Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMC Confirms A Third 'Walking Dead' Series Is Coming

• 05-03-2019 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭

AMC’s expansion plan for The Walking Dead includes indefinite seasons of the main show, new movies with big-name cast members like Andrew Lincoln and continued crossovers between the main show and its spin-off, Fear the Walking Dead. But now we’re starting to hear more about how Fear will not be the only spin-off for long, something that has felt obvious for a while, but now AMC is starting to talk more about it openly.

In a Q4 call (via The Wrap), Ed Carroll, AMC’s chief operating officer, had this to say about a third series in the works:

"That is in active development. We’re not yet at a stage where we’ll be announcing its plans to premiere. But we have hired creative people that have pitched story outlines. We feel very good about the development of that series."

A third Walking Dead series, joining the other two which currently run 16 weeks a year, means that if rotated correctly, AMC could go 48 weeks out of 52 per year with some sort of Walking Dead show airing on Sunday nights. I have previously argued that with dropping ratings and a splintering cast, that tripling down on The Walking Dead seems like an odd move. But AMC’s position is that The Walking Dead is still very strong, despite declines, beating all other cable shows on Sundays and holding its own with the networks as well (though it did used to beat them handily). And then there’s the additional fact that Fear the Walking Dead and The Walking Dead are AMC’s two highest rated programs by a fairly substantial margin. Despite having a lot of prestige programming, none of it puts up the numbers of these series. So why not keep going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Is there really scope at this point for another one? GOT one can understand but this is just another show full of zombies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

They could make 10 different series if they liked, focussing on survivors of the outbreak in different parts of the states or the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would have zero appetite for another series in the vein of TWD or FTWD but they could go in a different direction ala something like Day of the Dead, have it focused on the remnants of a Government/military structure working towards a cure.

Another show centered around a family traversing the landscape would offer zero incentive to watch it. Even as it is, I like FTWD and it's better than TWD overall recently, but I can barely focus on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

The Walking Dead: UK & Ireland might be good
    Focus on a group of people in the UK first and then as the plot moves on they decide to move to Ireland due to its lower population density and therefore less Zombies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

geecee wrote: »
    The Walking Dead: UK & Ireland might be good
    Focus on a group of people in the UK first and then as the plot moves on they decide to move to Ireland due to its lower population density and therefore less Zombies

Completely off-topic but if you're looking for a zombie(ish) movie set in Ireland you should check out The Cured, starring Tommy Vaughan-Lawlor & Ellen Page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I could perhaps get into this third series if they used it as a way to bring the characters of the Telltale Games' series into the live action world of TWD and FTWD.

But I read where AMC were actually trying to buy the IP rights of the game series last year, when Telltale went bust. It became complicated as Kirkman still owns the rights to the characters, Clementine most importantly, and he had some other plans about what he wanted to do with her character at his own Skybound Games company.

The Walking Dead new spin-off confirmed – here's who'll lead the show

The series will reportedly start production on a 10-episode run this summer in Virginia ahead of a 2020 premiere
    Following the success of the main series, plus Fear the Walking Dead, development on a third full series has started, and this one will feature "two young female protagonists".

AMC said in a statement: "[It will] focus on the first generation to come-of-age in the apocalypse as we know it.

"Some will become heroes. Some will become villains. In the end, all of them will be changed forever. Grown-up and cemented in their identities, both good and bad."

Matt Negrete, writer and producer of the Walking Dead franchise, will serve as the showrunner for the new spin-off, which is set to enter production this summer with a release date in 2020

"Showing audiences an unseen pocket of The Walking Dead universe steeped in a new mythology is a very cool way to celebrate a 'Decade of the Dead' on TV and over 15 years of Robert Kirkman's brilliant comic," said the series' chief content officer Scott M Gimple.

"Matt Negrete is one of the best writer-producers in TWD's long history – I'm thrilled to be working beside him to tell stories unlike we've seen before, taking our first step into an even larger world.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,438 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

duridian wrote: »
    I could perhaps get into this third series if they used it as a way to bring the characters of the Telltale Games' series into the live action world of TWD and FTWD.

But I read where AMC were actually trying to buy the IP rights of the game series last year, when Telltale went bust. It became complicated as Kirkman still owns the rights to the characters, Clementine most importantly, and he had some other plans about what he wanted to do with her character at his own Skybound Games company.

The story of Clem and Lee is the best TWD storyline in the franchise (Comic, TV, Game, Novel).I kind of hope AMC would tell their story but I know they would make an absolute balls of it so probably best off left alone.

New spin-off teaser;

The Walking Dead has revealed a first look at its newest spin-off, coming next spring.

Shared on The Walking Dead's official Twitter page, the 37-second video shows the cast teasing the concept and themes of the upcoming series.

Various stars hint at new stories and a "new world" not seen before in the franchise.

Cast members for the show include Annet Mahendru (who starred in The Americans), Aliyah Royale, Alexa Mansour, Nicolas Cantu, and Hal Cumpston.

An exact premiere date hasn't been announced by AMC yet, but it's coming in spring 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Walking Dead with moody teens, great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah that teaser does nothing for me. Smacks of another series of some random gang once again trudging through some other landscape facing various human and zombie adversaries. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's something innovative but I'm skeptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Seen the full trailer on Facebook this morning, just immediately thought of "The Walking Dead: The Snowflake Years".

Don't see this one being a hit. No name for it yet either (AMC have my permission to use the title above though!!)

THE WALKING DEAD UNIVERSE: NEW SERIES Official Trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭snowgal

Yea it doesnt do too much for me at the moment anyway. Ill prob watch the premier and see where its at but I really do think theyre pushing it all too far at this stage. Sure the film will be out next year too....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

"did you just assume I'm a zombie"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It looks terrible but I wasn't expecting anything else really.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

‘The Walking Dead: World Beyond‘ Season 1 premieres Monday, 13th April 2020 on Amazon Prime UK. In the US the series premieres Sunday, April 12th 2020 at 10/9c (after The Walking Dead Season 10 Finale) on AMC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Still need to get round to watching the last season of FTWD. Might get a chance given what's happening in the world.

The Walking Dead: World Beyond Delayed Due to COVID-19
    The latest coronavirus-related delay in the entertainment world comes to us from The Walking Dead universe, which already had to halt production on Fear the Walking Dead's sixth season.

The Walking Dead's second spinoff, The Walking Dead: World Beyond, has now been pushed back to later this year, to a date yet to be determined.

The Walking Dead: World Beyond has actually wrapped shooting, but still needs to complete post-production on a few more episodes and that process has been impacted by fears of spreading COVID-19. So, like FX's Fargo: Season 4, its April airdate is being changed. World Beyond was set to start on Sunday, April 12 at 10 PM ET right after the Season 10 finale of The Walking Dead.

https://twitter.com/TWDWorldBeyond/status/1241114657487826946?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The irony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Ah was looking forward to binge watching later in the year, getting amazon prime for the months trial and doing it then!

The Walking Dead World Beyond: "Generations" Trailer

The Walking Dead: World Beyond Reveals CRM Meaning

Rick Grimes makes an appearance in this all new #TWDWorldBeyond teaser;

The Walking Dead: World Beyond is now set to premiere on October 4th 2020, with the series being released via Amazon Prime in some international territories.
    Set to run for 2 seasons of 10 episodes each, The Walking Dead: World Beyond promises new types of zombies, one of which can be seen in the trailer as bees fly out of its mouth. No story details are known beyond the premise, such as what makes the group want to leave their camp or what they hope to find. But the series promises to reveal more answers about the CRM and the meaning of the three rings on the helicopters who rescued Rick Grimes before his planned standalone movie series.

The Walking Dead: World Beyond premieres on AMC on Oct. 4.

NEW AMAZON TRAILER

Advertisement