Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roll out grass in December. good idea or bad?

• 26-11-2018 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

hi,
    So ive been slowly doing my garden up since September and ive taken out the grass area as it nearly all weeds. now im thinking ill get some roll out grass but im worried it's too late in the year. I assume frost is bad for it so am i mad to do this or should I just get something to cover the area and do it in February/March. its about 40 square yards. thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,973 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you even able to get roll out grass at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭ms34

yeah. a place in tallaght said they have it year round

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭standardg60

It's no problem at all as long as the ground is not frozen, work away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

ms34 wrote: »
    hi,
    So ive been slowly doing my garden up since September and ive taken out the grass area as it nearly all weeds. now im thinking ill get some roll out grass but im worried it's too late in the year. I assume frost is bad for it so am i mad to do this or should I just get something to cover the area and do it in February/March. its about 40 square yards. thanks

You will have a much higher chance of failure but if you really want a garden for the winter then go ahead.

If you get a heavy frost or snow in the next month its going to die.

You will have a much higher chance of failure but if you really want a garden for the winter then go ahead.

Thanks, that is my worry. I'll hold off till spring I think.

• Advertisement

Do what you want OP but this opinion is completely incorrect, which is not surprising given the poster has only ever asked questions in this forum.

Turf will root in after a week or so, after that it's like any other lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

There is a reason why grass is one of the most prolific plants on the planet, it's because it is extremely resilient and adaptable.
    I've laid grass turf in winter in Ireland on numerous occasions and have never experienced any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There might be a bit of confusion between sowing and laying.

You don't sow in winter because the soil temperatures are too low for germination.

Laying turf is a transplant operation, and plants are usually transplanted outside of summer because the root disruption makes them more vulnerable to water stress when the water demand (from transpiration and growth) is highest.

Relatedly, if new turf dries out it shrinks, opening up gaps which again disrupt bridging of the roots to the soil underneath. Again, that's a summer problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,973 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Turf will root in after a week or so, after that it's like any other lawn.
    i assume it'd need reasonable temperatures to do so?
    i remember a very animated argument here about what temps grass starts growing at again, but don't want to resurrect that controversy!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

i assume it'd need reasonable temperatures to do so?
    i remember a very animated argument here about what temps grass starts growing at again, but don't want to resurrect that controversy!

Aint no fight like a gardening forum fight!

https://thelawnman.co.uk/soil-temperature-grass-growth/

...shows root growth down to 1C soil temperature. Where I am I doubt soil temperature a few inches down ever gets that low.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Aint no fight like a gardening forum fight!

https://thelawnman.co.uk/soil-temperature-grass-growth/

...shows root growth down to 1C soil temperature. Where I am I doubt soil temperature a few inches down ever gets that low.

Lumen you beat me to it. Yes root growth occurs at lower temperatures than leaf growth.

ah lads yiz have me conflicted. I don't need grass till April really but the garden looks crap with no grass. what to do, what to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

ms34 wrote: »
    ah lads yiz have me conflicted. I don't need grass till April really but the garden looks crap with no grass. what to do, what to do?

What's the ground like at the moment.. Dry enough to walk on or mush? If it's mush leave it till spring,you don't want to be working, or even working on wet soil.
    Yes the roots will grow at the moment, but not much...
    Just my 2 cent...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement