Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Trek: Discovery - Season 4 - (*** Spoilers***)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tig Notaro confirmed to return as Jett Reno, a slim shimmer of hope for season 4

Contractually it won't be possible but they should just sack half the cast, keep Notaro as chief engineer. She has been a breath of fresh, sarcastic air, stealing every scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

pixelburp wrote: »
    Contractually it won't be possible but they should just sack half the cast, keep Notaro as chief engineer. She has been a breath of fresh, sarcastic air, stealing every scene.

A warp core breach caused by the crew throwing The Burnham into it, would be my preference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe just Burnham TBH. An Ensemble cast can't coexist in the same space as a Lead Character script; I do somewhat sympathise with any writer having to centre a story around Michael, while also giving screen-time to a dozen faces we have had no background or elaboration of. No wonder Detmers PTSD just got lost in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Tig Notaro confirmed to return as Jett Reno, a slim shimmer of hope for season 4

I would not call that a slimmer if hope. I never liked her. She is dull, stuck up and not nice and certainly not how I imagine humans 2 or 3 hundred years from now. So far Discovery has not had one decent or proper engineer but then it never had a proper engine room or warp core either.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

I totally disagree with you. She is a terrible charather. I can not like her at all. Worst engineer ever if you would even call her that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Rawr

Jet Rino did have more of the feel of a Trek engineer and her sarcasm did provide a good bit of grounding to any scene she was in. Badly needed in a show that spends half it's run in OTT special effects hell and the rest of it in whisper-talked moments of overly emoted scene chewery. Much prefered the other Trek engineers though. She doesn't compare well. Even Torres is better, and I never liked her.

On that note though...was she actually Chief Engineer? There are multiple characters who could of been that, but they leave it very ambiguous. (Apparently Cupler isn't even Chief Medical Officer) On that same note; have we ever actually seen Main Engineering on that ship? I'm not sure the spore-drive mushroom-room counted, since that was in addition to what I assume was traditional Warp-Core. Did they forget? Where they that blind when it came to designing a Trek show?

AMKC wrote: »
    I would not call that a slimmer if hope. I never liked her. She is dull, stuck up and not nice and certainly not how I imagine humans 2 or 3 hundred years from now. So far Discovery has not had one decent or proper engineer but then it never had a proper engine room or warp core either.

I don't think a utopia precludes characters from being asshóles; McCoy wasn't exactly a people person, while other characters like Bashir was insufferably arrogant at the start. Reno has a fun, antagonistic manner that suits her position and at least challenges the nauseating love-in that happens on that ship.

AMKC wrote: »
    I totally disagree with you. She is a terrible charather. I can not like her at all. Worst engineer ever if you would even call her that.

She is like John Wayne, Tig Nataro acting range consists of Tig Nataro in a different uniform. Take a look at the Netflix turkey Army of the Dead in which Nataro plays a loud mouth opinionated helicopter pilot…

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

To be honest, Jett seemed to just turn up, when needed to deliver a line then disappear long enough for people to wonder if she's still on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ozark2020

Do people still watch this turd of a show ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Rawr

Ozark2020 wrote: »
    Do people still watch this turd of a show ?

What's left of my curiosity for Discovery might extend to wondering if others have reached the same point as myself, where hope for the shows improvment is pretty much gone and that the last few episodes of Season 3 were such a chore to watch that it's hard to imagine wanting to experience more of that.

I will likely read the Season 4 threads here to see if there's anything worth watching...otherwise I won't bother.

Discovery is not a Good Show, and one that'll never be such until Burnham leaves. I'll probably keep watching it however because a) it's Trek, and b) As someone who has watched the CW stable of Superhero shows, I already have a tolerance for shítty writing that's probably higher than most here :pac:

But that resignation means reading the sledges feels totally pointless. Four seasons in, and it's not like the landscape of this show isn't well signposted by now. I won't defend the thing anymore, but would ask what people are expecting at this stage, bar some easy/cheap snark :)

The Boys on Amazon id recommend to clean the CW taste

The Boys on Amazon id recommend to clean the CW taste

Never said I didn't enjoy the CW shows :) And I've watched The Boys; it's OK but the "shock value" stuff is classic Mark Millar edgelord nonsense while the show itself is as deep as a puddle. Invincible does a similar subversion of superheroes with actual characters and depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Rawr wrote: »

On that note though...was she actually Chief Engineer? There are multiple characters who could of been that, but they leave it very ambiguous. (Apparently Cupler isn't even Chief Medical Officer) On that same note; have we ever actually seen Main Engineering on that ship? I'm not sure the spore-drive mushroom-room counted, since that was in addition to what I assume was traditional Warp-Core. Did they forget? Where they that blind when it came to designing a Trek show?

