Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laurel hedge pot or bareoot

• 07-11-2018 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Im planting a hedge 90 yards long so need about 180 plants and am going with a LAUREL hedge. Making enquiries one garden centre has potted plants he says they would be better if we get another hard winter and to expect some bareroot to fail. He has them potted 1.5 to 2 foot tall for 3 euro each. A second garden centre I tried has bareroot around the same size for 2.50 euro each or a smaller plant for 2.00 euro.
    Would I be better giving an extra 90 euro for the potted plants.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

eoin.d wrote: »
    Im planting a hedge 90 yards long so need about 180 plants and am going with a LAUREL hedge. Making enquiries one garden centre has potted plants he says they would be better if we get another hard winter and to expect some bareroot to fail. He has them potted 1.5 to 2 foot tall for 3 euro each. A second garden centre I tried has bareroot around the same size for 2.50 euro each or a smaller plant for 2.00 euro.
    Would I be better giving an extra 90 euro for the potted plants.
    Thanks

You would be better off with potted , and you can plant the potted at your leisure, bare roots don't take well to lying around waiting to be planted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I have always planted bare rooted laurel and have never had failures unless ground conditions didn't suit like being too wet,potted plants would fail in similar conditions as well. If I were you I would go with the bare rooted

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭eoin.d

Car99 wrote:
    You would be better off with potted , and you can plant the potted at your leisure, bare roots don't take well to lying around waiting to be planted.

Would that be the only advantage or would the potted be a better plant. They will cost 540 euro but if a better plant I wouldn't mind spending a bit extra. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Potted less likely to suffer wind rock, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭standardg60

You have to see them in the flesh op. 3 euro for potted is very cheap so i'd imagine they're not that strong..ie single stemmed. The bare root would generally be bushier and I also wouldn't be too worried about failure rate. Having said that if the size and bushiness is similar I would go for the potted at that price. Also make sure that they are actually pot grown and not just recently potted bare root.

• Advertisement

You have to see them in the flesh op. 3 euro for potted is very cheap so i'd imagine they're not that strong..ie single stemmed. The bare root would generally be bushier and I also wouldn't be too worried about failure rate. Having said that if the size and bushiness is similar I would go for the potted at that price. Also make sure that they are actually pot grown and not just recently potted bare root.

Would there be a noticeable difference in the root system of a recently potted bare root?
    Also the site is fairly open so I was going to put up the green wind break stuff on the boundary fence beside them. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Accidentally

Would there be a noticeable difference in the root system of a recently potted bare root?
    Also the site is fairly open so I was going to put up the green wind break stuff on the boundary fence beside them. Thanks

This is an old garden centre trick, where you throw something in a pot and suddenly you can sell it for twice the price. Look for fine feeding roots and compost that doesn't fall away when you lift the plant from the pot.

Personally I'd go with bare root to save costs. The plant you have chosen is as tough as old boots and it tends to be harder to kill than to get it to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

I'd go for bare rooted plants. Before you buy them, have all your ground work done ie dig out a trench and be ready to put them in straight away. They need to go straight into the ground otherwise the roots dry out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Purely on the monetary side of it, I'd also go for bare root. Even if some were to die, replacing them would be cheaper than what you'll be spending for the potted ones anyway, and in any case you'd have no guarantee that none of the potted ones would fail, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭macraignil

jomalone14 wrote: »
    I'd go for bare rooted plants. Before you buy them, have all your ground work done ie dig out a trench and be ready to put them in straight away. They need to go straight into the ground otherwise the roots dry out.

I would normally in this situation choose bare root plants.

Although digging a trench to put the new plants in is one approach it can cause more soil disturbance and so cause some upset in the soil environment. I have had better success particularly with bare root hedging with just digging in a shovel and levering open an opening just wide enough to fit in the bare roots of the plant and then simply compacting the soil around the plant. In this way soil deeper down stays deeper down and soil from near the surface stays near the surface and consequently soil microbes adapted to the surface and deeper down retain their normal position and continue to act to create a healthy soil. This is how the no dig gardening advocates explain why their methods can be more productive than the active digging methods and I think the same logic explains why I have found planting hedging this way is more successful. The girlfriends father also says he finds this less digging method more successful.

