Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dean's Grange Burial Records

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Is there not a record already online somewhere? I recall seeing a list of various burials in an Excel format?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes IGP has some - can't find the link for some reason.

Also on microfilm in Pearse St.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

pinkypinky wrote: »

Also on microfilm in Pearse St.

And in GSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Is there anywhere online to get records from Mount Jerome?

Thanks....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Yes IGP has some - can't find the link for some reason.

Would this be it?

http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/dublin/photos/tombstones/deansgrange-ndx.htm

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

BowWow wrote: »
    Is there anywhere online to get records from Mount Jerome?

Thanks....

just the IGP headstone transcripts - no official Mount Jerome burial records online. Pearse Street Library have microfilms.

oceanclub wrote: »
    http://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/cemeteries/burial-records

According to this page, they tendered for an online search system in the past; anyone know what the current status of this is?

P.

These now online - https://discovereverafter.com/graveyards/179

Very useful!.

More information on Claire Santry's Irish Genealogy News

Yes, I've already found some "new" ancestors using it in conjunction with the death records. Delighted.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 44 paumurp

These now online - https://discovereverafter.com/graveyards/179

Very useful!.

More information on Claire Santry's Irish Genealogy News

They're very useful. Images of the interment books rather than just a list of burials. Name, age, occupation, and address. The address is especially useful.

Also you can see anyone else that is buried in the same plot.

On that, I've a question that someone might be able to help with.
    I've found that in some plots there are people buried there that appear to have no obvious link with with the family. For example, 4 family members in a plot all buried between 1912 and 1922, along with someone buried in 1891, and a child from Waterford buried in 1967

I've another husband and wife, sharing a plot with 2 men with no apparent link, buried at different times previous to them.

Are they likely to be unidentified relatives, or were plots resold?

paumurp wrote: »

Are they likely to be unidentified relatives, or were plots resold?

Glasnevin made graves available to others after five years option to purchase, presumably Deansgrange must have some similar mechanism.

Nevertheless you have to allow for the possibility of some connection to your family, even if it is only a relative of a friend.

• Advertisement

There is a lot of information in these registers, the depth left after each interment and the interment fee.

I was shocked at how the latter had escalated from £60 in 1981 when my father died, to £100 when my mother died in 1987 and E685 in 2007 when we buried our stillborn child. In this case, we got it for little more than half price E390, because they only needed to open up a small amount of the grave, as the baby's coffin was little bigger than a shoe box. Nevertheless, E685 for a normal interment seemed extortionate.

At times of bereavement we pay these fees without question, like robots, but it is something else to see them in the cold light of day.

Graves were definitely resold in Deansgrange. My 2x greatgrandfather is in a grave and 65 years later one other person, unrelated is added.

Glasnevin had quite elaborate rules about when a grave could be resold.

@Tabbey: condolences - that's very sad, and you're right about the price we pay for these things when numb with grief. I tried to debate the cost when my father died (with family) and felt it was a waste to spend money on things that would be cremated, but didn't get very far!

Genealogy Forum Mod

So I used it to find my great-great-grandfather (https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Walsh-5277 death details, at least I think it's him!

Searching, I found a William Walsh, coal porter (job references in his children's marriage certs), who died aged 80 in on October 29th, 1891 in Clarence St, Kingston (which is where a daughter was born).

However, searching the irishgenealogy.ie, there is a matching William Welsh - same date and street, a labourer, with a wife's name who matches my great-great-grandmother BUT his age is 55 in this. (https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/f638643716528

I'm assuming it must be him and that someone was just really careless about ages. (Since he was married in 1851, I'm assuming he was more than 55 at least.)

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

oceanclub wrote: »
    So I used it to find my great-great-grandfather (https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Walsh-5277 death details, at least I think it's him!

Searching, I found a William Walsh, coal porter (job references in his children's marriage certs), who died aged 80 in on October 29th, 1891 in Clarence St, Kingston (which is where a daughter was born).

However, searching the irishgenealogy.ie, there is a matching William Welsh - same date and street, a labourer, with a wife's name who matches my great-great-grandmother BUT his age is 55 in this. (https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/f638643716528

I'm assuming it must be him and that someone was just really careless about ages. (Since he was married in 1851, I'm assuming he was more than 55 at least.)

P.
    I have not been following/read this thread in detail, but on the last post yes, people were careless about ages. Sometimes a 25 year difference might mean a son of the same forename rather than the father. However, there is a clue in ‘senile decay’ being given as cause of death as 55 is too young for ‘old age’ and probably is an error.

The address / coal porter occupation make perfect sense as Clarence Street overlooks the Coal Harbour in Dun Laoghaire and what is now a business park and apartment complex originally was a coal yard (Wallace’s, then Tedcastles). Coal porters were not long-lived, it was a tough job and involved working tough conditions. I’ve seen the term ‘coal porter’ used for the person who kept the fires going in buildings (e.g. hotels) and the man who worked carrying coal /other goods from a ship was described as a ‘quay labourer’ – a description frequently used for a casual ‘docker’.
    (Apologies for topic drift)

I have not been following/read this thread in detail, but on the last post yes, people were careless about ages. Sometimes a 25 year difference might mean a son of the same forename rather than the father. However, there is a clue in ‘senile decay’ being given as cause of death as 55 is too young for ‘old age’ and probably is an error.

The address / coal porter occupation make perfect sense as Clarence Street overlooks the Coal Harbour in Dun Laoghaire and what is now a business park and apartment complex originally was a coal yard (Wallace’s, then Tedcastles). Coal porters were not long-lived, it was a tough job and involved working tough conditions. I’ve seen the term ‘coal porter’ used for the person who kept the fires going in buildings (e.g. hotels) and the man who worked carrying coal /other goods from a ship was described as a ‘quay labourer’ – a description frequently used for a casual ‘docker’.
    (Apologies for topic drift)

Good spot about the senile decay. Yeah, I almost 100% certain it's not a case of a son dying here. His son Michael was also a coal porter and he also died at an early age, 57, of pulmonary tubeculosis (supposedly a much higher incidence in coal workers).

P.

Could be useful if planning a visit.

Could be useful if planning a visit.

Cheers!

One tip I would have is that the co-ordinate system is repeating.

For example, to find a grave 26 B3 West:

1. Go to to the West section.
    2. Find the grave 26 A near the footpath.
    3. The row then goes 26A to 26Z, then 26A1 to 26Z1, then 26 A2 to 26 Z2, then 26 A3 up to 26 B3.

Wish I'd known this on first attempt!

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

These records are great if you've a bunch of Byrnes, Murphys and Smiths. More blanks filled in :)

Advertisement