Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir price increase, get out of your contract early

• 31-08-2017 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

I'm not sure how many people are getting these but I received a letter from eir yesterday regarding a €3 price increase on my package.

The letter said that if I was unhappy with the increase I can leave the contract without penalty in the next 30 days. I did just that today and reduced my €140 a month package (broadband and 2 mobiles) to €70 a month (I switched my broadband to sky who currently have it for €30 a month and my 2 mobiles to sim only for €20 a month each)

Again I'm not sure how many people this will benefit but hopefully it helps someone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Del007

Do you have sky tv in order to get the sky broadband for 30?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭doniem

No, it's for new and excisting customers

http://www.sky.com/ireland/broadband-talk/fibre-optic/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Del007

Here's hoping that I get that Eircom increase letter :)

Ring them and tell them you feel their service is worth more than your currently paying, nudge them in the right direction ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭plu

doniem wrote: »
    I'm not sure how many people are getting these but I received a letter from eir yesterday regarding a €3 price increase on my package.

The letter said that if I was unhappy with the increase I can leave the contract without penalty in the next 30 days. I did just that today and reduced my €140 a month package (broadband and 2 mobiles) to €70 a month (I switched my broadband to sky who currently have it for €30 a month and my 2 mobiles to sim only for €20 a month each)

Again I'm not sure how many people this will benefit but hopefully it helps someone.

You should inform eir that you're leaving. Your new provider will tell you that they look after everything. However in my experience of changing you'll continue to get eir bills after the changeover. There's some anomaly about how providers charge for broadband. If you look through the talk to eir / Vodafone forums you'll see loads of people who've moved and continue to receive bills from previous providers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

Is sky offering any mobile free calls bundle, webpage don't say much about it - just landline included in price. I assume if i will take fibre i will not have to pay line rental?

plu wrote: »
    You should inform eir that you're leaving. Your new provider will tell you that they look after everything. However in my experience of changing you'll continue to get eir bills after the changeover. There's some anomaly about how providers charge for broadband. If you look through the talk to eir / Vodafone forums you'll see loads of people who've moved and continue to receive bills from previous providers.

Thanks for the heads up, that was what I did 1st. Customer service had to remove the 2 mobiles from the account in order for sky to take over the landline so all is in order on eir's end.

loki7777 wrote: »
    Is sky offering any mobile free calls bundle, webpage don't say much about it - just landline included in price. I assume if i will take fibre i will not have to pay line rental?

I don't know about the calls because I don't have a landline phone but the line rental is definitely included in the €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I got the letter but have eir bb only so no line. I can't move provider easily. BTW eir increased last September by €5.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I'm with Eir for my Landline, Broadband and Mobile since April of this year and am paying €70 per month and I wouldn't mind getting out of the contract if possible but I didn't receive any letter yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I don't know about the calls because I don't have a landline phone but the line rental is definitely included in the €30.

If you didn't have a landline phone, did eir on give you an actual phone number? I am with them and only have a special reference number but Sky said they need a phone number to take over the broadband. I tried a couple of times in the past but no joy. Eir even said I'd have to go on contract to get the landline phone number activated, even if I didn't have a landline phone.

Aimman wrote: »
    If you didn't have a landline phone, did eir on give you an actual phone number? I am with them and only have a special reference number but Sky said they need a phone number to take over the broadband. I tried a couple of times in the past but no joy. Eir even said I'd have to go on contract to get the landline phone number activated, even if I didn't have a landline phone.

I do have a landline number, I just don't use it. I'm surprised they said that about signing up to a contract to get a number. In a previous house I had no phone line but when I signed up through someone else (I think it was talktalk or digiweb at the time) eircom came out and installed a line free of charge. I had a house phone and 3mb broadband on that line and never entered any agreement with eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I don't have a line but eir gave me an 88XX number I think. Sky told me I would have to order a line from eir before I could migrate to them. Eir wanted to charge for the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

I wouldn't be rushing to join sky if it's fibre you have

Speeds not as good as VF/Eir and the like due to congestion on the backhaul

I wouldn't be rushing to join sky if it's fibre you have

Speeds not as good as VF/Eir and the like due to congestion on the backhaul

I've been with them before for fibre and to be honest I found no difference between eir's fibre and sky's. I'd love to try Vodafone's SIRO but it's not available here yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

doniem wrote:

If you're not an existing sky tv customer must you become one to get they €30 deal. How long is the contract ? Thanks

If you're not an existing sky tv customer must you become one to get they €30 deal. How long is the contract ? Thanks

Yes you must join sky to get the deal, but only as a broadband customer, you don't have to sign up for TV too. It's a 12 month contract.

I'm not advocating sky here by the way, I'm sure there's plenty of other companies offering very good deals at the moment too. This just happened to be the deal I went for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

As much as i was reading: sky is only 12(i think it is the best offer for BB only) and others are min. 18 months - i don't see any free mobile calls add on so i'm going to try Vodafone(should get double speed comparing to eir - which is odd as they are(?) using the same cables) for 40(6m) and 60 after 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

I've been with them before for fibre and to be honest I found no difference between eir's fibre and sky's. I'd love to try Vodafone's SIRO but it's not available here yet.

Plenty of long threads on boards re: the congestion issues with sky fibre

I would look at VF if switching from EIR

Plenty of long threads on boards re: the congestion issues with sky fibre

I would look at VF if switching from EIR

I'm not disputing anyone elses experience just giving mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Thanks for that. Just moved the dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

Will this effect Meteor customers with the changeover as well?

Donal55 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Just moved the dial.

Glad someone got use out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

Thanks OP I got the letter and am tempted to move to Sky to save the €23/month. one thing stopping me, does anyone know if the sky provided kit can easily be used in bridge mode?

I had some hassle getting the eir one setup and don't feel like doing it all again or worse finding out it's not possible and ruining my current convoluted setup!

00sully wrote: »
    Thanks OP I got the letter and am tempted to move to Sky to save the €23/month. one thing stopping me, does anyone know if the sky provided kit can easily be used in bridge mode?

I had some hassle getting the eir one setup and don't feel like doing it all again or worse finding out it's not possible and ruining my current convoluted setup!

Sorry mate, I honestly haven't a clue about the finer points of the router

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

loki7777 wrote: »

Yes, and Sky wiil eke further dosh from you by charging you €30.00 per month line rental ,when all the other providers charge €25.50 per month. Go figure !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Yes, and Sky wiil eke further dosh from you by charging you €30.00 per month line rental ,when all the other providers charge €25.50 per month. Go figure !!!

For some people there will be savings with this.
    In my own case I was on a contract which is just about to finish and I was paying €86 with eir.
    I got bb and talk anytime for €37.50 today with sky for 12 months.
    As another poster said previously, if I pay €20 PAYG for mobile Im still approx €30 better off per month.

It suited me as when I enquired previously with eir both on boards plus in a shop I was told to ring 1901 where they offered me a €10 reduction for the next 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

http://www.sky.com/ireland/broadband-talk/fibre-optic/

Hi

Will sky install a phone line if there isn't one (via eir)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sapphade

I have sky broadband but i didn't like that the router provided was not dual band . I used wireshark to get my sky username and password and then inputed those in to my old eir router. ( i did have to flash that to have admin rights ) i use the eir router in one part of the house and have a second wifi router upstairs .
    http://www.briteccomputers.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=43

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Hi

Will sky install a phone line if there isn't one (via eir)

Wondering this myself - don't have a phone or line in my apartment, so imagine eir might charge me to set one up first before I can avail of the sky offer (or can sky do this directly as gabbo asked)?

Advertisement