Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Discworld reading order

• 07-06-2006 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

the-discworld-reading-order-guide-colour-1-25.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Is is a requisite to read the books in a rough order?

I picked up my first Pratchett - Small Gods - last week on a recommendation and am halfway through.
    When I'm done - should I go all the way back, or perhaps just read "Pyramids" as per that chart...

Render unto me your advice ye Discworld nerds. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Just saw this post now as I don't come to this forum often.

Nice post Thaedydal :D

I would say it is not exactly a pre-requisite to read them in order but you can miss out on some good in-jokes or the importance of characters from previous books if you just jump straight into the middle of the series.

I found one or two of the earlier books to be a bit over the top in places, just moving from surreal to bizarre towards the end. That said, stick with it and you grow to love the characters. Books centred around The Watch are definitely my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

i just read them in the order they appear in the first few pages in most terry pratchett books.. and the novel i started on was Sourcery am i going wrong? did i throw myself in the deep end???

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

If you can read them in chronological order, can't go wrong there, starting with the colour of magic

Not strictly necessary, but its great watching the humour and the characters evolve- it's hard not to feel for Sam Vimes, Death, and the witches by this point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Nice, stickied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Is is a requisite to read the books in a rough order?

I picked up my first Pratchett - Small Gods - last week on a recommendation and am halfway through.
    When I'm done - should I go all the way back, or perhaps just read "Pyramids" as per that chart...

Render unto me your advice ye Discworld nerds. :)
    Well a lot of the books that are clumped together there will feature the same set of characters.

Pyramids is the first one I ever read actualy.

I haven't read a Discworld novel in a great many years... there certainly are a lot more of them these days.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The newer ones just get better and better. They're less laugh out loud funny but more gripping and interesting with more subtle humour. I think Terry is getting angry in his old age!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Thanks for the tips, folks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

I just finished Small Gods and I'm reading in chronological order. I love the series and it's nice to switch from Witched to Guards to Wizards to Death and so on. It keeps it fresh and fun. Highly recommended!

Dredging up the thread here but what are the ones in green? I've never heard of them..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The green ones are short stories that were part of collections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Are there some of those out of chronological order or am I going mad? I would have assumed the best way would be in order... or is this some genius new method of sorting them into relelvant characters. Must look over the old books... I know I've read them all, but it gets to the stage when they all blend into one over the years. Hmmm.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Is "Wintersmith" a real discworld book or something similar to "Maurice and the Amazing Rodents"? i.e. set in the discworld but aimed at younger kids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It is a real discworld book it comes after wee free men and hatfull of sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Cheers for clearing that up! I read Wintersmith when it cam out but couldn't figure out the back-story references in it! I'd never even heard of those two books till I saw this thread! Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Quondam

It really doesn't matter where you start as long as you do. I read Nightwatch first but that could nearly stand on it's own as a crime drama. One or two out of sequence will not ruin it as there are so many stroy arcs in the verse.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭CyanRain

I read Colour of Magic first. I was immediatley confused, confuzzled, puzzled, whatever, and had no plans of ever reading a Terry Pratchett book again.

Until Thud! came out, and it was highly recommended to me by a friend. I read the book, fell in love, and now have an almost complete collection of Discworld.

But to be honest, it doesn't really matter which order you read them in. Most plot holes that you may miss out on are pretty self-explanatory. The characters may have developed over time, but not so signifigantly that it makes it impossible to read Thud! without reading Nightwatch or the likes first.

(Also, some books center around a character never before featured, such as Making Money, which is Terry's best book yet in my opinion.)

Scratch that, I haven't read Going Postal.
    It was almost like he predicted the Recession and threw it int oa medieval/fantasy setting. Bloody brilliant.

Now I'm blabbing, that's why I don't join forums as much nowadays. All I'm trying to say is, read them in whatever order you want. It doesn't really matter. It would be nice to read them in perfect roder, but not necessary. Nice chart by the way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Gagalady

That's funny - I've only read Colour of Magic and I feel like an addict already! As soon as I put it down I wanted to read more in the series but I STILL haven't found the second book (the Rites one) in shops! Very frustrating!

Good to know some people think his later stuff is better. Also, my friend mentioned the Banks/Finance one is basically a reflection of the banking that caused the recession today - is that true?

Thanks to OP for the thread - very helpful! Now if I could only find the books in bookstores (I don't like ordering online... I like bookstores!!)

Oh - I thought the second book written was Equal Rites... am I wrong about that? Also - which one is the finance/banking book?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭CyanRain

Gagalady wrote: »
    Oh - I thought the second book written was Equal Rites... am I wrong about that? Also - which one is the finance/banking book?

Making Money

• Advertisement

Hmmm.... so am I just being dumb - I don't see that on the OP's chart...??

Is it not a Discworld novel? What sort of a book is it then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that chart is several years old, Making Money is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

Funnily enough i read Truckers as a kid and hated it so avoided Pratchett for years. I was struck for something in the library one day though so picked up Small Gods and i was hooked!

Have never read them in order and there's one or two of the older ones i can never seem to get my hands on so have missed completely. Missing out on plot links just gives you a good excuse to go back and read an old favourite again ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Gingerbreaddan

Started with Mort and from there have pretty much read them all in the order they've been published. (although i've skipped a few of the rincewind ones as they just never appealed)

I loved the witches sequence, I thought it ended with Carpe Jugulum...but can anyone tell me is it continued in the young adult books?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

I read Pyramids first I think, then Reaper Man and those two will always hold a special place in my heart... Started buying them in earnest (again going by the list inside the cover) and gotta say I love the Rincewind books! The colour of Magic and the Light Fantastic are an excellent start to the series in my opinion though you can definitely see how much the writing has changed to the present books... On the list inside the cover, I have noticed that in different editions the order is changed, Anyone know why that is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭kittykrazy

I read Guards Guards first and was hooked. I think my favorites so far have been all the watch series (especially Nightwatch), Pyramids and Monstrous Regiment. I'm not a big fan of the witch ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

Agh!! I haven't read a discworld in about 2 years, disgraceful! I must start back! :D They are classics!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mk1600

I read them in order until pyramids and stopped for a few years. Read fairly haphazardly for a while after that (thief of time, small gods, moving pictures) then read Guards and was back on the trail.

It doesn't matter what order you read the books in my opinion but there is no better feeling than realizing you missed one in a series (I missed feet of clay in the guards books).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I recommend reading them any old way you can! Then at your leisure go back and start somewhere in the pile again, repeat... ad infinitum!! There is a book for every mood.

Enjoy :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Miles81

I just started reading the first one I could find, then the second, etc in no particular order.

It worked fine for me

Advertisement