Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Retinol A - any experiences?

• 25-01-2018 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hello,
    I started using a 1% Retinol A product two months ago. I never use it more than once a week and only use a pea size amount each time. My skin had little to no peeling at first, and no other effects. 
    However, two months later, I am still only using the same amount, once a week but the peeling seems to have got worse and there is a slight 'sunburn' feel in some areas now. I would have thought my skin would be getting more used to it. I have started using a face cloth in evenings and morning to gently exfoliate but perhaps this is irritating it more.
    Does anyone have experience with these type of products? Does your skin ever get used to it? I was using a retinoid product before this so it wasn't like I jumped straight in!
    Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 21 PonyLuv

Hey,

I've found varying results depending on which brand I'm using. I recently used the 1% from The Ordinary and I had the same sunburn, face peeling off experience. I stopped using it as my peeling makeup was not a good look - my skin felt amazing about 3-4 days after stopping. Previously I have used Paula's Choice 1% with zero ill-effects. There was about E75 difference in the cost though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ShiMc

It might depend on your own skin's tolerance to retinoids. I can use .05% about twice a week without irritation but I will peel. I now alternate .05% with .025% every couple of nights and can tolerate it very well. (That's the prescription stuff so very strong). 1% retinol is about the same strength as .025% prescription retinoid. It can actually take several months for your skin to adapt and any extended breaks from regular application can set you back to square one. I would apply a moisturising cream first on the night you use it, wait about 5 to 10 minutes and then apply your retinol. Your skin should get used to it, you just need patience and a high sunscreen!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

I got up to using 0.5% every day,.
    but did peel a lot initially! Dermatologist recommended using Neostrata Bionic Face Cream while using it, not cheap but good stuff! Make sure to leave at least 30 minutes after washing your face before applying the retin A. 1% is very strong to start off on, I'd stop is I were you and go with a lower level

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Stellasmurf

sassyj wrote: »
    I got up to using 0.5% every day,.
    but did peel a lot initially! Dermatologist recommended using Neostrata Bionic Face Cream while using it, not cheap but good stuff! Make sure to leave at least 30 minutes after washing your face before applying the retin A. 1% is very strong to start off on, I'd stop is I were you and go with a lower level

Thanks for all your suggestions. My face actually stopped peeling and I've now started using it twice a week. I apply a facial oil afterwards so I think this has helped.
    Has anyone used the prescription retin a? I'm thinking I might up the strength once I'm finished with current bottle.

Mine was prescription strength, prescibed by dermatologist. The prescription stuff is stronger than anything you get over the counter, doctor / dermatologist should guide you. Be careful with your skin,The Skin Nerd often mentions dancers of using these products without proper advice, some are very strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Stellasmurf

sassyj wrote: »
    Mine was prescription strength, prescibed by dermatologist. The prescription stuff is stronger than anything you get over the counter, doctor / dermatologist should guide you. Be careful with your skin,The Skin Nerd often mentions dancers of using these products without proper advice, some are very strong.
    Thanks Sassy; has it been worth it in your opinion? How is your skin?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Also make sure you use a good sunscreen every day when using retin products, as they increase sun sensitivity.

Thanks Sassy; has it been worth it in your opinion? How is your skin?

Well worth it, skin clarity imported so much, add dark spots lightened. Black heads went, it's the good stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

@sassyj

Do you need to go to a doctor/derma? What do you ask for, or say?

I would like to improve clarity too - don't really get spots, but tone can be uneven, and get blackheads, large pores etc

thanks!

Onkyy seeing this sorry. I got prescription from dermatologist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement