Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Triax TSC114 - anyone got their hands on one yet?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

Call round my parents at the weekend and noticed certain channels weren't working on the Triax box.
    From what I noticed BBC3 & 4 and Showcase were blank.

Do I need to to retune the channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

IsMiseJoe wrote: »

Probably, when was it last retuned?

http://www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-28A-and-Astra-1N-2A-2F.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Call round my parents at the weekend and noticed certain channels weren't working on the Triax box.

those channels start broadcasting at 7.00 pm, its a blank screen before that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

The Cush wrote: »

When it was set-up around this time last year. So I probably just need to re scan all the channels?

When it was set-up around this time last year. So I probably just need to re scan all the channels?

Yes, I think all of the channels you mention have moved transponders in the last year or so, there may be some new transponder/frequencies also which you'll find in the Lyngsat link I posted above.

• Advertisement

sometimes a programme starts 5 min late but the EPG records at the advertised time hence you miss the last 5 min of the programme...is there anyway of avoiding this??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

fryup wrote: »
    sometimes a programme starts 5 min late but the EPG records at the advertised time hence you miss the last 5 min of the programme...is there anyway of avoiding this??

I get around it by setting the timer to start 5 minutes before and finish 15 minutes after. Not ideal but works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Overall I like this box,despite no series link.
    At least you can order sat channels and terrestrial anywhere you want together on your own epg.
    I chiefly use the timer for recording stuff.

One issue on playback though.
    If you have it set to record at the same time as you are viewing a recording,it stops your viewing and curiously goes to the last terrestrial channel you watched if its a sat channel you are recording.

Why does it stop playback,that seems silly,especially since you can go back and watch it again while the recording is ongoing.
    It forces you to do that,why?
    Its a pita because you also then have to fast forward to where you left off ,it doesn't remember.

fryup wrote: »
    touts wrote: »
    I get around it by setting the timer to start 5 minutes before and finish 15 minutes after. Not ideal but works.

but that defeats the whole purpose of EPG, i thought EPG was to make recording as easy as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Hiya, occasionally I bring my TSC114 to another house and have to tune it in to the local mast for the Saorview channels. This then requires me to re-tune and re-order everything when I get home. Is it possible just to save a channel configuration for each location - and then just load the appropriate one as needed?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

kelbal wrote: »
    Hiya, occasionally I bring my TSC114 to another house and have to tune it in to the local mast for the Saorview channels. This then requires me to re-tune and re-order everything when I get home. Is it possible just to save a channel configuration for each location - and then just load the appropriate one as needed?

thanks

this should help you http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=awFkDEqeyP8

just save a backup channel list for each location to a usb drive

sky23 wrote: »
    this should help you http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=awFkDEqeyP8

just save a backup channel list for each location to a usb drive

perfect, thanks a mil

kelbal wrote: »
    occasionally I bring my TSC114 to another house and have to tune it in to the local mast for the Saorview channels. This then requires me to re-tune and re-order everything when I get home. Is it possible just to save a channel configuration for each location - and then just load the appropriate one as needed?

You say you have to retune and reorder everything when you get home, does this include the satellite channels? If so is it not possible to just retune the Saorview channels separately?

On 2 non-Saorview Sony TVs I own I can receive the Saorview signal from a second transmitter occasionally. If I manually tune in that particular frequency the TVs will allow me to store these channels one at a time to any position I choose e.g. Mullaghanish 1-8, Woodcock Hill 9-16.

I'm not sure if it's possible to do this with the TSC114.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

You say you have to retune and reorder everything when you get home, does this include the satellite channels? If so is it not possible to just retune the Saorview channels separately?

On 2 non-Saorview Sony TVs I own I can receive the Saorview signal from a second transmitter occasionally. If I manually tune in that particular frequency the TVs will allow me to store these channels one at a time to any position I choose e.g. Mullaghanish 1-8, Woodcock Hill 9-16.

I'm not sure if it's possible to do this with the TSC114.
    It is,in pretty much the same process as with your Sony.
    You just store the other tx on different terrestrial numbers and in the case of the last poster,watch the ones that work in each location.
    Series link isn't affected as this box doesn't have it.
    If you have manually set the terrestrial epg to record something and before it does,you move to the other location, then obviously you will have to reset the recording,if you are remaining there.

Satellite is unaffected as you can retune terrestrial independently.

Yeah, I think the satellite may have been unaffected alright, I was just looking for a quick option to reload the previous config and not have any retuning/reordering to do at all

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

I have one of these boxes. It has two tuners: a DTT, & a Satellite tuner. One is supposed to be able to record DTT (eg RTE 1 on Saorview) & watch on Satellite

(eg: C4) simultaneously, or alternatively watch Satellite & record DTT. Yesterday, I set the box using the EPG to record RTE1 & 8pm using the boxes own PVR

feature using a 16Gb USB key. The box was selected to view C4 on satellite. I've my HDD recorder unit linked to the TSC114 using its VCR scart connection.

