Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB/CC cream vs make up routine?

• 09-07-2020 3:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Let me just address the elephant in the room.

Yes I'm a dude.
    Yes I wear makeup.
    And yes I am strictly into women.

As I understand it, if you're in a hurry, BB/CC creams (applied with a brush?) can provide a nice degree of coverage but in less time.

Does anyone have an opinion on this matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

I've worn BB/CC Creams as "full make up" on nights out.

I don't like full coverage foundation, it feels to heavy for me. If I can't see my freckles through the make up its too heavy is my rule of thumb.

If using BB/CC cream I treat it the same and apply it the same way as foundation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

When it comes to choosing one ^^^, any specific recommendations or is it a case of trying until something fits?

https://www.elle.com/beauty/makeup-skin-care/tips/g8056/best-bb-creams/

Recommendation is brush application it seems with some light concealer and setting powder (are setting powders fairly consistent with one another?)

Are pharmacy BB/CC creams adequate?

I did some pricing in BT and, think it was like, tinted moisturizer - came in about 40 euro's.

Then one recommended CC cream on that link list is like, 6 euros.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

What are you trying to achieve with the BB/CC cream? If it's to cover small redness or blemishes, I would say try a concealer instead. Reason being, even if it's light coverage, a foundation type product will cover your natural tones and can look very obvious, it can take away the natural contours of your face. Most women would add this back or enhance with blush, contour cream/powder, highlighter etc.

If you get a very good colour match, you could spot apply a BB/CC cream (or maybe light mineral powder foundation) to areas that you need it, but would need to blend well. Personally, I like to use a brush, Real Techniques makes very good brushes for a good price, can get them in Boots. For powders, Rimmel is a solid cheap brand, you're looking for shade Translucent, and will need a powder brush to apply.

I used to love MAC BB cream but they discontinued my colour (rage!), but there might be a shade to suit you.

Twee. wrote: »
    What are you trying to achieve with the BB/CC cream? If it's to cover small redness or blemishes, I would say try a concealer instead. Reason being, even if it's light coverage, a foundation type product will cover your natural tones and can look very obvious, it can take away the natural contours of your face. Most women would add this back or enhance with blush, contour cream/powder, highlighter etc.

If you get a very good colour match, you could spot apply a BB/CC cream (or maybe light mineral powder foundation) to areas that you need it, but would need to blend well. Personally, I like to use a brush, Real Techniques makes very good brushes for a good price, can get them in Boots. For powders, Rimmel is a solid cheap brand, you're looking for shade Translucent, and will need a powder brush to apply.

I used to love MAC BB cream but they discontinued my colour (rage!), but there might be a shade to suit you.

Won't a powder foundation require primer?

Purpose with BB/CC cream is time saving, mostly.

The one recommended currently seems to be "Olay Total Effects 7" (though I'm open to suggestion), 1 shade only - don't know how that works.

I've used a variety Garnier is about €14, worked well.

I've used an Olay one but can't remember which of the range it was, I found it a bit heavier so mixed it with moisturiser to thin it out. Currently I have one of the CC creams from the IT range, this was a bit more expensive but I was on holidays and treated myself from Sephora.

If its just day wear I would literally just bang on the cream and leave it. If I'm going out I'll bother with primer, concealer and powder. Depends really on the look you and wear and tear on it

• Advertisement

Won't a powder foundation require primer?

The one recommended currently seems to be "Olay Total Effects 7" (though I'm open to suggestion), 1 shade only - don't know how that works.

I don't really get you when you say time saving, what were you using before that was taking up too much time?

I don't really get you when you say time saving, what were you using before that was taking up too much time?

Usual, primer, foundation, concealer, setting powder - all effectively micro amounts compared to female routine, just for small coverage and improved appearance.

From what I understand now it's possible to use a CC cream well blended to, "save time".

