Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Last cut of the year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,984 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Cut mine and the neighbours holiday home at the weekend......hopefully that'll be that.

I had noticed a rapid slow down in growth for the last few weeks, so lets hope that continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Did it this afternoon, well I hope I did :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Skimmed mine today aswell more to mulch leaves than anything. I'll skim it again when I'm off over Christmas if the weather suits.

Was thinking with the dry weather of maybe doing another quick cut tomorrow.

Just to top it slightly before putting away the mower

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

We cut ours yesterday. First dryish day in a while.
    Will do it again on a dry fine day in december. Truth ge told theres no real last cut here. Like to keep it looking tidy - moss wouldnt bother me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

End of October was the last cut here, but have a lovely lad in to do it. Too big a garden for little ole me to do now.

Will not be cut again until March. Grassman goes away for the Winter, great life and he is dead right.

Same for the last five years. We and grass have survived!

Got a cut done today, that'll be me til the spring (hopefully).

Can't see any more growth from here on in.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Filled the brown bin this evening, it was more leaves than anything. I'd say I've one more this month in it. And I'll top it again Xmas week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Cut my own again this morning. The lawn which normally waterlogs in winter is drier and in better shape now than it is during a normal summer. Fully expect to be cutting again before the new year given the continued mild weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Topped it yesterday, a good mix of grass and leaves, topped up 2 compost bins with the mixture. Weather permitting .maybe a cut over the Christmas break, rare enough event though. I'll get the ride on serviced over the winter, he'll be far to busy in spring.

• Advertisement

Would it be too late now to put on one of those Autumn feeds for the lawn?

I discovered one in my garage!

Leave it there, sprinkle it out in Feb.

Got a cut after work, just topped.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

From here on the best policy is keep it short

The best practice is to keep grass long this time of year to allow the roots to thrive over winter or the frost will damage the lawn. Also you risk a lot of moss bedding in if you keep it short. I've been cutting mine a few notches higher since Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

NIMAN wrote: »
    Would it be too late now to put on one of those Autumn feeds for the lawn?

I discovered one in my garage!

As long as it’s before the first frost, crack on :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

monkeynuz wrote: »
    As long as it’s before the first frost, crack on :)

We've had a few frosts already though...

Zzippy wrote: »
    We've had a few frosts already though...

Not proper frosts and average temperatures are still high enough to take it, after all it’s a specific autumn feed not a summer feed.

Maybe best just to hold off?

Would it do no use if spread and watered in?

Maybe best just to hold off?

Would it do no use if spread and watered in?

Whereabouts in the country roughly are you?

North Donegal.

North Donegal.

Probably best to hold off then unless you tend to get more wet windy weather

• Advertisement

Probably best to hold off then unless you tend to get more wet windy weather

More wet, windy weather?

Where I am, thats guaranteed:mad:

More wet, windy weather?

Where I am, thats guaranteed:mad:

Use it now then. It’s not going to ruin the grass.

Not proper frosts and average temperatures are still high enough to take it, after all it’s a specific autumn feed not a summer feed.

What's a "proper" frost? We had frost last week a couple of mornings where it didn't thaw until nearly 11. I was scraping ice off the car at 10am. We've also had frost in September this year, which is unbelievably early for here.

What's a "proper" frost? We had frost last week a couple of mornings where it didn't thaw until nearly 11. I was scraping ice off the car at 10am. We've also had frost in September this year, which is unbelievably early for here.

Where are you though?

Where are you though?

West of Ireland, a few miles inland from the coast. Probably get a lot less frosts than east/midlands.

West of Ireland, a few miles inland from the coast. Probably get a lot less frosts than east/midlands.

Like you say we’ve had a few frosts in the West and Southwest but still not enough to worry about and average temperatures are still high enough to warrant a late lawn feed.

If average temperatures were 3-7 degrees during the day then I would definitely say to hold off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

Cut the top of my grass yesterday. Was growing mad last few days. Weathers warm enough & dry enough for it

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kittyIE

Hi. My bulbs are coming up right now. They must be 1 in up. Anything I should do. Thanks

Raging I didn't get out to top the lawn today. Too busy with the dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

kittyIE wrote: »
    Hi. My bulbs are coming up right now. They must be 1 in up. Anything I should do. Thanks

It's normal for bulbs to be up now. They'll go dormant.

Advertisement