This I set to commence recording at 8pm also with the intention of recording C4 (which the box was supposedly viewing). Upon checking progress at 8:30, I

found that the box was recording RTE1 on Saorview as intended but the channel the box was veiwing had switched from C4 to RTE1 - so much for being

supposed to be able to record terrestial & watch satellite simultaneously! The HDD recorder was also viewing RTE 1 not C4!

I find the recorder features of the TSC 114 very basic & somewhat unpredictable in operation. Setting up is far too convoluted. With a 'normal' recorder (eg VCR

etc) one just sets the time & channel & puts the unit into standby. When the record time is arrived at the unit comes to life & commences recording the desired

channel. With the 114 however, one has to set tell the unit to come on, then select the channel, & then tell it to record as three separate operations each with its

own time setting - all very convoluted & error prone. The time setting feature is also very primitive.

if I want to record something I just go into the EPG, highlight the program I want, and hit the green button twice - then turn the box off, it will record automatically. No messing around with timers, nice and easy.

Oh you can turn the box off? I thought one had to leave it on for it to record from EPG :P

larchill wrote: »
    Oh you can turn the box off? I thought one had to leave it on for it to record from EPG :P

its a while since I've done it, but pretty sure you can power it off, and it will come to life for the program

you can put it on standby. it will come on itself to record and will go back on standby when finished

• Advertisement

you can put it on standby. it will come on itself to record and will go back on standby when finished

yeah, standby, thats what I meant :o

This I set to commence recording at 8pm also with the intention of recording C4 (which the box was supposedly viewing). Upon checking progress at 8:30, I

found that the box was recording RTE1 on Saorview as intended but the channel the box was veiwing had switched from C4 to RTE1 - so much for being

supposed to be able to record terrestial & watch satellite simultaneously! The HDD recorder was also viewing RTE 1 not C4!

I find the recorder features of the TSC 114 very basic & somewhat unpredictable in operation. Setting up is far too convoluted. With a 'normal' recorder (eg VCR

yeah it does but for some reason if you have it on another channel it will stwich to the one its recording so you will have to change channel back manually to what channel you had on and it will stay recording the other channel ok. stupid i know!

yeah it does but for some reason if you have it on another channel it will stwich to the one its recording so you will have to change channel back manually to what channel you had on and it will stay recording the other channel ok. stupid i know!

Ah, so you found that too! Yes stupid indeed. Thanks for the verification :)

I have one of these boxes. It has two tuners: a DTT, & a Satellite tuner. One is supposed to be able to record DTT (eg RTE 1 on Saorview) & watch on Satellite

(eg: C4) simultaneously, or alternatively watch Satellite & record DTT. Yesterday, I set the box using the EPG to record RTE1 & 8pm using the boxes own PVR

feature using a 16Gb USB key. The box was selected to view C4 on satellite. I've my HDD recorder unit linked to the TSC114 using its VCR scart connection.

etc) one just sets the time & channel & puts the unit into standby. When the record time is arrived at the unit comes to life & commences recording the desired

channel. With the 114 however, one has to set tell the unit to come on, then select the channel, & then tell it to record as three separate operations each with its

own time setting - all very convoluted & error prone. The time setting feature is also very primitive.

Need to correct/update some of what I stated above. Did some experimenting yesterday evening:

- Unit is veiwing RTE1. Set TV3 to record @ 7 30pm using the EPG. Put unit in standby. Emerges from standby & recording commences @ 7 30 - stays

viewing RTE1.

- Unit viewing CH4 (on satellite), Set record for RTE2 @ 8 via EPG. Put into standby. Comes out of standby @ 8 & commenses recording RTE2. Viewing has

switches from viewing CH4 to viewing RTE2!

- Set CH4 to record using timer set to RECORD. Enter a start time of 8 30, & a duration of 00:30 (30min). Place in standby. Emerges from standby @ 8 30 &

commenses recording!

So it seems I need to retract some of what I stated above! Unit behaves more like a PVR than I expected.. However when the viewing & record channels are on

on differing tuners, ie view Saorview & record on satellite (or view satellite & record on Saorview) the unit switches to viewing the recording channel!

Take note all ye TSC114ers!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Hi guys,

I have one of these tuners and so far so good.

I have one question, when scrolling up (not down) it skips some channels . Is this a remote control problem and can it be fixed?

Thanks

^^^^^^^^^^^

never came across that myself, is there any channels in particular its skipping? some channels are blank (no longer transmitting)

Hi fryup,

No channels in particular. It's like a bounce, if you're not watching the channel name you wouldn't notice that one's been skipped. I thought this may have been a problem with the triax box.

Thanks J

the remote on the triax box is a tad tempermental, its either too slow or too sensitive

Yea, that's what I thought.

Thanks for your reply.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

philstar wrote: »
    Keep getting a message when recording to my usb key

says device not fast enough

is there a fix for this???
    inc21 wrote: »
    Your USB is too slow. Use USB 3.0 stick or compatible hard drive. But just in case get 320GB not bigger.

did what you said, fine for first few weeks

but now that too slow message has returned :(

Advertisement