Ah ok, I get you. Personally I don't think it would save me much time at all just using CC cream, I'd still likely powder over it and may need to conceal as well if I have bad redness or a spot that day. I suppose you'll need to test it out and see if you can get the desired effect with just the one product. If I was to just pick one product for myself, I'd probably go with a concealer.

A CC cream is generally a lighter coverage than foundation, so it won't give you the same finished look as a combination of what you mentioned. Your mileage may vary but that'd be my experience.

If you want to drop a step, maybe try a setting spray instead of powder. 2-3 spritzes over your face and you're done, no brushes or blending needed, or use a moisturiser that works as a primer as well, so you don't need both.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Usual, primer, foundation, concealer, setting powder - all effectively micro amounts compared to female routine, just for small coverage and improved appearance.

From what I understand now it's possible to use a CC cream well blended to, "save time".

It will take you the same amount of time for it to look ok.

BB /CC creams don't make any difference in how long it takes you..that is your dependent on your preferred result.

No no. They are just more moisturizing.

The only diff between a BB cream and foundation is that it's better (supposedly for your skin).

BB creams are more for dry skin. They sometimes have other added beneficial ingredients.

CC creams are more for oily skin/acne prone skin. CC is short for colour correcting ...meaning it covers up the red pimples on oily skin.

Neither of them are 'faster' per say than foundation.

You apply it exactly how you would foundation..or to your desired look.

I hate powder i find it drying and i don't like the feel ...but if you use it with foundation ..its likely you will have to with BB or CC cream too.

I hate powder i find it drying and i don't like the feel ...but if you use it with foundation ..its likely you will have to with BB or CC cream too.

What then - setting spray?

A sales person recommended spray she used but I thought it made her look shiny.

I think "matt" finish is the alternate?

I'd go for that.

• Advertisement

What then - setting spray?

Nothing.

But that works for me ...you have to find what works for you ..its an art not a science ;)

If i wear foundation ..i don't wear it all over my face tho...just wear i need it ..and not much ...concealer in the worst places only any trouble spots have a lil make up on them ..and if i have a really bad spot or something i just leave it be

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Ah ok, I get you. Personally I don't think it would save me much time at all just using CC cream, I'd still likely powder over it and may need to conceal as well if I have bad redness or a spot that day. I suppose you'll need to test it out and see if you can get the desired effect with just the one product. If I was to just pick one product for myself, I'd probably go with a concealer.

A CC cream is generally a lighter coverage than foundation, so it won't give you the same finished look as a combination of what you mentioned. Your mileage may vary but that'd be my experience.

If you want to drop a step, maybe try a setting spray instead of powder. 2-3 spritzes over your face and you're done, no brushes or blending needed, or use a moisturiser that works as a primer as well, so you don't need both.

I'd agree with this. I've recently started using a BB cream as an occasional alternative to foundation. For me, I'm using it because I'm working from home, so don't want to be wasting my expensive make up sitting on my own in a room for 8 hours, but I spend a lot of time of video calls, so I'd like some coverage.

I wouldn't describe it as a time-saver though. I apply with my fingers and am less careful than with foundation, but I'd still use concealer around my eyes, powder and a bit of bronzer.

Other times, I just use concealer, powder and bronzer.

In many ways, the BB cream feels like the worst of both worlds to me. It takes longer than just concealer, powder and bronzer, but don't give as nice a finish as using foundation.

No contouring?

Is that brush then confined exclusively to CC cream application?

As in, you wouldn't go using it after for powder application?

I assume one could just get brushes cheap in Primark/Eurogiant...

No contouring?

Not every person does every single step.
    Is that brush then confined exclusively to CC cream application?

As in, you wouldn't go using it after for powder application?

I assume one could just get brushes cheap in Primark/Eurogiant...

You would use separate brushes as the powder would mix with the left over cream product and make for a very gunky brush.

