Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Discworld reading order

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Yeah, I don't think it matters too much really. The only one that really continues directly on from a previous book is The Light Fantastic which continues the story from The Colour of Magic. Other than that, I think the Characters and stories are very accessible to anyone pretty much at any point. I certainly never worried about reading them in any particular order.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

gufnork wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't think it matters too much really. The only one that really continues directly on from a previous book is The Light Fantastic which continues the story from The Colour of Magic. Other than that, I think the Characters and stories are very accessible to anyone pretty much at any point. I certainly never worried about reading them in any particular order.

I read sorcery, then the light fantasic and then the colour of magic. Of course I had to reread tlf and sorcery afterwards, but it didn't bother me any

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

Read them all. Then do it again. Hope for more. A magic recipe.
    Nation did worry me, but the man is not well and knows it, so he wants to get all his ideas out, I imagine. Grateful for all he did, but hope for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Arise Thread! Arise!

Thinking of starting reading some of this guys books. I've only read one or two in years gone by.

Where is the "natural" place to start, doesn't necessarily have to be the 1st published or the 1st chronological.

I don't really understand the graph of the 1st page to be a total dumb*** here :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Cormac... wrote: »
    Arise Thread! Arise!

Thinking of starting reading some of this guys books. I've only read one or two in years gone by.

Where is the "natural" place to start, doesn't necessarily have to be the 1st published or the 1st chronological.

I don't really understand the graph of the 1st page to be a total dumb*** here :P

Start with Guards, Guards. If you like it, there's more in that thread, and you can branch out.

The first book is The Colour of Magic, and it's excellent, but less accessible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

"The Colour of Magic" IS an OK place to start; the Wizards, the Discworld and Unseen University.

but the first one I read was "Wyrd Sisters" and I was instantly hooked (I like both witchcraft and Shakespeare, so...)
    "Guards, Guards!" would be another natural starting point if you like "police" fiction, there are a lot of very funny allusions in it; and the Police theme is continued in Men at Arms, etc.

Personal fave - and you don't need to have read any others to enjoy this - is "Monstrous Regiment" - any hints I give would count as spoilers, so - *gags self*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I got into pratchett through wings which I picked up at a second hand shop, then saw the colour of magic on tv when I recognised the name. After that I've been buying the books according to the order in which they were written. Every now and again I get one out of sequence as a gift or something :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I read the whole lot in the order they were originally published, finished the latest Steam and now going back and listening to them all as audio books. The running order for the listen to has recently started with the Watch series Guards Guards, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo, Fifth Elephant, Night Watch, Thud and ending in Snuff (more Vimes really than Watch) which I'm still listening to atm.

Bit late now but if I had kids of the right age I'd be reading Where's My Cow :(

Can't really decide where to go next? Probably listen to the Ancient Civilisations: Pyramids and Small Gods then the Witches then Death. Will leave the Rincewind ones till last as I've probably had enough of him having read all the Rincewind books at least twice. That still leaves what some call the "Industrial Revolution Series" which are some of my favorites Moving Pictures, The Truth, Monstrous Regiment, Going Postal and Making Money to fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

After watching Sky Version of The Colour of Magic at Christmas having previously watched Going Postal and The Hogfather I decided to start reading the books.

Ive read 4 in the last month, occasionally getting sucked it and realizing it was ridiculous O'Clock it's going to be a busy year getting through them all.

Advertisement