Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Work issue

Options
  • 16-12-2018 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi there ,

I posted this I’d personal issues but I just found this forum and think it might be more suited here. I would appreciate objective advice.

I have been struggling in my role at work. There has been change in the company I work in the past12 months - my teams workload has been increasing and there is uncertainty around different aspects of our role. It’s hard to explain but it’s just a real mess at the moment.

I thought it would get sorted after the summer but it’s dragging on. It’s really affecting me and the team. My own experience has been that I’m constantly under stress, my motivation is really low, my mental health has been suffering because I feel under so much constant pressure from clients and also other parts of the business.

I recently had to start taking antidepressant medication because I felt so burnt out. I’ve also sought counseling.

About 6 weeks ago I went to my boss and explained that I felt I couldn’t continue in my role as it was affecting me hugely and I need a change. I ecxplained I was willing to go to HR because I understood the constraints in our department and that my boss is dealing with similar uncertainly.

It was explained to me that if I went to HR - it’s likely that the issue would be directed to management so my boss came back to me with a solution- to move some of my work to other team members. I thought this was ridiculous. I was really upset at the time because my team have been really good to me and I don’t think it’s fair that they get my work but I have been so unwell and this was literally the only solution presented to me.

I let it happen - I didn’t speak to the team about it because I really didn’t want to get into personal issues with them so I let my boss deal with it. He made a mess of doing it ... which left them really angry and upset. I am in the process of giving them the work and they are really upset and it’s put a divide in the team. I am trying to be professional but it’s breaking my heart but if I try keep the work I will be back to square one next week, feeling extremely pressurized and getting depressed.

I just wanted to get others opinions or some suggestions about what i could do i this situation.

I quite like my team however they have stopped trusting me because they think I’m dumping work on them when they are overloaded . I don’t want to speak to them about my personal life to explain because I don’t think that’s fair.

Any ideas on what to do would be welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Look for a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Jesus Christ.
    I’m constantly under stress
    my motivation is really low
    my mental health has been suffering
    I feel under so much constant pressure
    I recently had to start taking antidepressant medication because I felt so burnt out
    I’ve also sought counseling

Unless you're in some sort of senior management role making well over 100k per year, and money and power are the most important things to you, you need to leave this job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

You say that the solution presented was unreasonable, but did you have a better solution to suggest?

If you are having mental health issues, it’s not your bosses place to tell your colleagues (in fact it may be illegal).

The work needed to be done and your boss knew the only way was for the work to be re-allocated.

If I was your colleagues, I probably would also feel it was unfair that I was having to pick up your slack, regardless of WHY you cant do it.

If you think telling your colleagues will make them more understanding then by all means tell them.

But as others have said, I think you should get a new job and allow your company to hire someone able to do the job without assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

- short term, is reducing the hours an option ?

- or would a longer sick leave help - sounds that you need more time to bring yourself back together, at least next while.

- alternatively, longer term, it seems you may want to look for other place to work. but it may be easier said than done.

good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Anonymouspink

I will figure it out. Thanks for responses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Anonymouspink

Wondering if this thread could be deleted please

quote="Anonymouspink;108896753"]Hi there ,

I posted this I’d personal issues but I just found this forum and think it might be more suited here. I would appreciate objective advice.

I have been struggling in my role at work. There has been change in the company I work in the past12 months - my teams workload has been increasing and there is uncertainty around different aspects of our role. It’s hard to explain but it’s just a real mess at the moment.

I thought it would get sorted after the summer but it’s dragging on. It’s really affecting me and the team. My own experience has been that I’m constantly under stress, my motivation is really low, my mental health has been suffering because I feel under so much constant pressure from clients and also other parts of the business.

I recently had to start taking antidepressant medication because I felt so burnt out. I’ve also sought counseling.

About 6 weeks ago I went to my boss and explained that I felt I couldn’t continue in my role as it was affecting me hugely and I need a change. I ecxplained I was willing to go to HR because I understood the constraints in our department and that my boss is dealing with similar uncertainly.

It was explained to me that if I went to HR - it’s likely that the issue would be directed to management so my boss came back to me with a solution- to move some of my work to other team members. I thought this was ridiculous. I was really upset at the time because my team have been really good to me and I don’t think it’s fair that they get my work but I have been so unwell and this was literally the only solution presented to me.

I let it happen - I didn’t speak to the team about it because I really didn’t want to get into personal issues with them so I let my boss deal with it. He made a mess of doing it ... which left them really angry and upset. I am in the process of giving them the work and they are really upset and it’s put a divide in the team. I am trying to be professional but it’s breaking my heart but if I try keep the work I will be back to square one next week, feeling extremely pressurized and getting depressed.

I just wanted to get others opinions or some suggestions about what i could do i this situation.

I quite like my team however they have stopped trusting me because they think I’m dumping work on them when they are overloaded . I don’t want to speak to them about my personal life to explain because I don’t think that’s fair.

Any ideas on what to do would be welcome[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

OP, you can edit the post and delete the content yourself.

Advertisement