Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a Laptop in the USA

• 10-08-2003 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Hi i'm off to the states soon, want to pick up a laptop while i'm over anyone know where they're going for a good price,

i found www.compusa.com anyone got any more?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭HappyDude

try the following sites:
    http://www.gateway.com

http://www.outpost.com

I highly recommend outpost - great selection, at good prices. Remember to leave all the packaging on your laptop, and declare it at customs on your way home!! (if you are so inclined!)

HD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

What would the advantage be by declaring it in customs other than beeing honest, in this case i just dont see honesty paying off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

The benefit of declaring your laptop in the box is that you can claim the sales tax back since you are not a resident of the state!
    This can be substantial.
    Also check out stores, not just online deals, you can find some great deals in stores over there, especially for laptops which are nearing the end of their display life. I'm currently typing this on a HP laptop which I bought last year for $1100 - the specs are athlonXP 1800+,512mb RAM, 30gb hdd, DVD/CD-RW, 32mb graphics, 15.1" screen. Not a bad deal really.
    And haggle, if its a display model, the store will want o get rid of it, i knocked $150 dollars off the display price!
    Two caveats:
    1. display models may not come with the same warranty, make sure the terms are clear
    2. the keyboard will be US so if you're a touchtypist, things will start to look a bit weird! But you'll get used to it

Good luck, and have a great trip

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭muffinhead

has anyone bought a laptop from the USA (over the internet) and used it in Ireland? What is the deal with the power supply & warranty?

Advertisement