I haven't used brushes from those shops so can't comment, but you need a foundation brush (different types available) and a powder brush, they'll likely be labelled as such. If you scale up a little bit to say Real Techniques, Blank Canvas or Eco Tools you get a better quality brush that won't lose hairs and will last ages if you look after it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Perhaps a useful question is, what’s your aim here? Is it a very natural daytime look, a more ‘done’ daytime look, a nighttime look, an obvious make up look (drag etc)? Is it a daily thing or occasional? Are you willing to spend money on high quality products for a better finish, or would you rather spend on the lower end of the scale?

It’s very hard to advise without knowing that. Contouring, for example, is quite a skill and is very time-consuming comparatively. I’d hazard a guess that most make-up wearers wouldn’t contour for everyday makeup (although I could be wrong).

What’s the rest of your routine normally like?

If I’m trying to save time, I remove products from the list. Whether you’re using foundation, bb/cc cream or tinted moisturizer, you’d be best off really learning how to apply it well rather than aiming for speed at the beginning.

Faith wrote: »
    Perhaps a useful question is, what’s your aim here? Is it a very natural daytime look, a more ‘done’ daytime look, a nighttime look, an obvious make up look (drag etc)? Is it a daily thing or occasional? Are you willing to spend money on high quality products for a better finish, or would you rather spend on the lower end of the scale?

It’s very hard to advise without knowing that. Contouring, for example, is quite a skill and is very time-consuming comparatively. I’d hazard a guess that most make-up wearers wouldn’t contour for everyday makeup (although I could be wrong).

What’s the rest of your routine normally like?

If I’m trying to save time, I remove products from the list. Whether you’re using foundation, bb/cc cream or tinted moisturizer, you’d be best off really learning how to apply it well rather than aiming for speed at the beginning.

Aim?

Become competent at makeup application to attain the desired appearance depending on the time in question.

It's always going to be discreet, not overdone, never obvious (and never "drag").

Be able to cater to the occasion, basically.

High end or low cost products, very much at the start of the learning curve so, I guess starting low end.

I think basic steps of coverage are straight forward enough, maybe a little playing around with degree of application to ensue subtlety, and getting the right application method - brush, sponge, fingers, getting a feel for that etc.
    And the right products at right time, setting powder vs spray - CC cream vs foundation.

I'll get a cheap brush set and sure I will have that figured out quick enough.

Other routine is basic skin care - exfoliate, occasionally tone and moisturize with either cream or serum.
    I tried different skin cares and keeping it basic works best for me.
    (I also shoot botox into emerging forehead creases vs tretinoin or anti-wrinkle creams as they were so slow and comparatively ineffective).

I watched some before/after contouring vids and difference can be quite dramatic.
    It's all learning, right?
    So yes I'm prepared to invest the time to learn correctly for optimal outcome.

Maybe a basic contour pallet recommendation that I can start off with?

But given colours, positioning etc, thus far contouring strikes me as probably the trickiest part to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I personally dont like BB/CC creams, I feel like I get much better coverage and natural results with a decent light foundation but I have allot of redness in my skin.
    It really depends on you what you want to achieve with your makeup.

Are you adding glow, tint, tan, evening skin tone, covering redness/blemishes.

I also prefer to use my fingers as I think brushes leave lines on the face and dont always buff the makeup in properly, no matter how much I buff my makeup it remains sticky and wont set. I use a brush after ive blended my makeup with my fingers, the brush takes away excess and leaves a nice finish but each to their own.

I love a very natural look, most of the time I look like im not wearing any foundation, if youre interested in product recommendations try Charlotte Tilbury Light wonder foundation, Bourjois healthy mix serum foundation and Mac face and body.
    Id also suggest buying a real techniques miracle complexion sponge, you can buy them in most chemists and department stores, Boots sell them for about 8 euro but you can get them cheaper elsewhere.
    Real techniques brushes are also brilliant, you can buy brush sets cheap enough.

I was under the impression (knowing little to basically squat about foundation) that one selected one to match their complexion/colour;

I wasn't aware there were lighter and darker foundations but, yeah, light in my case is obviously the one to go for.

I see some dudes behind the counters and, supposedly they're the experts but I honestly don't think their makeup is discreet or quite frankly, particularly well done - simply cause it's too obvious.

The appearance where it's hardly noticeable as in, are they even wearing makeup?

But their skin looks perfect (see this on chicks in department stores etc).

I got one gal to do the primer, foundation, concealer, powder routine and, I hardly noticed it myself;

Now that was a makeup artist so probably gonna take a while for me to get that down myself.

Charlotte Tilbury Light wonder foundation,
    Bourjois healthy mix serum foundation and
    Mac face and body

Duly noted.

Primers - I was recommended a translucent silicone primer, sound about right?
    Is primer a big consideration or just fairly generic one size fits all?

No contouring?

I don't contour ..i don't like the look. But that is just me.

• Advertisement

Primer can depend on your skin type, dry, oily etc. It can also illuminate the skin beneath the foundation or cream used.

In terms of foundation, you will need to colour match, to what is your own choice, some people match to their necks, other their chest, others to their tan. From there you choose coverage from light to full, again its a preference for most or some would lean towards full coverage to hide marks or to last a full night out. Each foundation also has a different finish, matte, dewy etc.

If you're looking at buying any of the more expensive ones, definitely get testers first and try them yourself in daylight or night depending on when you'd want to wear it as make up plays differently depending on the setting.

Just lastly on the brushes, these can make or break depending on how you like to apply. I'm not a big fan of the Penneys brushes where as others swear by them. Before investing in more expensive brushes there are good sets online. I have a vast range of brushes from expensive to cheap and have my own preferences for different things.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jessup-Professional-Foundation-eyelashes-Natural-Synthetic/dp/B076DSC9JS/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=jessup&qid=1594895516&sr=8-5

I find these Jessup brushes on Amazon brilliant starting point, you can get every brush you need to start for the price of 1 of the more expensive brands

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I was under the impression (knowing little to basically squat about foundation) that one selected one to match their complexion/colour;

I wasn't aware there were lighter and darker foundations but, yeah, light in my case is obviously the one to go for.

I see some dudes behind the counters and, supposedly they're the experts but I honestly don't think their makeup is discreet or quite frankly, particularly well done - simply cause it's too obvious.

The appearance where it's hardly noticeable as in, are they even wearing makeup?

But their skin looks perfect (see this on chicks in department stores etc).

I got one gal to do the primer, foundation, concealer, powder routine and, I hardly noticed it myself;

Now that was a makeup artist so probably gonna take a while for me to get that down myself.

Charlotte Tilbury Light wonder foundation,
    Bourjois healthy mix serum foundation and
    Mac face and body

Duly noted.

I mean light as in light coverage rather than a medium or full coverage which would be more noticeable on the skin. Foundations come in different consistencies. You should always try and match your foundation to your skin tone, best place to match it to is your jaw/lower cheek.

Primers arent really generic, you can get primers that colour correct, add glow underneath your makeup, fill fine lines and pores to make them less noticeable, add hydration and keep your makeup lasting longer. Again it depends on what your needs are.
    Id recommend Smashbox but Rimmel do some very good ones and theyre much cheaper.

I mean light as in light coverage rather than a medium or full coverage which would be more noticeable on the skin. Foundations come in different consistencies. You should always try and match your foundation to your skin tone, best place to match it to is your jaw/lower cheek.

Primers arent really generic, you can get primers that colour correct, add glow underneath your makeup, fill fine lines and pores to make them less noticeable, add hydration and keep your makeup lasting longer. Again it depends on what your needs are.
    Id recommend Smashbox but Rimmel do some very good ones and theyre much cheaper.

Last two posts:
    - Foundation to skin-colour match
    - But also coverage match, i.e. light, medium, full coverage?
    - Finish being matt or dewy (I'd be doing with matt for maximum discretion)

And then primer:
    - tend to ones specific requirements also.

I gotta be honest, I look down a makeup aisle and, well, it's intimidating.

You got rows and shelves with what seems like hundreds of specific products, not to mention, let's face it - I'm a dude.

Browsing makeup whilst certainly acceptable, is less conventional for my demographic.
    Maybe I'll get over that with time;

Point being, my aim here is to establish as precise idea of what I want and need, before I go in store.

So primer.

Not just generic...

Foundation I've got it - colour match, and to stay as discreet as possible, light coverage foundation, cool. I can now go foundation shopping without fear.

Primer - yeah filling in some fine lines, concealing pores, a little colour correcting maybe (little redness I'd like to iron out),

Aaaaand.....

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Like others have said, BB/CC creams don't necessarily take less time but rather give a different coverage and skincare benefits to foundation.

I love the IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC Cream. It can be a full coverage option but you can also apply it lightly. It's what I've been wearing for the past year or so. I don't use a primer at all with it - just make sure to moisturise before it. I use a small bit of undereye concealer & powder then on my t-zone.

As for brushes - I found cheap ones not very good and also that they can make some of the foundations look cakey. I use a beauty sponge instead as I find it gives a nicer finish. The SoSu one is in chemists & only €6 so not mad expensive.

Just to note quickly that the Bourjois Healthy mix is lovely but Bourjois have exited the Irish & UK market so may be difficult to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

I don’t blame you for being confused OP, if you look at the beauty reviews thread you will see posts raving about certain beauty products and then others saying the same product doesn’t work for them.

Could I suggest that you watch some “No makeup makeup” videos on YouTube? They cover how to put on make up to enhance you features without looking like you are actually wearing any. It would probably give you a good idea of the types of products and application process to achieve a very natural look.

Primer: mattify and blur pores

Bronzer, blusher, highlighter, lip liner;

Do some men actually wear all this hoopla?

Watched the no-makeup thing; highlighter and primer seems to be the go to's.

Need to know what kind of primer would suit be best.

And get a color match on foundation then determine foundation strength.

A lip liner under lanolips,

And apparently a highlighter/contouring - everything after that is still a mystery to me.

I check out a few tutorials but they make my brain hurt.

If anyone knows a good one.... I'm all eyes.

The thing is, you don't have to wear everything, or you can do it sometimes and not others. Some days I only wear concealer and fill in my brows. You need to experiment with application. So, some men do, some men don't. It's not one size fits all.

I think lipliner could look quite feminine, if you want a more subtle look maybe try a lip balm with a light tint? (You mentioned being discreet)

I like the Flormar primer, it does the job for a cheap product. L'Oreal Paris also do decent primers.

Charlotte Tilbury has a video geared to men, for a fresh faced, "you on a great day" look https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwHj76DU8Ec. Fenty too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ5mSZWDQDQ

You should look after skin too, it'll help makeup sit better and look more radiant, healthy, bright. And don't forget the SPF!

I said I'd conduct further "research" on websites before an instore visit so, just to check something potentially obvious;

Foundation coverages,

- Sheers
    - light
    - medium
    - full

If I'm going for discretion and NOT that heavy obvious make up look, glass skin, whatever you want to call it - am I correct in assuming I should steer clear of the full coverage brands?

As in, they tend to be more obvious?

And in finishes we got,

- Matt
    - Natural
    - Satin
    - ....silk/velvet/wut?

Top brands vs brands like No 7 and Maybelline, prices difference is steep so, I'm gonna start with more wallet friendly drug store brands to get into the swing of things.

I've been using the CC/BB creams.
    They're fine, but just gonna play around with the more conventional option so draw comparisons.

Primer - again, glass/perfect skin finish.

Looking to fill pores and fine lines, I have slight redness, but green color corrector is too much for it.

Keeping it under 20 - 25 euro.

L'Oreo and some other recommendations already but, in terms of finish etc of primer I'd be looking for?

• Advertisement

Aaaand recommended contour pallet?

E.L.F. pallet was recommended on several vids but, doesn't seem available in Ireland.
    Has highlighting and contour shades all in 1.

Advertisement