Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to live in America

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Ok OP, firstly forget all this green card and government website spiel from others.There are many ways to actually end up living there, but many are too time consuming so I'm going to give you the quickest way possible.

You're in luck. Ireland and the United States have an extradition agreement. Now how to commit a crime that covers the basis to be extradited? Well you're options are endless. Recently a Wicklow man was extradited I do believe for conspiracy to distribute narcotics, conspiracy to commit hacking and conspiracy to commit money laundering. He did this all from the comfort of his house on his laptop. I'm not sure if you would be required to commit all three crimes.

Anyway once you've done it and are caught High Court may decide to extradite you to the States where you can fulfil your, presumably, life sentence. Strolling into the maximum security prison with the Californian sun on your back and James Brown's "Living in America" in your ears, you'll know it's all been worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

endacl wrote: »
    Would be shut down by the Hillman Hunters.

The Hillman Avengers could stage a retaliatory strike though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭mojesius

Yester wrote: »
    Yes I suppose it's the most obvious way. Sounds like a lot of hassle. I have a friend living illegally over there. he is working inan Irish bar, no questions asked but he is not able to relax.

I went on a j1 years ago working in a bar and borderhopped a few times, staying an extra 6 months. Cash in hand stuff but like you said, no security and you're on edge. Fun in your 20s, not so fun long term.

A fella from Clare used to drink in the bar and hadn't been back to Ireland since the 1980s, moved to NY for the building trade when there was eff all going on here. He missed many family funerals, weddings etc. He'd ask me so much about Ireland, I felt sorry for him, seemed really lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

You could go to America, outstay your Visa and if you're Irish you will just be "Undocumented" instead of Illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Ok OP, firstly forget all this green card and government website spiel from others.There are many ways to actually end up living there, but many are too time consuming so I'm going to give you the quickest way possible.

You're in luck. Ireland and the United States have an extradition agreement. Now how to commit a crime that covers the basis to be extradited? Well you're options are endless. Recently a Wicklow man was extradited I do believe for conspiracy to distribute narcotics, conspiracy to commit hacking and conspiracy to commit money laundering. He did this all from the comfort of his house on his laptop. I'm not sure if you would be required to commit all three crimes.

Anyway once you've done it and are caught High Court may decide to extradite you to the States where you can fulfil your, presumably, life sentence. Strolling into the maximum security prison with the Californian sun on your back and James Brown's "Living in America" in your ears, you'll know it's all been worth it.

Obvious Russian Bot trying to get me to assassinate Donald Trump. He is a good busniess man and he is doing his best so feck off Boris.

• Advertisement

mojesius wrote: »
    I went on a j1 years ago working in a bar and borderhopped a few times, staying an extra 6 months. Cash in hand stuff but like you said, no security and you're on edge. Fun in your 20s, not so fun long term.

A fella from Clare used to drink in the bar and hadn't been back to Ireland since the 1980s, moved to NY for the building trade when there was eff all going on here. He missed many family funerals, weddings etc. He'd ask me so much about Ireland, I felt sorry for him, seemed really lost.

Yeah, my friend ended up missing his own dads funeral. He still feels bad about it.

endacl wrote: »
    Would be shut down by the Hillman Hunters.
    Lol my first car was a Hillman Hunter

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yeah, my friend ended up missing his own dads funeral. He still feels bad about it.

Ah jaysus, what a way to live.

If you're going to go do it the right way, I couldn't live in a country illegally like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Chrongen wrote: »
    Pabst Blue Ribbon beer slopper

Tell me more ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Why do you want to go though?, the one thing that always struck me is that some of the US is very familiar particularly Boston and New York and its not just television and film. The reason is that it is English speaking and there are lots of Irish there, you realise there is an Irish look you can pick people out who's ancestress must have been Irish.

Its one thing visiting or even spending a couple of month its another thing living there.

• Advertisement

Ah jaysus, what a way to live.

If you're going to go do it the right way, I couldn't live in a country illegally like that.
    I know. Me neither. You could never be at peace.

mojesius wrote: »

Yep, shit life. Knew a few like that myself when I lived there. They were totally trapped. They were all talk in their 20's because they had lots of cash from working in a bar or on the sites whereas I hadn't much because I was legal and chose to work in a white collar job, But as time went on and my salary improved with experience I would see them stagnating. I'd go to the Irish pub once in a while and there they'd be week in week out living the same bullshit "dream". I was chatting to one bloke about how I was going to take a couple of days off in February to fly to London to see my sister and go on the piss in the West End and maybe catch a football match at Spurs or Crystal Palace or something. He let on that this was crappy and why would you want to do such a thing, like you had everything you could ever want in America. He later confided that he was immensely envious and wasn't able to do something as simple yet as exciting as flying off to another country for a few days. Him and his cohorts used to go "on holiday" to the fcuking Catskills and that was the extent of their adventures outside of NY.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Fake News

Riskymove wrote: »

That's way too much work. Could I not just marry an American girl/guy?
    It has to be Bona Fide

Lol my first car was a Hillman Hunter

Shouldn't you be more concerned with retiring now rather than emigrating :pac:

mariaalice wrote: »
    Why do you want to go though?, the one thing that always struck me is that some of the US is very familiar particularly Boston and New York and its not just television and film. The reason is that it is English speaking and there are lots of Irish there, you realise there is an Irish look you can pick people out who's ancestress must have been Irish.

Its one thing visiting or even spending a couple of month its another thing living there.

That is a good question.Why do I want to go? It helps that it is an English speaking country and it had had a huge impact culturally on us here. I'm finding Ireland to be a small island. I could just go to europe but the language is a barrier. I have spent time in England but I guess I associte more with the good ol' USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Chrongen wrote: »
    Shouldn't you be more concerned with retiring now rather than emigrating :pac:

Lol. I was a young man with an old car. What a car though. They were built like tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

redcup342 wrote: »
    Canada is cold end of.

WTF would you go to Canada for except for work :)

Most of america has extremely cold winters too apart from southern states..and Vancouver CA has same winter weather as ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Yester wrote:
    If I wanted to look it up I wouldn't have asked on After Hours. Seriously though wouldn't be great to be American?

Rory28 wrote:
    As opposed to Irish? No. No it isn't.

Look upon my two passports, and envy me.

But seriously, I think you'd be mad to give here up in favour of there.

• Advertisement

That is a good question.Why do I want to go? It helps that it is an English speaking country and it had had a huge impact culturally on us here. I'm finding Ireland to be a small island. I could just go to europe but the language is a barrier. I have spent time in England but I guess I associte more with the good ol' USA.

Have you ever actuley been even on a holiday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Zackary Hundreds Snowman

One route, the visa (DV) lottery system has been proposed by Donald today, to be closed down.

This probably after a recent recipient from teapotistan or somewhere, decided to mow random cyclists down, as they were too diverse for his own imported beliefs.

Additionally the concept of 'bottom of the barrels' didn't really favour the program e.g. You only need to have complete high school, and a very basic jist of English to fulfill the entry criteria. As automation replaces entire industry workforce sectors there will be less demand for blue-collars. Your Whopper burger will likely come from a robot, than a human in 2021+.

It will likely be replaced by a skills-based (points) visa program (same as many other countries). It will benefit places like India, where a majority of H1-B come from. Fluent in English, usually with advanced professional degrees in demand/growth sectors, young, single etc. The NW of Europe may also benefit from this new type of system.

Part of the attraction is that you could just get in your car and drive from New York to Calafornia.Best I can do here is Donegal to West Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

America was great a few decades ago. It’s fraying now. If you live somewhere nice, wealthy the cost of living and rent will be astronomical.

The flyover states are poor.

The cops are dangerous in many places.

I bet there’s parts of small town America where it works really well though.

For me I’d just travel there for a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Part of the attraction is that you could just get in your car and drive from New York to Calafornia.Best I can do here is Donegal to West Cork.

Welll you can do Wales to Vladislavstock. However I agree the language makes a difference.

Book a long vacation.

Have you ever actuley been even on a holiday?
    No I've never been over.

http://www.usavisa.ie/1-year-graduate-visa

Although you have to be a recent graduate.

No I've never been over.

Maybe try a holiday first that Norwegian airline is suppose to be doing great value fares.

Well if you are willing to take the ferry to Roscoff in France then you could get in your car and drive from there to Hong Kong.

• Advertisement

Maybe try a holiday first that Norwegian airline is suppose to be doing great value fares.

That would be sensible I suppose. Where would you recommend for a holiday? I'm thinking New york.

Advertisement