Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is this appropriate interview attire if I don't have a full

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

LambDev wrote: »
    I really hope I get it, as it feels like a great opportunity.

Sounds like it went great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Best of luck! Let us know! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Based on how you come across in your posts, I'd employ you. Best of luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 LambDev

Hopefully. I don't have the best track record with interviews. I have only ever succeeded in 1 out of the 4 I have done. But this one feels like the time I was successful. I'll report back either way.

Thanks everyone for all your advice.

Based on how you come across in your posts, I'd employ you. Best of luck!

Not if he wasn't wearing a suit you wouldn't. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

limnam wrote: »
    One's who do give a sh|t you're probably better off finding somewhere else to work anyway

This is such a common yet naive opinion these days.

I do give a **** when I'm interviewing. I know very little about this person in front of me, based on very little information I need to make a judgement about their work ethic, their attitude and their approach to things that are important.

So why on earth would I not give a **** about how the candidate presents him or herself? And why the hell would giving that **** mean we are a bad place to work?

The only way your comment makes sense is if the candidate is a lazy twat who only wants to work for places that have low standards, in which yes, if the candidate can't be bothered presenting properly then they probably are better off looking elsewhere.

This is such a common yet naive opinion these days.

What's "naive" about it.

If people are making calls based on the difference between a suit and dressing smart/neatly. They're probably not very competent. If I'm been interviewed by them there's a good chance I have to work with them or for them. Work can be tough enough without been surrounded by incompetence. If either side can figure this out before you start working there. It's win win.
    I do give a **** when I'm interviewing. I know very little about this person in front of me, based on very little information I need to make a judgement about their work ethic, their attitude and their approach to things that are important.

So use your interviewing skills to extract what you need and have your interview process setup so the company doesn't have to rely on idiotic assumptions about someone wearing a suit or dressing smart.

Again it's normally down to an interviews incompetence that leads to them rely on things like clothes.
    So why on earth would I not give a **** about how the candidate presents him or herself? And why the hell would giving that **** mean we are a bad place to work?

Because as long as they present themelves well it doesn't matter if it's in a suit or in smart/neath clothing. because it shows a level of laziness and incompetence from the interviewer. I don't want to be working for or along side incompetence
    The only way your comment makes sense if if the candidate is a lazy twat who only wants to work for places that have low standards, in which yes, if the candidate can't be bothered presenting properly then they probably are better off looking elsewhere.

Normally interviewers with this basic level of interview skill are the ones who are lazy and incompetent. Hence it's good to avoid such work palaces where possible.

You're deciding to you whats "properly". Again, we're not talking about strolling in a tracksuit.

They're probably not very competent.
    Work can be tough enough without been surrounded by incompetence
    idiotic assumptions about someone wearing a suit or dressing smart.
    Again it's normally down to an interviews incompetence
    because it shows a level of laziness and incompetence from the interviewer.
    I don't want to be working for or along side incompetence
    Normally interviewers with this basic level of interview skill are the ones who are lazy and incompetent.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

I expected nothing less.

insightful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

limnam wrote:
    It's actually true.

limnam wrote:
    You can think so.

limnam wrote:
    shrug.

How mature. The interview is now over so not even sure what you're trying to do except be a smart arse.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Sounds like it went great OP, always a good sign when it lasts a while.

Don't worry about only getting 1 in 4, that's not unusual. Interviewers often have a number of great candidates and a tough choice.

Once you keep on going for interviews then you're going get the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Here's another fact for you.

I work in one of the biggest companies in the world.

There's rarely a day where there wouldn't be a number of interviewee's in the building.

A huge amount of the jobs you would be required to suit up in.

I can count on one hand in the last few years the amount of suits I've seen.

Maybe your company has a reputation of been old fashioned and stuffy.

I’m very surprised at this
    I believe you but just very surprised

Regardless of what is actually happening .

I would have ‘assumed’ that ‘most’ people who get an interview would automatically wear a suit to the interview but your saying that’s isn’t the case.

Is there a chance a suit is mentioned as not required in the interview Inviation email/call?

I would Always wear a suit to an interview

Btw best Of luck OP!!

I expected nothing less.

insightful

Your posts deserve no less, its pretty clear from your immature posts and comments that you aren't worth debating with. Its also very clear that you have never conducted an interview in your life.

Your posts deserve no less, its pretty clear from your immature posts and comments that you aren't worth debating with. Its also very clear that you have never conducted an interview in your life.

So you respond with immature nonsense.

sound.

wally1990 wrote: »
    I’m very surprised at this
    I believe you but just very surprised

Regardless of what is actually happening .

I would have ‘assumed’ that ‘most’ people who get an interview would automatically wear a suit to the interview but your saying that’s isn’t the case.

Is there a chance a suit is mentioned as not required in the interview Inviation email/call?

I would Always wear a suit to an interview

Btw best Of luck OP!!

You can read about our interview processes for a lot of the jobs on glass door.

But we don't mention expected attire in any communications prior to the interview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

It's horses for courses.

I've interviewed with a person who puts great store into how people are dressed. It's their company so they can have the criteria they desire. Myself, it's down to 'Has this person made an effort' and that's a 0.5 of a second assessment and then it's down to the interview propper.

But, as I've stated I have been in an interview where I thought the person would be suitable, but they were shot down by the owner because of the way they dressed, admittedly on this occasion the person would have been representing the company, but they have made similar comments (but not deciding factors that I know of) re other candidates for other roles.

And no to the jumper (of any kind) and avoid the puffer jacket (seriously?)

For your attire to not get you any marks or deduct you marks, polished shoes, trousers and a tie that doesn't completely clash with your shirt are a minimum for most jobs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 LambDev

So I'm still waiting to hear back a week later.

LambDev wrote: »
    So I'm still waiting to hear back a week later.

Absent any other info, I wouldn't necessarily worry about that.

I held a series of interviews back on the 9th, and have been so busy with other matters since that it was only earlier this week that I sat down to actually make a decision on what we were doing next.

And thats a case where it was my decision to make, never mind having to run it by anybody else! Sometimes managers are just busy, a week isn't too egregious a timeframe.

Advertisement