on the luas green line from the city centre to Sandyford. You hear some beauties on there.

"omg goys I forgotshhh my leap cord"

goy

noun
    INFORMAL•DEROGATORY

a Jewish name for a non-Jew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Matt Coopers "th" is shocking.

Duffy is an unashamed populist. Soon as the salt a de earth comes on hes throwing out the yiz and yer ma and all sorts of ballyfermot ****e. Some langer.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

It comes from elocution. It's not orr-chee-ee, Its ar-tee-ee. The R is pronounced with an ar sound as in the word "are", not an or sound as in the word "or".

I cant blame RTE for getting its presenters people to pronounce things correctly. It's not the way I speak but I appreciate they have to speak some way, so why not do it correctly?

The arr-tee--ee thing makes them sound like pirates

There's yer man Martin something, from the weather on tg3

Mules wrote: »
    There's yer man Martin something, from the weather on tg3

I hate that bastard

glasso wrote: »
    I hate that bastard

He's very annoying, with his happy birthdays and all the rest of it. It doesn't come across as genuine at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

De Dubs are de blacks of Oireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

De Dubs are de blacks of Oireland.

They are represented in the media, in TV shows like Love Hate and Irish crime films like the Guard. They are over represented actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

BBC:

"So, that's a baaaat a wrap.....over to you Vickie for da wevva"

Vickie:

"Sorted and cheers, Trev. So yeah..spotta rain creepin in, innit? Nevva mind, blindin tomorra. Strictly, up next. See ya now, roight (wink).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

chrissb8 wrote: »

DAT WAS ALRIGH WASN IH?

I'd rather listen to two sheets of rusty corrugated iron scraping off each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    They are represented in the media, in TV shows like Love Hate and Irish crime films like the Guard. They are over represented actually.

The Guard was set in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Its terrible the way they are treated as criminals especially when the crime is committed by people from "another area"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

KaneToad wrote: »
    What's a 'posh' accent?

Ah there's posh accents in every county. They generally sound as silly as the English post accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,921 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Ah there's posh accents in every county. They generally sound as silly as the English post accents.

Well that's ridiculous. I'm from the Midlands and if you pronounce 'th' in words you end up sounding posh according to the lacals. Nothing silly about it. Likewise if you don't elongate vowels in unusual places in words, or pronounce the g ant the end of 'ing' words, you stand out as posh

I love ascents. I love my own accent and I love the accents of the counties around where I'm from. They're full of character

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

don't know if he still on the radio, but this thread reminded me of :

"I'M MOY-CHEALL MCMULLAN"

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

The Guard was set in Galway.

Many characters had thick strong dub accents

• Advertisement

Well that's ridiculous. I'm from the Midlands and if you pronounce 'th' in words you end up sounding posh according to the lacals. Nothing silly about it. Likewise if you don't elongate vowels in unusual places in words, or pronounce the g ant the end of 'ing' words, you stand out as posh

I love ascents. I love my own accent and I love the accents of the counties around where I'm from. They're full of character

Ah that's not what I mean by posh. There's a variety of posh such as the D4 accent which is horrendous. It sounds backward rather than classy. In fairness I only know Mullingar and I agree with you.

In terms of thick Dublin accents we have the Snapper, the Van and best of all the Commitments. Possibly some of the best things to come out of Ireland let alone Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

In terms of thick Dublin accents we have the Snapper, the Van and best of all the Commitments. Possibly some of the best things to come out of Ireland let alone Dublin.

I wouldn't call those examples of thick Dublin accents really.

imme wrote: »
    I wouldn't call those examples of thick Dublin accents really.

I would and I'm from an area with thick Dublin accents. Where are you from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I would and I'm from an area with thick Dublin accents. Where are you from?

White Irish :D

The Snapper and The Van stick out to me because they feature Dubliners using their own accents for the part, whereas something like Fair City features putting on accents.

Not Cork or Kerry thou. Might as well
    be from outer Mongolia speaking Mong. Isn’t inner city Dub represented enough on Fair ****ty and almost every other Dublin based film that comes out? I’m sick of being abroad and people asking why I don’t have a ‘real’ Dublin accent ... because I’m not a skobie from the flats thats why.

I hate being called "posh" by folk with strong working class Dublin accents, I would regard myself very middling, wouldn't mind having "posh money" though

imme wrote: »
    White Irish :D

The Snapper and The Van stick out to me because they feature Dubliners using their own accents for the part, whereas something like Fair City features putting on accents.

Fair City actors aren't convincing as humans let alone Dubliners.

I hate being called "posh" by folk with strong working class Dublin accents, I would regard myself very middling, wouldn't mind having "posh money" though

I can't win really. I'm from Kimmage and had a stronger Dublin accent. When I got my PhD and travelled to a conference in UCD I remember a girl from a private school in Greystones referring to me as posh. It's all quite ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Michelle Dillon, the metrologist who does the weather on rte, has a nice soft west of Ireland accent. Sounds educated yet affable but without any silly affectation.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

if only everyone sounded like Sarah McInerney , even the men

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement