Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Call the Midwife

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭brian_t

The last episode of this season (February 19) will be shown a half hour later then usual to avoid a clash with Coronation Street.
    BBC moves Call the Midwife to avoid Coronation Street clash

Corporation avoids head to head after rival schedules long-running soap against hit drama on 19 February

The BBC has moved the final episode of hit Sunday night drama Call the Midwife to avoid a clash with ITV1's Coronation Street.

BBC1 series about 1950s midwifery will run half an hour later than its usual 8pm time slot, after ITV decided to schedule an episode of its flagship soap against the show.

BBC executives made the decision after draft programme schedules released early on Wednesday revealed that on Sunday 19 February, ITV had rejigged its usual lineup and put Coronation Street against Call the Midwife at 8pm.

A BBC insider said: "Call the Midwife has been the standout hit of the year and it's both surprising and disappointing for viewers that ITV1 were prepared to sacrifice an episode of Coronation Street just to damage its audience."

Call The Midwife, starring Miranda Hart, has attracted audiences of up to 9 million – rising to more than 10 million when seven-day timeshifted viewing is added – and has already been recommissioned for a second series.

Like all good dramas there is also a twist in the tale. Call the Midwife has been so popular that the BBC decided to launch the second series of Downton Abbey rival Upstairs Downstairs on the back of its final episode.

ITV denied its decision to put Coronation Street on a Sunday night was designed to sabotage BBC1's lineup and said it was because that week's Thursday night episode of the soap has to be moved to accommodate a Uefa Europa League football match.

An ITV spokesman said: "It's because the Porto v Manchester City match is on that Thursday so Coronation Street has been displaced as a result. The Sunday is the earliest we can book it in."

The change in lineup means ITV1's Sunday night regular Dancing on Ice, which has dipped in the ratings, will move earlier to 6.05pm.

Dancing on Ice will be followed by Coronation Street at 8pm, long-running safari drama Wild at Heart at 8.30pm – which will play against the later Call the Midwife – then the Dancing on Ice skate-off at 9.30pm, against Upstairs Downstairs.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/feb/08/bbc-call-midwife-coronation-street?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

All over now until next year :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Dovies wrote: »
    All over now until next year :(:(
    Yup. I confess to being a little disappointed with the final episode though; a little dull at times. Jenny Lee is becoming a bit moany and blah, and I groaned when Tina O'Brien appeared.

Loved all to do with Chuffy though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The last episode wasn't the best but was still enjoyable.
    It was at least still much better than the rubbish that came on after it (Upstairs Downstairs).
    Nothing to watch of any decency around this time slot on a Sunday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ya I quiet enjoyed it. It was a nice end to the series anyway. Hope they continue it next year. The storylines have been very touching and heart warming.

Loved last nights episode with the triplets and Camilla getting Married to Peter.
    I was a bit surprised at Camilla for almost ending it with Peter, they were so good together. She at least thought long and hard and realised her mother was just getting in the way of her happiness. The whole thing about the dress was quiet funny when she said she wasn't entitled to a white one, think the mother didn't like that but the mother herself was a bit snobby though. Camilla married for love and he loves her so what more could the mother want just because he wasn't in the army but in the police force. Meant she looked down her nose at him with disapproval. Camilla is a grown woman she can make up her own mind no need for her mother to be butting in like that.

Wonder what will happen between Jenny and Jimmy. There has to be more to tell though? She is telling the story from when she is an older woman so surely there is more to her story? Love to see how things pan out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Biggins wrote: »
    It was at least still much better than the rubbish that came on after it (Upstairs Downstairs).

Yeah, it wasn't great, was it? Really didn't hold my attention and I have never been able to warm to Keeley Hawes. I didn't enjoy the first series either though, so didn't have high expectations for this one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

doovdela wrote: »
    ...Wonder what will happen between Jenny and Jimmy. There has to be more to tell though? She is telling the story from when she is an older woman so surely there is more to her story? Love to see how things pan out!

The original book tells what happens (wife read it and told me) but its not for me to spoil any of your future enjoyment here. :)

I posted a link already that says there will indeed be a second series.
    That was almost assured when it got 8 Million plus, tuning in.
    Yeah, it wasn't great, was it? Really didn't hold my attention and I have never been able to warm to Keeley Hawes. I didn't enjoy the first series either though, so didn't have high expectations for this one.

I posted the following comment about Up/Downstairs on (England) The Times site review of the show (and they didn't give it a good review either):
    I watched with interest "Upstairs Downstairs" from the BBC last night.
    I had high hopes it would be of the high quality drama we oft times find on the BBC - sadly I was let down greatly.
    The acting was standard fare, nothing exceptional, sometimes even stuffy to be honest.
    The storylines while trying to stick to real history events, came across as slow and too drawn out. Frankly it was hard work sticking with the show. It was grey, dull and the characters held little interest. I ended up not caring what happened to most of them or interested in the hints of a possible back story.

The BBC can be better than this. The preceding show "Call The Midwife" had viewing figures of 8 Million - possibly near 10 million for its final part.
    I cannot see in all honesty "Upstairs Downstairs" reaping such viewing numbers based on the quality and boring, numbness of last night first returning episode.

...And thats a shame. The BBC can do better when it really wants to!

I'm sticking with Downton Abbey!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭patk72

Anyone know what happened to the BBC drama call the midwife they showed 3 of the 6 episodes the last shown 22/6 but it seems to have disappeared from the schedule,very interesting drama but is it on again?

The BBC showed the series originally from the 15th Jan to the 19th of February. They then repeated the series on their BBC HD channel from the 17th March to the 21st April. Then they showed 3 episodes last month and dropped it.
    That is very unlike the BBC.

I'm afraid that it's not in the schedules for the rest of this month and for the first half of August they won't have room for it with the Olympics been on.

I don't know when they will show the remaining 3 episodes.

The BBC will show a Call the Midwife Christmas special this year and they are making a second series of 8 episodes to air in the middle of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flip Flop

brian_t wrote: »
    The BBC showed the series originally from the 15th Jan to the 19th of February. They then repeated the series on their BBC HD channel from the 17th March to the 21st April. Then they showed 3 episodes last month and dropped it.
    That is very unlike the BBC.

I'm afraid that it's not in the schedules for the rest of this month and for the first half of August they won't have room for it with the Olympics been on.

I don't know when they will show the remaining 3 episodes.

The BBC will show a Call the Midwife Christmas special this year and they are making a second series of 8 episodes to air in the middle of next year.

As you said "Call the Midwife" was first shown on BBC One in January and February of this year. It was the most successful launch of a drama on the BBC for ten years averaging between 8 and 9 million viewers. It was then repeated on both BBC 4 and the BBC HD channel in March and April. However when the BBC decided to show it for a third time on BBC One in June, it did so to terrible viewing figures of around 2 million viewers. That figure is just not acceptable for the 9.00pm BBC One slot, even during the Summer. I suspect for that reason that the rest of the repeat showings have been cancelled. I would suggest purchasing the DVD boxset online if you wish to watch the rest of the series.

• Advertisement

Flip Flop wrote: »
    However when the BBC decided to show it for a third time on BBC One in June, it did so to terrible viewing figures of around 2 million viewers.

It was replaced on a Friday evening with repeats of New Tricks which I gather does well in the ratings even when repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,842 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Season 2 starts this Sunday at 8pm on BBC 1

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

CTMW threads merged.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Season 2 starts this Sunday at 8pm on BBC 1

Watched it last night. Brilliant!! Love this programme. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I have only watched the first episode of season one and welll... it was not for the squeamish.

Does it get better or continue in the vein of bed pans and people talking about "whiffy under carriages"?

I'm not sure I have the stomach for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Its a bit more detailed in this series compared to the last one. Its interesting though its showing how hard life was back then its only now you realise that when you see it in the eyes of the 1950's.

See Miranda Hart won an NTA for her role. Well done her - she is brilliant in this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭swimgal

Anyone know when there is a repeat of this on? Can't seem to find where it says it online

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

swimgal wrote: »
    Anyone know when there is a repeat of this on? Can't seem to find where it says it online

The repeat was on yesterday I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭swimgal

oh ono :( thanks for your reply!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,842 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

BBC have commissioned a Season 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Sorry if I missed it, but very surprised we don't have a Call the Midwife thread.

I am absolutely hooked on this programme, and think it is genuinely one of the best programmes ever made, and certainly one of the best on tv at the moment .

The acting is superb, and finding this series (5) particularly good, as it's covering some really hart-hitting topics, particularly the topic of thalidomide, but also the changes in society more generally. It wasn't all that long ago, yet was such a different time.

Are there many others watching it, and what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭squonk

Wasn't Miranda Hart in it for a while at least? I'd watch it if she was in it more though I suspect she's not funny in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Yeah she was in maybe s3&4, only a little bit in the last one and not at all this season. I like it, have to catch up on the last two of this season

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LennieB

Yes, I'm a big fan of CTM, being watching it since series 1, and have to agree that this particular series is superb, the storylines are great, very emotive and the acting from all involved is just brilliant. The time and place are so well captured.

Re Miranda Hart, yep she was in the first few series, and played Chummy, a really wonderful character .

I didn't watch the earlier series until I saw them on netflix when I got it last year, and binge watched them. It can be unusual to see a series get better and better as it goes on, but definitely the case with CTM, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭squonk

I caught snippets on RTE from time to time. It looks good alright. I might sit downa nd watch it all at some stage. I need my retirement or some unemployment to come around at this stage there are so many shows in that category!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

My wife loves it but always gives out that the doctor and his wife are appalling actors

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭appledrop

I really enjoy Call the Midwife. I have been watching it since the start and it is especially good this series. However Sundays episode freaked me out as I'm 5 mths pregnant and I nearly passed out when the young girl was loosing all the blood and her mother pulled out part of her womb!

It's usually a more relaxing Sunday night programme! I have read the books that the programme is based on and they are really good.

• Advertisement

appledrop wrote: »
    I really enjoy Call the Midwife. I have been watching it since the start and it is especially good this series. However Sundays episode freaked me out as I'm 5 mths pregnant and I nearly passed out when the young girl was loosing all the blood and her mother pulled out part of her womb!

It's usually a more relaxing Sunday night programme! I have read the books that the programme is based on and they are really good.

Can completely understand that appledrop. That bit was very hard to watch, even without being pregnant .

It really puts into perspective though how far we've come on in society in a relatively short time, regarding teenage pregnancies / unmarried mothers.

Advertisement