While this easier planting method is another reason to go for the bare root hedging I think you should make your choice based on the plants you are offered. If the potted ones do have root growth coming out of the drainage holes at the end of the pot it would indicate they have been in the pots for a while and although they could be a bit more work to plant it might be worth the extra money to have the stronger plants. Make sure also that they have not become pot-bound by popping one out and ensuring the roots are not a congested mass that could hinder growth later on. As mentioned earlier there is also the advantage with pots that you can take more time to plant them as they will be protected a bit more in the pots. At the same time the method described to just lever open an opening in the soil just wide enough to fit in the roots should not take more than a day to complete. Posted some video clips of my most recent hedge planting here.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice. Where I'm planting is on the edge of a lawn. I have taken a 2 foot wide strip of scraw from it, this was hard going and the ground is hard to dig so I was going to hire a petrol rotavator and loosen the topsoil up a bit.
    I was going to dig individual holes 1.5 foot apart. A spade depth deep and a spade wide. I was going to dig at same time as planting because with work I can only get time at the weekend and I didn't want to leave holes open for a week with all the rain we have been getting and everything turn to muck.

Thanks for all the advice. Where I'm planting is on the edge of a lawn. I have taken a 2 foot wide strip of scraw from it, this was hard going and the ground is hard to dig so I was going to hire a petrol rotavator and loosen the topsoil up a bit.
    I was going to dig individual holes 1.5 foot apart. A spade depth deep and a spade wide. I was going to dig at same time as planting because with work I can only get time at the weekend and I didn't want to leave holes open for a week with all the rain we have been getting and everything turn to muck.

Would the Rotavator go deep enough to be of any use to you?

Car99 wrote:
    Would the Rotavator go deep enough to be of any use to you?

I don't think so, probably only 4 or 5 inches I would say. But better than nothing. I will just have to dig the rest.
    I presume a hole a foot deep will be deep enough

When I planted potted hedging I dug shallow, saucer shaped holes and built the soil up into a bit of a cone above the surrounding ground level. There was very little digging down.

If you dig deep holes in poor draining soil they will fill like buckets.

Roots mostly grow outwards in the top few inches of soil which air can reach. That's where all the good stuff happens.

Rotorvating does not improve small scale soil structure and may make it worse.

Be gentle.

Lumen wrote: »
    When I planted potted hedging I dug shallow, saucer shaped holes and built the soil up into a bit of a cone above the surrounding ground level. There was very little digging down.

If you dig deep holes in poor draining soil they will fill like buckets.

Roots mostly grow outwards in the top few inches of soil which air can reach. That's where all the good stuff happens.

Rotorvating does not improve small scale soil structure and may make it worse.

Be gentle.

This would be good soil with good drainage, it would have a few small field stones in it and lawn has been sown awhile so it's not all that easy dig. This is why I was getting a rotavator just to loosen soil up a bit and make job easier

This would be good soil with good drainage, it would have a few small field stones in it and lawn has been sown awhile so it's not all that easy dig. This is why I was getting a rotavator just to loosen soil up a bit and make job easier

If itcwas me i would Spray a two foot strip with weedkiller and let it till the grass has good and dead nearly rotted after about a month or longer then plant your hedge . No panic now as long as it's done by late March.

Car99 wrote: »
    If itcwas me i would Spray a two foot strip with weedkiller and let it till the grass has good and dead nearly rotted after about a month or longer then plant your hedge . No panic now as long as it's done by late March.

I have already a 2 foot strip taken off with the spade

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Op, I found some ads here, too.

Thanks for that new home. I will give some of them a ring. Much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 13 patrickdoc1959

Hello Guys

theres no need why it isnt possible to get potted (1.5 - 2 litre potted ) plants for the E2.50 mark!!

Potted laurel is most certainly higher quality..the roots are well formed and better than bareroot,no doubt about that, after all bareroot plants are just pulled from ground
    plus many potted plants will have a slow release fert in them

always go potted ( If there not too expensive, buy youl def get potted laurels, 45-60cm ) for 2.50

thanks

patrick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Hello Guys

theres no need why it isnt possible to get potted (1.5 - 2 litre potted ) plants for the E2.50 mark!!