All part of the failed attempt to be different and not focus on senior staff. He isn't CMO but just gets invited to all the parties. If I was senior staff on that ship I would be getting fair pissy about the captains clear favoritism towards their buddies.

There's a nice running joke in Community about how everything revolves around the seemingly unimportant study group that comes to mind

Never said I didn't enjoy the CW shows :) And I've watched The Boys; it's OK but the "shock value" stuff is classic Mark Millar edgelord nonsense while the show itself is as deep as a puddle. Invincible does a similar subversion of superheroes with actual characters and depth.

Sorry if I asked before but what's a CW show ?

breezy1985 wrote: »

These shows
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrowverse

The writing makes Discovery look like Aaron Sorkin, but the shows often have a very earnest, optimistic heart that's hard to be annoyed at. It's basically the closest to Golden Age Superheroics since Donner's '78 Superman film. Plus Supergirl Season 4 was legitimately good TV and got the balance perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

All part of the failed attempt to be different and not focus on senior staff. He isn't CMO but just gets invited to all the parties. If I was senior staff on that ship I would be getting fair pissy about the captains clear favoritism towards their buddies.
    The Discovery department heads need to be more like Tasha in All Good Things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭pah

Evade wrote: »
    The Discovery department heads need to be more like Tasha in All Good Things Skin of Evil.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 30,814 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

These shows
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrowverse

The writing makes Discovery look like Aaron Sorkin, but the shows often have a very earnest, optimistic heart that's hard to be annoyed at. It's basically the closest to Golden Age Superheroics since Donner's '78 Superman film. Plus Supergirl Season 4 was legitimately good TV and got the balance perfect.

And in a broader sense, The CW is an American channel that makes content geared towards teenagers, so it can often be very overwrought, angsty stuff, with lots of relationship drama and people storming out after poorly communicating their thoughts.

As well as the Arrowverse, they make things like Pretty Little Liars, Vampire Diaries, One Tree Hill etc etc.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    And in a broader sense, The CW is an American channel that makes content geared towards teenagers, so it can often be very overwrought, angsty stuff, with lots of relationship drama and people storming out after poorly communicating their thoughts.

As well as the Arrowverse, they make things like Pretty Little Liars, Vampire Diaries, One Tree Hill etc etc.

All the top ****e!

CW shows were pretty good for a while but they went on too long like the Arrowverse shows.
    The 100, Nikita, Veronica Mars and iZombie are some examples of shows I really liked.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    CW shows were pretty good for a while but they went on too long like the Arrowverse shows.
    The 100, Nikita, Veronica Mars and iZombie are some examples of shows I really liked.

CW caters for a demographic for sure and as you point out when they strike, they're good shows worth watching. The 100 is a funny example because it started out achingly YA, but pivoted into Mad Max apocalyptic violence pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

CW caters for a demographic for sure and as you point out when they strike, they're good shows worth watching. The 100 is a funny example because it started out achingly YA, but pivoted into Mad Max apocalyptic violence pretty quickly.

Yeah 100 went to the dark side very quickly.

The flash has gone on too long, just lost interest few seasons ago, same with Supergirl and Legends, or whatever they're called.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

The flash has gone on too long, just lost interest few seasons ago, same with Supergirl and Legends, or whatever they're called.

I still remember the season 1 episode where it turned, cos myself and the wife were ready to call it and stop watching. Too YA, pretty people having relationship dram ... Oh god that kid just shived someone in the neck :pac:

Yeah I was keeping count while watching and it was quickly going down from 100.

Wow some of those CW shows have 7/8 seasons. I am clearly very out of the loop although I doubt many would suit me anyway as they all have a bit of a Twilight/hunger games look about them

Ms

I used to.like Arrow and it started out great but they really should have finished it and 5 seasons because it has gone on far to long now and hot stupid. I hot bored of it ages ago. The same with Legends of Tomorrow as soon ad that all started to be about magic and religion I got bored of it.
    I still watch Supergirl do and like the Flash still too even do it cam be very silly at times

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

I watched a lot of the CW shows until one day I noticed you'd miss nothing by only watching the season opener, mid-season two parter, and the finale. Everything else is just stalling to get to 24 episodes.

• Advertisement

Evade wrote: »
    I watched a lot of the CW shows until one day I noticed you'd miss nothing by only watching the season opener, mid-season two parter, and the finale. Everything else is just stalling to get to 24 episodes.

Probably a big reason why the aforementioned iZombie and The 100 worked well; they had 13 episode seasons and each episode counted for something. In fact in the end, the fact EVERY episode was literal life or death in The 100 made the show a little exhausting to watch.

Advertisement