Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Mooooo wrote: »
    Fine reminder why I told myself I wouldn't milk after pints the night before this morning. At least tis cool morning out

I hear you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Fine reminder why I told myself I wouldn't milk after pints the night before this morning. At least tis cool morning out

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Timmaay hears ya, i hear ya. We heard ya the first time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Base price wrote: »
    AFAIK they have substantially increased their rose veal industry from the prohibition of dairy bull calve exports. In their case it is sustainable due to access to a huge volume of city/urban consumers.
    Edit to say: IMO the same scenario cannot be achieved here in Ireland.
    We don't have
    1) a tradition of eating veal like other EU member states.
    2) we don't have enough foreign visitors to consume the volume (that we could produce) through our hotels and restaurants etc.
    3) I was told many years ago after looking into is as a enterprise that the cost of exporting rose veal to the EU makes it commercially non-viable.

I’d a bunch of heifer calves that I couldn’t sell last October. There was only 17 of them and all were Limxholfr.
    Sold last week for €927 average across the 17.
    The lass that was looking after them has a friend that’s an egg producer and she had them on 10 eggs per day...
    I’ve no idea if they left money after them but they got through a fair bit of milk powder and calf nuts.
    Still it’s better than throwing them in the skip.

Silage again today. Objective was to be finished by last evening but likely to be Monday or even Tuesday now.
    I fcuking hâte silage making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Base price wrote: »
    AFAIK they have substantially increased their rose veal industry from the prohibition of dairy bull calve exports. In their case it is sustainable due to access to a huge volume of city/urban consumers.
    Edit to say: IMO the same scenario cannot be achieved here in Ireland.
    We don't have
    1) a tradition of eating veal like other EU member states.
    2) we don't have enough foreign visitors to consume the volume (that we could produce) through our hotels and restaurants etc.
    3) I was told many years ago after looking into is as a enterprise that the cost of exporting rose veal to the EU makes it commercially non-viable.
    Don't know about the veal market in the UK but there is definitely a large kabab market . England not allowed export due to bse . Scotland live export is allowed but ferry companies are not allowing young calves onboard . Friesen and xbreed calves go for the same price from what I can see in the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Don't know about the veal market in the UK but there is definitely a large kabab market . England not allowed export due to bse . Scotland live export is allowed but ferry companies are not allowing young calves onboard . Friesen and xbreed calves go for the same price from what I can see in the uk
    Scottish calves come through the North and out via Rosslare/Dublin ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

How are ye for grass?

Temps have slowed things a bit, I was gonna skip today's paddock but with a cooler week ahead and rain Tues and Wed I won't, not tight or anything tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Temps have slowed things a bit, I was gonna skip today's paddock but with a cooler week ahead and rain Tues and Wed I won't, not tight or anything tho

Tightish here. Did the same thing last night with a bunch of finishing cattle. They will be starting meal after that paddock. Anything that is a few weeks eaten is doing well but anything cleaned is slow. Clean out is good though. Well into second round of grazing and no need for topper yet.☺

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Fine atm but growth slower than I'd like. Hopefully get a good shot of rain over the next few days and a bit of heat after that. Put the last split on the silage ground the last few days and the heavy ground is motoring on while the dry ground has slowed a lot.

whelan2 wrote: »
    How are ye for grass?

Tight enough here, between 1st cut, maize and abit of a reseed I'm stocked at 4lu/ha, which is a demand of around 65, and growth barely matching that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭straight

Stocked at 4.5/ha here. It's going to be tight until I get to aftergrass.

Last cow finally calved. Bull broke back in last year to push this one out but the last two before her were the 22 and 26 April with a gap to them. Aim to finish calving the second week of April next year all going well. 11 days in over half the cow's served

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

whelan2 wrote: »
    Ai man was saying this morning he hasn't used one jersey straw this year yet.

My area wouldn’t use jersey straws ever

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

simx wrote: »
    My area wouldn’t use jersey straws ever

Local Ai man said he has used a good bit more Jex thus year that last. That could be a West Cork thing tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

https://go.alltech.com/webinar-beat-the-drop?fbclid=IwAR2WAIpqacappnWWfrblvCgz22tV8zNcHnh4HWEV2E-nELOcg2QeLrbxSHc

That lad might be worth a listen to, one of the top dairy scientists in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

https://go.alltech.com/webinar-beat-the-drop?fbclid=IwAR2WAIpqacappnWWfrblvCgz22tV8zNcHnh4HWEV2E-nELOcg2QeLrbxSHc

I was actually on the missigan state university dairy farm (ex used to study there ) nice setup, just remember students with the radio blaring while milking, extreme holsteins but nice setup.

Anyone feeding meal thru dairymaster feeders? Currently feeding nuts worried meal may block up. Have the thing on the top of the bin to keep it mixed going into the bin, assuming it comes out of the lorry that way of course

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Anyone feeding meal thru dairymaster feeders? Currently feeding nuts worried meal may block up. Have the thing on the top of the bin to keep it mixed going into the bin, assuming it comes out of the lorry that way of course

Once there's not too much molasses in it, it should work away no bother. Got meal delivered instead of nuts a few months ago and the augers actually went better than with the nuts. 35 year old Orby augers and cashman feeders

• Advertisement

All silage finished for now bar a lash of bales.
    Eight pits covered...another fcuking bank holiday tomorrow, so no staff.

Thursday starting on spreading fym on that land for maize, sunflowers and sorghum.

There's something registering at the back of my head about no more than 2% molasses in meal for their augers and feeders to stay working but I've never chanced meal since I've put them in tbh.

Best bet would be to give them a shout first and check the upper limit of molasses?

Maize finished last night around 2am!, and reseeding just finished now. Bring on this miserable dirty wet day tomorrow please!

So we finally got the calf feeders going today, after much discussions. We have auto registration of the calves so once they come in for the first feed, they are registered on the system, in for registration, out to confirm an back in again to feed. We put 20 calves on it today with a few minor mistakes made that I'll have to sort tomorrow. They're all on day 30 of the programme so we'll have to put the correct ages on them but there's no great rush with that.

Fed as normal this morning an started putting them in around 12. Most drank a liter or two and all those in after dinner drank their two liters. All had drank after milking this evening so I'll run the shy ones into it after milking in the morning.

We have two pens of weaned calves waiting to be moved so they're making things a bit complicated but we'll move them in the morning and register the youngest 30 then once they can get into the oldest calves pens.

It should be interesting to see how many are waiting to be fed in the morning.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Maize finished last night around 2am!, and reseeding just finished now. Bring on this miserable dirty wet day tomorrow please!

It's here today down here but damn cold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

prime time now on the cruelty to exported calves ,
    that's all we need now and Teagasc rushing out today changing breeding strategy once again .

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Prime time was a fair balls.

I see Pallaskenry Ag college now using a Limousin bull to clean up there maiden heifers after using fixed time AI, big move :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

what was his solution . hay? silage?

Beef breeds won't solve the issue overnight. The factories and their bolixing have always been part of the issue. Perfect storm of brexit and numbers. Sent aa calves to mart Mon. Because they couldn't go for export the bulls made 80 to 100 the heifers made 30, and haulier reckons they didn't cop the bulls weren't allowed for export. Calves were 3 weeks old. Exports are putting a base in the market. These weren't off xbred cow's either. Had enquiries from mayo one year looking for calves as the man had bought them a number of years back and using them for suckler replacements .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Out of curiosity is there any sort of maternity leave for a female dairy Farmer (i.e subsistence to pay relief milker?). Playing with going back dairying on home farm but as a 26yo female it's not really an option if have to get relief milker for majority of milkings for 3-6months per child

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement