Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Line of Duty (BBC) **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

Anyone who hasn't seen season two, the previous season to this, it's well worth a look and it's available on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I loved the way they put
    Jimmy Savile into the story, airbrushing him into a photo
    while every other BBC programme which features any mention of him has been shredded

There is a lot to like in this, some terrific writing and acting. But it does feel like I should have rewatched Series 1 and 2 and kept notes before tackling Series 3.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah, initially I hated the bait and switch with Mays but actually the continuity is brilliant and I remember now hating Denton because I could never figure out if she was bent and not because she was an uninteresting character.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

That was brilliant, glad they have season 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Enjoyed it, thought it was fantastic up to the last ten minutes or so. If I have a quibble it's that it all got a bit "Hollywood" at that stage. Will be interesting to see where they can go with a 4th Season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Marje wrote: »
    That was brilliant, glad they have season 4.

Top notch drama, most of the first hour was set in that glass office and was excellent.

The only really ridiculous part was Kate hanging off the truck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

trashcan wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see where they can go with a 4th Season.

there's no way Kate can ever work undercover again.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,910 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wow nail biting till the end

• Registered Users Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

there's no way Kate can ever work undercover again.

Agreed, heck Denton figured out her very quickly, so after capturing the caddy, it would just be absurd even for this sort of show for her to be able to do it again.

I dunno, I suppose the next series can be about trying to track down whoever groomed the caddy.

Got a little "B Movie Hollywood" in the last ten minutes, but **** it was so engrossed, have to give it a free pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Just watched all 3 seasons in the last two months. The way the caddy story had continuity from season 1 right through until this week's episode was brilliant. It made for a proper trilogy. Best TV I've seen in ages, especially season 2 and 3, and I probably watch way too much TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Top notch drama, most of the first hour was set in that glass office and was excellent.

The only really ridiculous part was Kate hanging off the truck.

Was really good,agreed about the Hollywood tactics at the end..I also didn't really buy Dot jumping in front of Kate at the end to save her and thereby get himself killed given the lengths he went to to get to that point....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Great stuff, roll on series 4.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Strange to continue a series after doing the what-happened-next thing at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Strange to continue a series after doing the what-happened-next thing at the end.

They've done that for every series so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

The I'm still a bit confused with Denton. Was she actually totally innocent or not?
    I thought they left it too ambivalent in series 2. I guess I could rematch but found her story almost too grim and unrelenting in s2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

DeepBlue wrote: »
    The I'm still a bit confused with Denton. Was she actually totally innocent or not?
    I thought they left it too ambivalent in series 2. I guess I could rematch but found her story almost too grim and unrelenting in s2.

I found her character to be very well done. Conniving, vindictive, self deluded wagon. I've met at least two people like her before. She took the money and helped to spring the gangster, and even though she changed her mind during the act, three of her colleagues were murdered including one being burned to death. She may have convinced herself that she did it to try and help the teenage girl from being victimised, but the money was part of her reason for taking part. It's the denial of any blame at all, even to point of self delusion, that makes me dislike her.

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Was really good,agreed about the Hollywood tactics at the end..I also didn't really buy Dot jumping in front of Kate at the end to save her and thereby get himself killed given the lengths he went to to get to that point....

Dot genuinely did like Kate though, he was genuinely upset when he found out she investigated him and the final chat they had she did reach out to him. Dot I suspect was a guy despite all the swagger and macho bollocks was a lonely enough dude who had only a million phones for friends.

Also the gunman in the back of the car had shot him as well, so he knew he was a goner one way or the other, something which Kate did imply when she told him the only way out was to come into the police and confess all his crimes.

Watched it again last night, I loved the springing of Dot, but I just wished the final chase had been a little less silly. Way to many chances for everyone to shoot each other spurned and the worst getaway driver ever.:D

Still though, compared to the much vaunted GOT, its nice to actually a satisfying conclusion to a series which wraps up so much but still leaves plenty of scope for another series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

what a brilliant 90 mins of tv, yeah the bit with Kate hanging off the truck was OTT, but really I was shouting at the telly for the last 15 minutes - had to park it for 2 weeks and re-watch seasons 1 and 2 to remember the whole Caddy thing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭appledrop

Amazing show what a programme. Raging that I only found it this series +missed 1+ 2. I know the chasing scenes were a bit ridiculous but it was brillant when Dot was just sitting there and then did a runner. That's the thing about the show the writer is great at throwing in the twists. Can't wait for the next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

appledrop wrote: »
    Amazing show what a programme. Raging that I only found it this series +missed 1+ 2. I know the chasing scenes were a bit ridiculous but it was brillant when Dot was just sitting there and then did a runner. That's the thing about the show the writer is great at throwing in the twists. Can't wait for the next season.

1 & 2 are on Netflix (or so I have been told)

• Advertisement

cjmcork wrote: »
    1 & 2 are on Netflix (or so I have been told)

They are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Does anyone know if there is a book to go with all of the series?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've watched 3 episodes of the first season on Netflix. Tony Gates is a tool on a par with Jimmy McNulty, I hope he burns. It's a decent enough show overall and entertaining, but I feel a little cheated by it somehow. It's a touch sensationalist and prone to some ropey dialogue now and then. Still, I'll crack on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

I've watched 3 episodes of the first season on Netflix. Tony Gates is a tool on a par with Jimmy McNulty, I hope he burns. It's a decent enough show overall and entertaining, but I feel a little cheated by it somehow. It's a touch sensationalist and prone to some ropey dialogue now and then. Still, I'll crack on.

Watched series one as well .Did not think it was that good but I thought that series two was very very good.

Highly recommend watching serious two

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm not totally down on it, but in the end it felt they like were throwing anything at the wall in the hope it'd stick. Felt like I could fast forward parts and not miss much. Certainly not finely tuned plotting. Ridiculous overuse of the word 'son', too. The update on the characters at the end came out of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Great news season 5 announced before season 4 starts filming (and I only learnt last week it's filmed in Belfast).
    Acclaimed BBC2 drama Line of Duty is to switch to BBC1 for two more series after it broke ratings records with more than 5 million viewers.

The fourth and fifth series of the Jed Mercurio police corruption drama, starring Martin Compston and Vicky McClure, will air on BBC1 after three series on BBC2.

The third series, which featured Keeley Hawes and Daniel Mays, ended last week with 5.6 million viewers.

It averaged more than 5 million viewers across its five-part run, toppling Wolf Hall as BBC2’s biggest drama since modern ratings methodology was introduced in 2002

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Man I'm good...
    Basq wrote: »
    Keep forgetting this is BBC2..

.. considering it's ratings, you'd think they'd have moved it to BBC1 by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That gunshot from the bridge was ridiculous, but the whole last 45 minutes made for fantastic TV.

Concluded Line of Duty s2, certainly a lot better than s1. More at stake, better flow to it. Couldn't help but think of 24 - framing someone, some sort of diabolical conspiracy element higher up the chain and using a car to pin someone against a wall - that's right out of Jack Bauer's school of torture. Denton really turned the tables on them in 2.02.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,910 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Line Of Duty – which is moving from BBC Two to BBC One – has tapped Thandie Newton (Rogue, The Slap) to play the new target of AC-12 in the show’s upcoming fourth season

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2016/08/line-duty-adds-thandie-newton-season-4/

Advertisement