Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New RTE Weather Presenter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    You "couldn't disagree"? So you do agree? :confused:

I think he means at first he disagreed with the drivel but then just couldn't do it anymore and had to start agreeing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Smoothrider

Seriously, the weather is the most important part of the news for many people, myself included.

A lot of people plan how they go about their business and or leisure dependent on the current forecast and it is important that weather news is presented in a professional manner by the best people we have available.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sin é!

Mod Note: As above. We now know your position at this point, so, can we leave it that. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Call me Al wrote: »
    Siobhan Ryan (I think) just said County Mullingar.. I can just imagine the stick she will get for this.

"North westerly component" "across the board" "15 degrees tops".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Seriously, the weather is the most important part of the news for many people, myself included.

A lot of people plan how they go about their business and or leisure dependent on the current forecast and it is important that weather news is presented in a professional manner by the best people we have available.

I must say I enjoy JD's quirkiness and original style. Very relaxed and is clearly someone who is not up her own backside. You can only be so dour and serious and 'professional' about that next band of 'patchy rain' that is moving in from the wesht.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

"North westerly component" "across the board" "15 degrees tops".

Not forgetting the classic "cloudy outbreaks of rain" :D

Though she is one of my favorited forecasters, Evelyn Cusack just now on the TV forecast just mentioned 'so-called' mountain waves while showing a sat pic.

She seems to do this a lot like 'so-called cold front' or 'so-called Azores High'. Surely any noun could be considered 'so-called'? In this same manner, wouldn't it be more correct to say that we could get some 'so-called rain' tonight? or that we could get some 'so-called sunshine' tomorrow? Where would it end for Christ's sake? :P

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The typos on Met É TV forecasts really grind my gears. How simple is it to spell check? If I see TOMRROW or Hurricane Matthew approaching JAMCAIA one more time I'll have to tut tut strongly at no-one in particular!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Met Eireann's Michelle Dillon on this evenings weather forecast on Rte1

Met Eireann's Michelle Dillon on this evenings weather forecast on Rte1

She was just on the Sixone now too. Really like her relaxed presentation style.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Shes on the 9 there now, all the others must be on the lash. Ive never even heard Michelle on radio before?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I just feel that she smiles a little too much throughout her broadcast......gives the whole presentation a slightly 'forced' nuance.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

tippman1 wrote: »
    I just feel that she smiles a little too much throughout her broadcast......gives the whole presentation a slightly 'forced' nuance.

She just enjoys imparting good news - let's hope it doesn't turn to a frown any time soon!

tippman1 wrote: »

I would put that down to her very nervous as she is new. As anybody who has done a public presentation may know, it is possible one of the most terrifying things you can do, and this feeling is undoubtabley enhanced when doing a national TV broadcast.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭squonk

I really like Michelle's forecasts. She comes across as very genuine, happy and down to earth. She's also someone I could listen to all day long. I think she's the best new addition in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

She was born not far from me she's from a really nice family an i can assure ye she is just a genuine happy person ..also she's one of the only met ppl that does the weather for the airports

She's with met eireann with years not a newbie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Siobhan holding her own in a leather skirt and see through top tonight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

ongarboy wrote: »

You can see her arms and everything, pure filth.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

ongarboy wrote: »

Sometimes I wonder is it a fashion show instead of a weather forecast:)

Maybe change the title of thread to 'What Siobhan is Wearing Tonight'? :rolleyes:

New Moon

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Maybe change the title of thread to 'What Siobhan is Wearing Tonight'? :rolleyes:

Still waiting....

Nice little chanel-esque pink number with a plunging neck Siobhan had on last night. Still no idea what she said the weather would be, thank heavens for this forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

She ended last night's RTE forecast (wed) with the words "Goodnight Mary" .....

Which left us a little baffled.

Anyone know what she meant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

LordSutch wrote: »

It was a code. Or a bet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Mary Tyler Moore died today. Her eponymous US sitcom was groundbreaking in the early 70s in that it depicted an unmarried woman getting a senior position in a city newsroom and with WIT and humour battling all the sexism and so on. Much loved in her day,
    RIP MTM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

infogiver wrote: »
    Mary Tyler Moore died today. Her eponymous US sitcom was groundbreaking in the early 70s in that it depicted an unmarried woman getting a senior position in a city newsroom and with WIT and humour battling all the sexism and so on. Much loved in her day,
    RIP MTM.

Good shout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Sure we remember well the Mary Tyler Moore show and the fact that she had died yesterday, but the news had finished and we had moved onto the weather forecast, and then suddrnly at the end of the forecast Joanna says "Goodnight Mary".

...who's Mary said my wife? I have no idea? Maybe its to a friend? Dunno was my reply, sounds odd said my wife, to which I replied maybe its got something to do with MTMs death? No, can't be, sure she said Goodnight Mary, I don't know?

So then, it seems like it was for MTMs death. I don't remember Goodnight Mary being a catchphrase, but maybe it was? either way, now we know.

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Sure we remember well the Mary Tyler Moore show and the fact that she had died yesterday, but the news had finished and we had moved onto the weather forecast, and then suddrnly at the end of the forecast Joanna says "Goodnight Mary".

...who's Mary said my wife? I have no idea? Maybe its to a friend? Dunno was my reply, sounds odd said my wife, to which I replied maybe its got something to do with MTMs death? No, can't be, sure she said Goodnight Mary, I don't know?

So then, it seems like it was for MTMs death. I don't remember Goodnight Mary being a catchphrase, but maybe it was? either way, now we know.

Thanks.

For a lot of women the MTM character was their first exposure to a woman "making it" in the hithertoo male dominated world of broadcast news and,I suppose, weather forecasting on TV/radio. She may just have inspired many girls to press on "I'm gonna make it on my own!".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

If ppl remember on the singer princes death at the start she said we'd have purple rain tonight, if im not mistaken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Just a thought crossed my mind regarding Joanna Donnelly's mention of goodnight Mary re. Mary Tyler Moore's passing on the 9.30pm forecast last night..

It's all very arbitrary who she's giving personal little tributes to. They're usually music or film stars. TK Whittaker did more for this country than any she mentioned so far but he's just a civil servant!

An old Michael Collins word comes to mind 'Ballsology'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭tphase

lab man wrote: »
    If ppl remember on the singer princes death at the start she said we'd have purple rain tonight, if im not mistaken
    I think she something like 'no rain, purple or otherwise'

Advertisement