Potted laurel is most certainly higher quality..the roots are well formed and better than bareroot,no doubt about that, after all bareroot plants are just pulled from ground
    plus many potted plants will have a slow release fert in them

always go potted ( If there not too expensive, buy youl def get potted laurels, 45-60cm ) for 2.50

thanks

patrick

Sorry Patrick, I know you are trying to help, but this advice is just plain incorrect.

Bare root or root balled should always be the preferred option when available, the reason been is that they adapt and take more readily than container grown plants.

The fact that BR or RB plants are grown in the ground and lifted from the ground is an advantage, not a disadvantage as you seem to suggest. In general the plants from the open ground will have an excellent well managed root zone (if they don't, then don't accept them), and adapt to their new home and take much more readily than their container grown counterparts.

Container grown plants are very useful and convenient, in so far as you can plant them 12 months of the year, but there are drawbacks, in that you cannot be sure how they have been cared for and there is the potential to get plants that are pot bound or newly potted, and you pay a premium for that convenience, so in the dormant season when BR and RB plants are available, they should always be the preferred option and it's not just because they are cheaper (which they are BTW), it's because they do not suffer from shock as much as container grown plants and they will adapt and begin to perform much more readily.

Bare root or root balled should always be the preferred option when available, the reason been is that they adapt and take more readily than container grown plants.
    Not sure that's true for all plants. Some are particularly sensitive to root disturbance, e.g Eucalyptus particularly, and Aronia.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 patrickdoc1959

Hoof Hearted2

Much appreciated for the reply...
    There's absolutely no evidence to suggest that bare root plants are better than potted plants..

ask anyone who knows what they are talking about they will tell you that the potted plants should also be taken over the BR, (after all the very nature of the first comment on this suggested their downfall, when the original poster said that some may fail)

Pot bound can be an issue i will give you that, but its ridiculous to suggest that a potted plant that has a complete root formed as opposed to one that has very little is simple ridiculous.

and with respect, i can assure that as someone who formally owned a local wholesale garden centre and done many hedging projects nationwide, my advice is simply not incorrect...

these have also in most cases been sprayed for systemic issues like, hole-shot which can be real problem later on

Also, there is no reason why cannot get potted laurel for 2.50 a plant nationwide

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Hoof Hearted2

Much appreciated for the reply...
    There's absolutely no evidence to suggest that bare root plants are better than potted plants..

ask anyone who knows what they are talking about they will tell you that the potted plants should also be taken over the BR, (after all the very nature of the first comment on this suggested their downfall, when the original poster said that some may fail)

Pot bound can be an issue i will give you that, but its ridiculous to suggest that a potted plant that has a complete root formed as opposed to one that has very little is simple ridiculous.

and with respect, i can assure that as someone who formally owned a local wholesale garden centre and done many hedging projects nationwide, my advice is simply not incorrect...

these have also in most cases been sprayed for systemic issues like, hole-shot which can be real problem later on

Also, there is no reason why cannot get potted laurel for 2.50 a plant nationwide

Hi Patrick,

Let me expand on what I said above, when I say bare root plants are better than pot grown what I mean is that BR and RB adapt to the soil conditions sooner and thinking about it logically that makes sense and you would have to agree, also from my experience having worked in the industry for 35+ years, that has been the case.

I work as a landscape gardener and we used to own and run a garden center and nursery and from my experience working in the retail side of things, there was always a tendecy/bias to selling current stock, in practice that meant recommending to the client what we currently held in stock as opposed to outsourcing, now from a commercial and stock point of view that makes perfect sense, but it wasn't necessarily the best option for the client.

From my experience, I still maintain that the best option for hedging is BR or RB when available and the quality of those plants has never been an issue as we have very good growers in Ireland, pot grown hedging plants would only be an option for me when BR and RB are unavailable or the quantities required are very small. e.g. less than 10.

While I respect your opinion, I don't agree with it based on my professional experience, but we can agree to disagree;).

Advertisement