Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BBC1, BBC2, UTV and C4 reception poor

• 19-06-2011 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Im in the monaghan area, guess i just want to see if anyone experiencing poor reception on these channels in the border areas?
    its been bad for a while now that i think of it, possibly a year?
    BBC1 so bad sometimes, really snowy, id say its the worst out fo the 4 - RTEs are fine, tv3 and tg4 also pretty good

All tvs in the house seem the same, could it be the booster/splitter that i have is gone bad? oe would that mean the irish channels would go poor too?

Or does anyone know if maybe its the transmitter in the north isnt as strong or something like that?
    thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Brougher & Divis (the usual sources for UK tv in Monaghan) analogue is as good as it ever was afaics, you probably have a poor connection or damaged cable (maybe water getting in).

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭borderfox11

thanks Peter - think ill get someone out to look at the aerial etc, maybe it has moved slightly or something

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The aerial moving slightly wouldn't cause the loss of reception that you seem to be describing. I'd suspect a faulty amp or a cable issue (i.e. water getting in or suchlike) or the aerial's connection enclosure is letting water in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Irishlad11

yeah...we've the same problem, the analogue versions of some of the British channels have gone fuzzy while Irish analogue channels are fine......freeview digital channels are fine, maybe its something to do with the switchover up north

Can you post the UHF channel nos. of the analogue chs. that have 'gone fuzzy' & the same for the Freeview muxes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 foxire

My analogue RTE1 picture is snowy and the picturel from all the other channels are good. I get the RTE1 signal from Cairn Hill. I have a good picture from the Saorview and Freeview channels on my widescreen CRT TV. The same snowy picture is on two different TV,s.

What could the problem be?

foxire

Its weird tonight - BBC1 actually seems far better than last week...BBC2 not so hot tho

just to update this old post rather than open a new thread...

got this guy to check out the aerial system the other day. He noted first that the aerial didnt have an amplifier on it

He put on a "28" amplifier, i assume its 28db or something? Didnt improve the analog channels but was able to pick up some freeview ones - however bbc1 and 2 digital were "blocky" and skipping

He then tried a "18" amplifier as he thought the 28 was too strong - not much difference

Next he changed the aerial cable from aerial to inside the house - no difference

He then got a new aerial he had in the van - connected this up including an amplifier and held it up on the roof, i checked the channels again but analog channels didnt improve

He also bypassed the splitter box in the attic but no difference

Took off the amplifier and left it the way it was - most of the freeview channels he picked up were now gone so i guess the amp was doing something.

So he was out of options then and said there wasnt much more he could do, he charged me very little so it was ok. He was surprised the amp didnt clear the signal up completely, he couldnt explain why not......

My question now is will it be possible to get all the freeview channels in October (i believe this is when the north transmitters get a power increase)

Or should i get someone different to check out the system ???

Appreciate any comments - thanks ;)

Wait until after switchover in October.

Did this guy have a meter with him or was he relying solely on you checking the channels on the tv? That wouldn't exactly be professional.

Funny you mention that Peter - i asked him did he not have some meter to check signal strength and he sorta mumbled about them not being much use and that the one he had was broken etc etc

He also said it wouldnt matter when the power was boosted in October, if i wasnt getting the channels now i wouldnt get them then.....:confused:

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

He also said it wouldnt matter when the power was boosted in October, if i wasnt getting the channels now i wouldnt get them then....

Had he any explanation for the deterioration in analogue reception?

That's the only possible reason he could use to justify a statement like that.

no Ronnie, he put it down to new buildings etc possibly blocking the reception but the house is fairly high up so im not sure about that one.......

That would be a valid reason if it was true. Assuming the transmitter characteristics are the same as before & your aerial system is up to scratch, then some local change would be the likely cause of problems.

Which transmitter are we talking about btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

That would be a valid reason if it was true. Assuming the transmitter characteristics are the same as before & your aerial system is up to scratch, then some local change would be the likely cause of problems.

Do you ever post anything without sounding like a politician

Why bother,?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Why bother,?
    That's a bit uncalled for?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Why bother,?

Play the ball, not the man please.

pretty sure its pointed at the Brougher Mountain one in Enniskillen

See what switchover brings, you might at least get the 3 PSB muxes from Brougher. The commercials are getting significantly less of a boost though.

Advertisement